Now Panasonic do a full frame mirrorless - Lumix S1(R)

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by FridgeMagnet, Sep 25, 2018.

1. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Well, that's always going to be an issue - no matter how good Panasonic are with heat sinks and cooling, there's a practical limit when you're generating full frame heat.

I find this a bit reassuring as they're clearly not thinking they're going to replace micro 4/3 with this any time soon, not with limitations like that. Not 100% sure who it is targeting though. I have a suspicion that, as with all these new first gen full frame MILCs, they're not expecting to make their money back with this version - hence also lots of lenses that are super pricey and high performance and look cool for the camera press but nobody is really going to buy.

(With Super 8 you could only get two and a half minutes of 24fps to begin with....)

alsoknownas likes this.
  2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It is good that there are more FF alternatives.

I recently was looking at the Pentax K1 MkII. It might have the same 36mpx chip as my Nikon D800, but its environmental sealing seems way better. I saw a video of a soldier covering his 2 Pentax cameras with sand and then washing them off in a shower, it quite impressed me.

3. FridgeMagnet

Pentaxes are famously tough, noted as being at the top end of the scale for it. Having said that, I think being weatherproof is overrated - proper cameras don't disintegrate if they get a spot of water on them and most people aren't likely to want to shoot with their camera in the pouring rain.

I have a Genba Kantoku which was made for use on building sites and is proof against absolutely everything but I don't use it much.

4. weltweit

I feel a little paranoia when it starts to rain and drops get on my camera, because I know one drop getting through to the electronics it could be by bye to the body. And while my new Nikon is supposed to have some level of sealing, I don't yet have a lens with a WR seal or any kind of insurance that would cover the damage.

I like to get out when the weather is less than ideal, I nearly fell in a river balancing my Fuji and an umbrella photographing a swan on her nest, it was raining hard then.

And I missed great pictures on a beach ( a couple of times ) with high wind whipping up sandy whirls .. there was no way I was getting my Fuji out in that, so I missed out.

5. weltweit

PS; I didn't know Pentax had that reputation. When I last changed gear I never even considered them.

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Summarised specs:

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. FridgeMagnet

He is kind of annoying.

I mean the GH5 is probably a better camera for video right now, but you know, all this bitching about AF when, er, cameras are used badly by youtubers, winds me up.

9. weltweit

10. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

That was entertaining actually. I can imagine finding him annoying though!

Flip out screen? Not for this model. It's clearly aimed at pro photographers (who perhaps want to do a bit of video on the side). Vloggers are not going to, and neither should they, pay out £2K per lens. I know that cheaper lenses will be coming down the line, but that's when you'll see the models with the flippy screens.
    Articulated screens are better for pro photographers because a) they don't need to do selfies, and b) they are much stronger than the flip screens.

Autofocus? I'm all manual, but I have to admit AF is such a big deal with people now it would be a brave manufacturer that would just ignore it. Apparently the contrast-detect stuff that Panasonic use has a theoretical upside that hasn't been reached yet due to processing limitations, so it could be that release models (or firmware updated models) could have improved AF. But I suspect it will still be fairly rubbish (for video). I can only assume there is some kind of financially crippling licencing/patent issue with the Canon / Sony system that is preventing Panny from implementing it. Either that, or they are stubborning themselves to death.

11. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Mind you, we can talk, talk, talk till our head explodes - the actual footage already looks gorgeous:

That was shot on the faux-flat profile Cine D. Release camera will have access to V-Log (not the compromised V-Log L(ite) version that you find on the GH5, but the full bad-boy version from Panasonic's cinema camera range). I think it's fair to say it will be possible to make stunning video with this camera.

12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

With the screen thing, here's the GH5 flip screen. Bearing in mind that that hinge also contains all the wiring for the screen you can see how potentially vulnerable it is as a piece of engineering:

L1500_.jpg
    Not that I've ever actually heard of one failing!

Here's the new S1's articulated screen, which you can see has a lot more opportunity for connective infrastructure (at the cost of a loss of rotational options) :

panasonic-luo-far.jpg

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Boy is that ugly. It looks like an early prototype.

14. FridgeMagnet

The flip screen used on the GH5 has quite a long history in Panasonic cameras and it is pretty robust. I’ve never had an issue with it going back to the G2.

alsoknownas likes this.
  15. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

That's true, but then the whole camera has been built with a 'looks-be-damned' practicality that ends up being quite endearing I reckon.

16. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

True. That's my experience too. Anyway, that's the company line. Apparently they were merrily waving the camera around by the screen at the launch.

17. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Useful noise comparison with GH5 & GH5S:

This is impressive actually. Hmmm... IBIS + great low light performance. I like.

dweller likes this.