Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Office 2010 support ending - help

Supine

Rough Like Badger
Hiya

My mum uses office 2010 for a bit of word processing etc. She has a legal copy she occasionally uses.

She is now getting constant pop-ups saying she needs to upgrade to a office 365 subscription but she can't justify a sub of 79 quid per year.

Does she have any options to keep using a bog standard version without subs?

not sure about the MS Office options.

at the risk of stating the bloody obvious, there are open source alternatives like libre office - it can open / save in doc or docx format, although it prefers its own format.

some of the commands / buttons are subtly different which can take a bit of getting the hang of (although i use MS office at work and libre office at home and don't often cock things up) and it can occasionally get untidy if you transfer a document from one to the other that's got a lot of formatting and / or tables in.

weltweit

I use Office365 at work and Apache OpenOffice at home. But I don't tend to do complex things at home.

However even at work I probably don't ever use more than 10-20% of the software's capabilities.

two sheds

Least noticed poster 2007
not sure about the MS Office options.

at the risk of stating the bloody obvious, there are open source alternatives like libre office - it can open / save in doc or docx format, although it prefers its own format.

some of the commands / buttons are subtly different which can take a bit of getting the hang of (although i use MS office at work and libre office at home and don't often cock things up) and it can occasionally get untidy if you transfer a document from one to the other that's got a lot of formatting and / or tables in.
Yep a lot of track changes can be a problem. I've also had a (small) issue trying to delete comments that someone has introduced - they're shown as crossed out but aren't actually deleted. I have to go into Word under Win7 and delete them.

I doubt Supine's mum will have problems with that though.

Supine

Rough Like Badger
Just to say my mum is 78 so a radical change of software wouldn't be easy. And she shares docs with lots of organisations so word compatibility is essential.

two sheds

Least noticed poster 2007
Indeed, and I've had problems in the past from different Word versions not being compatible.

RubyToogood

can't remember what goes here
Has she had a Windows update recently? I have Office 2010 and every time I have a Windows update it sets 365 as the default application for docs. So when I open a Word file or whatever it nags me to buy an Office 365 subscription. Then I do this to put it back:
  1. Find the Office 2010 .exe file (the original installation file - I have put this on my desktop now as I've had to do this so many times).
  2. Double click it to open. Say yes to the thing that asks if you want to make changes to your computer.
  3. When it asks me if I want to repair Office 2010 or do various other things, choose repair (see below)
  4. Do any OKing etc.
  5. All sorted.
1580601757117.png

Last edited:

RoyReed

Must fly!
Hiya

My mum uses office 2010 for a bit of word processing etc. She has a legal copy she occasionally uses.

She is now getting constant pop-ups saying she needs to upgrade to a office 365 subscription but she can't justify a sub of 79 quid per year.

Does she have any options to keep using a bog standard version without subs?
If your mum has a legit copy of Office 2010 she can carry on using it for as long as she wants.

Assuming she's on Win10, where it says "search the web and windows" type "notifications".

At the top of the of the popup menu you should see something that says "Notications and action settings". Click on that and from there you can disable notications for Office 365.

You can also choose to uninstall the "Get Office 365" app (Settings > System > Apps, select Get Office 365, select uninstall).

cybershot

For what it’s worth office is as buggy windows itself for security holes. If you’ve got office installed you probably notice patch Tuesday takes a bit longer than on computers that don’t. If you install office 2010 fresh from day one media I think there’s well over 100 patches that come down from windows update.

So like windows 7 last month. Support ends which means no more patches for security holes. You can continue to use it but it’s purely at your risk.

however like with any computer The biggest security risk to it is the user itself. If your mum is the sort to never click a phishing email or go onto dodgy sites or click dodgy exe files then there’s a good chance you can carry on using 2010 and not worry.

don’t like the sound of that or don’t want to take the risk. You can still get stand alone single one time purchase of office 2019. A legit copy where the license can be transferred to another computer should one be purchased will cost you about £90. A one off payment and will be supported for 10 years just like 2010 was.

You can also try amazon/eBay and try 3rd party sellers who will sell you a digital license key of pro plus for about a tenner. These license keys will be essentially stolen from organisations and allow about 500 activations at a time so moving it to another computer down the line might not work but for a tenner. You just buy it again.

Hope the keys never expire or get black listed and you’ve saved yourself a few quid.

UnderAnOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
I did the route that cybershot suggested but out of curiosity installed Libre Office. I many ways I find Libre Office more intuitive. It's actually more like older versions of Office then Office itself. Which works for me as ive not had to use this kind of software much for a good few years, but a fair bit when I was younger.

cybershot

Oh, as someone mentioned above. If you know a student. Ask them or their parents to get access to their cut price deals via NUS/Unidays.

If a uni student is studying a STEM subject. Even better. They have access to azure dev tools and can pretty much download any Microsoft product for free. For research purposes only of course. 😉

cybershot

There’s also the Microsoft home use program. Which used to be ace. If your organisation was enterprise licensed then employees could buy office for a tenner. Most organisations didn’t tell you this because they felt it just put more pressure on their IT support teams. However it’s gone a bit crap now and like these 2010 notifications pushes you down the subscription route. But you can save 30% on that.

Office 2010 support doesn’t end until 13th October so there’s no rush to jump to any other solution just yet.

mauvais

change has become unavoidable
I discovered recently that having an alumni address (@alumni.somewhere.ac.uk) is likely to get you O365 for free. Works for me.

In the OP's case, she can do nothing, just won't get updates.

Supine

Rough Like Badger
Thanks all. Stopping the notifications seems to have done the trick for now :thumbs:

I also noticed Google Chrome was loading at least twenty windows including avg and other random websites. Somehow they got into the autoload Web pages on startup setting. Malaware bytes found 6 nasties which have been removed. I suspect my sisters kids have been on her laptop :)

UnderAnOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
I'm actually quite liking Libre Office, as I mentioned it harks back more to the days when I used Office more regularly at work, but I'm some agency work somewhere and the full time staff have started asking me for help with their basic IT stuff and I've realised that I really don't know my way around the newer versions all that well. Got a key from ebay for £7 which seems worth it to keep my hand in and the OH prefers Office anyhow. I know you shouldn't use it for work as it's a bit dodgy, but for my use it's a bargain, without having to get some dodgy torrent.

UnderAnOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
Hmmm, the ebay key worked for 2019, in a way the dodgy one I got for 2013 didn't. Gave up trying to get them to sort it for the sake of a fiver. So that's a win.

What seems frustrating on 2019 is there is no customising what gets installed. I'm not massively short of space, but still it's on an SSD, so like to keep an eye on things. Can't see why I need to have Access or Outlook when I use neither.

B.I.G

Hmmm, the ebay key worked for 2019, in a way the dodgy one I got for 2013 didn't. Gave up trying to get them to sort it for the sake of a fiver. So that's a win.

What seems frustrating on 2019 is there is no customising what gets installed. I'm not massively short of space, but still it's on an SSD, so like to keep an eye on things. Can't see why I need to have Access or Outlook when I use neither.

B.I.G

That seems a lot more fucking around then it used, but thanks though.
The instructions are even more complicated than the reality but definitely harder than selecting what you want.

Its just the configuration xml which needs a brief edit from the default. Then running the command once to download from the command line, and once again with a different switch to install.

cybershot

The instructions are even more complicated than the reality but definitely harder than selecting what you want.

Its just the configuration xml which needs a brief edit from the default. Then running the command once to download from the command line, and once again with a different switch to install.
huh. Welcome to my world. I have about 6 maybe more different configuration files at work depending on how people want it configured. Ball ache for manual installs but actually really useful for enterprise silent deployments.