1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSFW!!! The not so virgin Mary - a painting

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Mation, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

I get that. I don't particularly want real life misery from films or TV. The difference here is perhaps that I don't think she hates herself. She's rolling her eyes hard at the world.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  2. iona

iona toxic clown

How is it an insult to women?

3. dessiato

dessiato Fast cars. Big waves.

Why is it Madonna and not just any nun?

4. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Golden halo.

5. dessiato

dessiato Fast cars. Big waves.

Today is obviously not a good day, somehow I didn't notice that! :facepalm: Better go get more sleep. It's been a hard, long, holiday, my brain is not working.

Mation and fishfinger like this.
  6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

More bemused most of the time. Pictures. Paint on a canvas. Nowt more. Yet others gasp and talk of getting emotional at the sight of them. It's a mystery to me.

*shrugs*

7. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I don't like it, but more for the style and poor execution than what it depicts.

Nah. Not for me.

8. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

You poor fellow.

pengaleng likes this.
  9. Mation

I feel like that about a lot of art too. But I think I used to expect a bigger emotional response than the ones I actually get. I don't get overwhelmed with emotion, but I might think oh I recognise that expression on someone's face or look at that pompous twat, or wouldn't it be lovely to be in the place depicted, or I might be impressed by the time and patience and skill it must have taken to paint. I've stopped feeling like I'm supposed to have any particular response or that I'm odd for not having any response, and just hang about the stuff that interests me for any reason (including why on earth did anyone want to make that). I can usually only last about 20 minutes or so in a gallery before I'm bored or drained.

10. Mation

Why? Aren't there any media that don't particularly move you?

11. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Painting developed in order, generally speaking, to produce images that would permanently decorate a church or house or other institution. It's no wonder that people struggle to appreciate paintings when they are all crammed together in a gallery and the natural way to view them is one after the other for a few seconds at a time.

Yossarian likes this.
  12. kabbes

What, in their entirety?

13. Mation

Generally. Less so than other media. Allowing for some exceptions.

14. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

In a gallery I view for a few seconds to see if something grabs me. So I will kinda zoom through going no, no, no, no, no, hold the phone.

When I find something I like I loiter and loiter and more recently take a pic (no flash) of it and the descriptive plate so that I can find out more.

15. kabbes

That's a totally different question. Do you want to know if there are media that -- in their entirety -- don't particularly move me? Or if there are media that generally move me less so than other media allowing for some exceptions?

16. Mation

In your terms, the latter. The use of 'particularly' implies the latter, to me. Even though there are some exceptions (Punch Drunk Theatre Company productions, for example) theatre, as a medium, doesn't particularly move me.

17. kabbes

So you're effectively asking me if I don't rank every form of media equally moving, taken globally across their entire output?

Surprisingly, the answer to that question is yes. Not sure what we learn from this, though.

18. Mation

Heh - yes, I'd forgotten why I asked. I was wondering if you feel impoverished by being unmoved in certain areas. Probably putting too much weight on what might have been a throwaway comment to beesonthewhatnow ! :)

19. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

don't push it.

Mation likes this.
  20. kabbes

Bees seems to be saying (and maintaining) that he has never been moved by painting. That's a much stronger statement. Even further -- no artwork has ever spoken to him in any way. He proclaims bemusement at the very idea.

21. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

bees is a soulless automaton tbf. this has been established on multiple threads over the years.

pengaleng likes this.
  22. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Can't make out - is she taking a piss or growing roots?

Mation likes this.
  23. Mation

I read him as meaning most of the time, because he used the words 'most of the time' :p

24. kabbes

Bemused most of the time. Some of the time, not bemused.

Either way "getting emotional at the sight of them "would not be "a mystery to [him]" if getting emotional had happened to him even once in his past. The fact that it is a mystery implied it has never happened.

25. Mation

Ok. I understand your thinking.

(But maybe we should stop trying to interpret bees 'if only he was able to communicate' onthewhatnow's thoughts, now! :D )

26. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I'd recognise those tits anywhere.

Magnus McGinty, alan_ and dessiato like this.
  27. Mation

The Madonna to SpookyFrank: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

28. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

If a woman cries Oh God, Oh God during sex... is she just putting in the groundwork for the immaculate conception excuse to her husband?

Erm I guess God did it...

29. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

I think my questions might have been seen as actual questions, I dont need to know the legit reasons of her sadness, it's just the imagery makes the viewer ask questions, but the thing with art is you get to make up yer own interpretation, I never read the little writings next to the pictures in galleries unless I'm checking I interpreted it along the right lines.

if you got no interest in other peoples mark making using mediums I dunno why yer drawn to this thread tbh other than to obnoxiously whine about not 'getting it' which sounds a lot like jealousy in the end.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  30. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

This....was what I was referring to...
    Comparing Tim Farron to a vagina...