1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSFW!!! The not so virgin Mary - a painting

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Mation, Sep 11, 2017.

1. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

If you start a thread saying you think a piece of art is great, surely that's inviting other posters to give their own view? It'd be fucking dull if only positive or supportive replies were allowed.

2. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

(Fwiw I think it's a hackneyed concept poorly executed.)

3. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Errr, thanks for that :D

Music does. But paintings, sculptures etc, nope, nothing. They're just objects. Sometimes nice to look at. But bugger all else.

Mation likes this.
  4. Mr Moose

Mr Moose What the hell are we supposed to tell the kids?

The artist has failed to actually do a shit on it so it's a modern art 6/10 from me only.

5. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Is she sporting what I believe is referred to as a cream pie? If so is that supposed to be gods jizzum? That may have some conceptual merit but way over my head.

6. iona

iona toxic clown

OK. It didn't read as comparing him to a vagina to me.

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Have we mentioned courbet's "the origin of the world" yet?

[​IMG]

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  8. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

There are things about it I really like (the thighs remind me of medieval frescos), and the broader concept of off duty Mary.

But the nakedness seems like a blunt instrument, ultimately gratuitous. Show me Mary of drooping boobs or apron stomach. Or more naturally dishevelled and less on display. This feels bland and obvious.

Her eyes speak it's true, but the mouth is not a real woman's mouth - more like a two-dimensional doodle of "sexy lips", that is bound to be a deliberate choice but which stops me knowing her.

bubblesmcgrath and Mation like this.
  9. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Lots of it doesn't speak true.

So ladies when having a quick fag break hands up how many of you open up your robe and sit with your legs spread as wide as possible? That's a go to relaxing position is it?

If a man painted that I'd be less surprised at the fantasing aspect of the pose. That a woman has chosen to pick such an unrealistic fantasy pose makes its motivation more blatant as desperately seeking attention through shocking nudity.

10. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

I think a negative response to the painting is different to posting a general dismissal of all art. But it's all fine!
    She is. I don't know. Mine too!
    I'm quite happy to sit like that, and do. As I said earlier, this is a woman unobserved (especially by men). Nothing unrealistic or fantasy about it. Have you never sat with your knees up and legs apart? Why wouldn't some women sit like that sometimes? It's comfy!

Chilli.s likes this.
  11. Mation

I don't think she's on display (even though we can see her). If she was, she'd have arranged herself to please people more. Her mouth is definitely two-dimensional but in keeping both with the medieval flatness and her pursed, rolleyes expression, to me.

In any case, I really like this thread and hearing what people think of it :)

12. Mation

See, that seems to me like gratuitous nakedness.

13. Mr Moose

Been a week for shocking art of much revered women.
    [​IMG]

14. Mr Moose

For me it answers the question 'what would Di have looked like with rabies'?

15. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

That's a meme waiting to happen. I'd photoshop the following onto it, if I wasn't lazy:

[​IMG]

Mation and Celyn like this.
  16. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Gromit

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Can see a family resemblance to that Mary.

17. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Hey Ho Let Us Intend to Depart!

Or Hancock's Aphrodite at the Waterhole!

18. 2hats

2hats ☢️

Surely a prediction of zombie Diana returning from the dead?

smmudge, pengaleng and Mr Moose like this.
  19. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

That has been clipped, Princess Diana in massive letters painted below the portrait.
    Kate burleigh turned to the camera and asked
    "Do you know who this is" yes we do, her name is on the painting.
    "I'll tell you after the break"

20. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

21. Mr Moose

Or that's what she's been doing these last 20 years.

22. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

dunno what yer beefy attitude with me lately is about but ok then.

23. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

erm what?

24. pengaleng

exactly.

and anyways, that was my point, their own view of a single piece of art is just a load of shit about not getting it thats been recycled and used for EVERY piece of art they see, theres fuck all to that, hardly worth writing, hardly worth reading, hardly worth being upset about.

25. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

whatever

26. pengaleng

see.

dunno what yer on about with the whole positive replies thing, and dullness, the only dullness I'm seeing among some pretty negative critiques of the piece is the people who like to whine about not getting art on every thread about a painting.

somehow what I said you interpreted as 'only positive replies only on arts' when I said nothing anywhere near that, it's quite possible to negatively critique something without resorting to 'meh dont get any of it' < if you dont then why are you on a thread about a painting in the first place. dont make sense. but yer prob off on a sulk now.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017