O/T Truro moving to Torquay

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Roger D, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It's all very fishy. The people running the club must be spending a fortune to sustain it at this level playing at Torquay (or running up huge unsustainable debts), yet the fact they were evicted from their own ground at only a few days notice when no one expected it suggests they're being very economical with the truth. As always it's the supporters who will suffer in the end. The proposed new stadium doesn't even have planning permission or the necessary level of funding yet. I reckon it'll take three seasons minimum to get back to Truro even with no further obstacles or setbacks arising.

They'd have been better off spending £50-100k bringing a local ground like Bodmin up to National South standard and sharing there instead. If that sort of money is too much for the individuals presiding over this farce then I don't fancy the club's chances of finishing the season.

Nivag, Ludo and Voley like this.
  2. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

Bloke at works sells tickets at Torquay and is constantly complaining about the current managers. I'll see what he has to say when he gets back from holiday next week.

Voley likes this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

B.I.G likes this.
  4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll go down, therefore I'm not really bothered who goes down. Whether or not one of the relegated sides is Truro probably depends upon how much longer the person(s) bankrolling the club keep writing the cheques. I suspect the percentage rise in expenditure to survive at Torquay may not be that much larger than playing in Truro at this level. It sounds like all their players are based somewhere between Plymouth and Bristol, so it's similar in a way to Margate's financial doping era with a whole squad of London-based players training at Kidbrooke.

One thing I think we all know is that they won't sustain it indefinitely, but I don't think they'd sustain National South football indefinitely at Truro either on crowds of 500.

PartisanDulwich likes this.