1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSFW!!! The not so virgin Mary - a painting

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Mation, Sep 11, 2017.

1. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Whatever its artistic merits, it's got Gromit going, which adds to the gaiety of the boards.

Whenever I saw Tim Farron with his prim holier than thou lapel

[​IMG]

I always thought of this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Miss-Shelf and Chemical needs like this.
  2. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

That's an insult to women.....
    Why not an asshole?

3. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

The mashup. It's got that flat medieval painting quality to it combined with showing some behind the scenes reality for someone who is usually in character. And the colours are lush. I don't know. I just have a positive gut response to it. This is her fag break before she says to herself, right, come on girl, back out there to be Mary.

Reiabuzz likes this.
  4. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Damn it I meant to write the sixth form bit but it flew from my mind whilst I was wracking my brain for terminology Madonna Whore (tip of my tongue, tip if my tongue what is it again???!).

Poor sixth formers when they come up with it and think genius! No one has ever come up with an idea as brilliant as this... when millions have.
    I mock fondly as hell I thought I invented 'it was all a dream' :oops:

5. Mation

Where do you think the Madonna/whore idea comes from? Does a concept automatically become hackneyed by being repeated? Where have you seen something like this before?

6. Mation

Also, the painting doesn't actually evoke Madonna/ whore to me, as a first thought. Less whore and more 'a woman unobserved'.

pengaleng likes this.
  7. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Fair enough.

I find most Marian imagery depressing - the very idea that Mary is promoted as the most perfect woman but only because she is a virgin and a mother is such an oppressive idea. Obviously I like the idea of 'virgin' Mary image being subverted - but here she just looks fucked, and not happily fucked. I thought the fag looked post-coital.

Mation likes this.
  8. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Virgin on the ridiculous. :facepalm:

twentythreedom and Mation like this.
  9. Mation

I agree, it's very oppressive. And yes, a post-coital fag. This is her when no one is watching and she doesn't have to put any face on, but she still lives in the world; this world, where Madonna or whore is a thing.

10. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Cradle of Filth t-shirt:

51gPoS76yPL._UX385_.jpg

pengaleng likes this.
  12. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

it just looks depressing as fuck to me, bored facial expression the colours in particular though, the robes and halo are bright deep rich colours, but her skin tones are reminiscent of picasso's blue period which dont suggest happiness, like theres some deep sadness but does that come from her performance/pressures of virginity in the robes or the emptiness of sex work?

also her hand looks really weird.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  13. Mation

That doesn't seem like the same sort of thing to me at all. I get that it might to others.

That seems like something by men for men with shock value as a primary goal and words to tell you what to think of it.

The painting is by a woman about a woman and leaves it open to you to think what you like.

All imo :)

14. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

also the window which appears to be letting in white light seems to be dripping with menstrual blood. you can see the clots clinging to the glass as it slides down.

keybored and Mation like this.
  15. Mation

It's not a happy situation, but yes, I don't know what the source of that is meant to be. Her hand does indeed look weird!

16. Gromit

It's been around for fucking ages. There's plenty of renaissance examples. In some they juxtaposed Eve (as the whore) with Mary blah blah.

One quick google image search of Madonna whore art brings up loads.

Here is the top result:

[​IMG]

17. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

The band have always claimed collective responsibility for it (the back of the t-shirt is the usual talking point and is significantly more offensive) and are one of the few metal bands with female members, vocalists and musicians. But it is intended to be offensive rather than art.

friendofdorothy and Mation like this.
  18. Mation

That doesn't look the same to me at all, I guess because it doesn't give me any strong emotional response either way (plus is rubbish :D).

19. Gromit

I never said it was good. Just the top result. They invariably aren't good as it's a tired cliche avoided by good artists.

20. Mation

I don't think there is a clearly defined line to separate them (offensive things v art), but yes, I get you :)

21. Mation

What's a good artist?

22. Gromit

Tony Hart, Neil Buchanan etc.
    Someone who really challenges the intellect.

pengaleng likes this.
  23. Mation

If they challenge your intellect and that's what you want from art, then it's all good, Gromit!

24. Gromit

Obviously if art can project an emotional response as well then it's best.

My favourite work of art:

[​IMG]

I own a print of this as obviously I can't afford the original.

25. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Peoole want so much from art.

I really just want to be uplifted...to glimpse some beauty in a world that is so full of destruction.
    I can see the horrors of humanity every day when I turn on the news.
    I want..to see something that brings me out of the pain of what is...and gives me hope.

This could be why I find the painting so unlikeable. It doesn't have a glimmer of hope....she's bored...and hates herself.
    It's a lie. She's a lie...and there's nothing uplifting there....
    So....not my personal taste...and I do get the painting and its meaning/message. But I can see lies and hate everyday....they're everywhere.
    It is much harder to convey beauty and truth in modern art....which is quite sad....imo.

innit likes this.
  26. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

This thread is more support for my theory that most art is utter shite.

27. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

People like art if it speaks to them
    People hate art if it speaks to them
    People are indifferent to art if it does not speak to them.

pengaleng, ElizabethofYork and Mation like this.
  28. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I don't think art has ever spoken to me :D

29. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Hence indifference.

pengaleng and Mation like this.
  30. Urban is a hotbed of art experts. Who knew? :D