Now Panasonic do a full frame mirrorless - Lumix S1(R)

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by FridgeMagnet, Sep 25, 2018.

1. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Everybody seems to be working from the same press conference but here's an example - https://petapixel.com/2018/09/25/pa...l-be-its-first-full-frame-mirrorless-cameras/

Yeah another full frame mirrorless snore but this does seem to have some advantages over the Canon and Nikon.

* A shared lens mount between three pretty respected manufacturers (Panasonic, Leica and Sigma). As well as that Leica have already got several L-mount lenses out though oddly this doesn't seem to get mentioned much - I'd have thought it was a step up vs the competition, unless they're incompatible somehow.
    * Dual card slots for those who care about that which is apparently 90% of the commenters on photography articles;
    * IBIS, in fact Dual IS which is really effective on Lumixes IME (at least for video);
    * 4K 60p video.

Obviously this will sell well in the video pro market but it doesn't look as bad for stills shooters as I'd feared. I'm mostly interested in the shared lens mount idea, which proved pretty good for m43. Also Panasonic does have much more experience in making (good) mirrorless than Canikon.

No pricing yet, wait for Photokina but it will be about the same as the others I'd guess.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm really not sure how they're going to compete against the big boys - particularly Sony - and if there are Leica lenses out, they're going to cost a fortune.

3. FridgeMagnet

Well, in terms of video they already have a competitive position afaik, competing with Sony even without a full-frame body. In terms of stills they don't have the rep certainly. But it's still a huge company (many times larger than Nikon) due to all the other things it sells so has resources to back a product up if it wants to.

I think this is more about addressing Sony than the Canikon mirrorless releases. Even if I would like it not to be the case, I think the market is going to be increasingly dominated by video capability, even more so than it is now which is a lot.

Leica's existing L-mount lenses are definitely expensive and I imagine will continue to be, but with Sigma on board, well. If anything this seems bad for Leica - why would you buy a full-frame Leica L-mount body when these exist? The M system is a unique market that basically Leica owns, but when they step outside of that they have to charge competitive prices or nobody's interested.

eta: apparently Sigma are also planning to make bodies for this mount - Sigma to take Foveon full frame and adopt L mount

4. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I wish they'd all do a version that didn't have any video option for half the price.

gawkrodger likes this.
  5. FridgeMagnet

I think they’re aiming for the stills market with the higher-MP one, but it won’t be cheaper or not have video. The only company I know who’ve done that are Leica :D They removed video from the M10 when the M9 has it, but who buys a Leica M to shoot video anyway?

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I wish the opposite. Let's go halves on one.

RoyReed likes this.
  7. FridgeMagnet

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. FridgeMagnet

I quite like it, but then I also like 80s cameras....

Panasonic have gone very brutalist recently. The G9 was pretty angular and this has even sharper edges.

10. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I'd be more than happy for them to do a video-only version as well. Are there many people who make full use of both the still and video functionality?

11. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

How many people can afford this new beast? Any news on the price?

12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

There are two versions. The main one will be very expensive (3k or close). The other one will be lower res (yay!), and will be a bit cheaper.

13. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

This could be a really exciting release. If the video is outstanding, which it almost certainly will be, and it has 4k 60p 10 bit, i'd be somewhat interested. Having FF and MFT options that work well together could be really useful.

14. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Shame I’ve just upgraded to a GH5.... :D

15. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I'm still gonna get the GH5(S). Still an amazing camera. Different price point. Plus MFT has its own advantages.

16. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I'm still enthusiastic about the GH5S - great colour science, robust codec, low noise - happy days! But I must admit this shift towards FF is making me a bit nervous about investing in MFT lenses. I have my eyes on some (Voigts, Olly, Noktitron, etc.) - but those are all quite pricey and I wonder if I'll regret it down the line :(.

17. FridgeMagnet

Still waiting for all the cheap m43 lenses to hit eBay.

:mad:

alsoknownas likes this.
  18. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I'm still waiting for the sodding price of the GH5S to drop! :mad: