1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oBike - Dockless Cycle hire arrives in London

Discussion in 'transport' started by skyscraper101, Jul 14, 2017.

1. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

They might be stacked there waiting for repair, like these stacks?
    Flip side of bike sharing: about 10k shared bikes--stretching 300m--stacked on top of each other on a street in , waiting for repair - scoopnest.com

[​IMG]

A380 and Combustible like this.
  2. Combustible

Combustible Well-Known Member

It's possible, I don't remember if it they were all from the same company, stupid place to pile them up if that's why.

Seems a strange situation overall, besides the deposit they are basically free to use, each company waiting for all the others to cut their losses and get out the market.

A380 likes this.
  3. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

One (of the many) possible issues with the dockless idea is the tidal nature use.

Rush hour sees journeys predominantly going one way. Working next to Waterloo Station for a while, I saw the vans turning up at the dock, either to reload it, or empty it, depending on morning or evening peak.

In Paris, apparently the challenge is more acute. Hills. More poeple want to cycle down than up. So you have to have processes for that.

It's not that it's impossible with dockless, but scooping up a load of bikes dispersed *around* a destination is going to be a lot more time consuming (I.e. expensive) than picking them up from a single dock.

salem and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  4. It is all kicking off in Shanghai - the city reckons that , at a push there is capacity for 600k of these bikes ( Shanghers is fucking massive ), but they reckon there are currently about 1.5M of them on the streets - with more to come as the various companies try to put each other out of business. about 150K have been removed already -yes, 150,000 bikes seized. They reckon across China as a whole, there are 10 million rentabikes kicking around

5. Borp

Borp remember

Tfl have published a dockless bike code of conduct. It's aimed at the providers rather than users.
    Makes me think even more that obike was launched without consultation.

Dockless cycle hire

Badgers likes this.
  6. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I've not seen many obike's around recently. I've seen the odd bike of the two new providers.

Never seen one in use.

Badgers likes this.
  7. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Seen a few being ridden around Hackney area. Pissed off that one of the new companies is using yellow bikes, makes my mean yellow machine seem a bit less special, and I'm sure I'll find someone trying to unlock it with a phone one of these days. Good for being seen I guess.

muscovyduck and Badgers like this.
  8. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

What's happened to them, I don't see them anymore?

(Well I saw 1 in the last 2 weeks etc)

9. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Saw a couple yesterday, they're definitely still out there in hipsterland.