Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Novara based meeting

manji

12596B0A-405C-4D1F-86CE-88B268BB32CC.jpeg We are currently being subjected to this in Southampton. What the hell is John McDonnell involved for ?

Fozzie Bear

If it's any consolation Stoke Newington is being invaded this weekend by Nigella Lawson, Ed Miliband, Billy Bragg and even more guardianistas than usual.

I mean, fucking hell:

Republican or royalist, there’s no denying that the Queen’s outifts have made key style – and even political – statements throughout her time on the throne. Sali Hughes and Lauren Laverne discuss Sali’s new book, Our Rainbow Queen, by way of colour blocking, neon at ninety, THAT Brexit hat and the power of a great handbag to fashion-forward feminists the world over.

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
Acid Corbynism is a Plan C thing, they've had a few slots on Novara.
Callum Cant is involved with the Notes from Below project.

The whole thing is the local version of the Labour thing 'The World Transformed' isn't it? Hence the John McDonnell.
Acid Communism was/became a World Transformed thing, so, yeah.

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
Acid Communism was/became a World Transformed thing, so, yeah.
Have you listened to their podcasts/radio slots? Just sounds like fucking nonsense to me, people came up with a name that they think sounds hip and fun and then desperately trying to suck things in under it to justify it and create a name for themselves.

imposs1904

Thread Killa'
Acid Corbynism is a Plan C thing, they've had a few slots on Novara.
Callum Cant is involved with the Notes from Below project.

The whole thing is the local version of the Labour thing 'The World Transformed' isn't it? Hence the John McDonnell.
But what does it actually mean?

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
Have you listened to their podcasts/radio slots? Just sounds like fucking nonsense to me, people came up with a name that they think sounds hip and fun and then desperately trying to suck things in under it to justify it and create a name for themselves.
There is some interesting stuff in there, but it is incredibly all over the shop, and does seem a bit of an excuse to be, well, all over the shop, seeing what splendour will come from bizarre contradictions.

cantsin

Well you can listen to the shows but it's essentially about moments of collective joy in politics and wider working class culture. Which is great, but the idea that this is or can be an integral part of a Corbynist Labour party is complete bollocks.
Possibly, but if you think it of a wider Cobynist movement, that attempts to reach out beyond Parliamentary politics, makes more sense

killer b

Singing on the roof of the Barbican
On the topic of collective joy in politics, the best night out I've had in ages was an italo disco night a few weeks ago organised by Manchester momentum, who IMO have a really good balance in their activities - they run decent political education events mixing high concept theory and practical political activities, are involved with a load of on the ground community organising (red gyms, 5 a side football leagues etc), are a visible and noisy presence at demos and run ace dance nights where everyone goes wild. The wild dance nights are absolutely a key part in holding all of the other stuff together, as well as being a good thing in themselves.

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
On the topic of collective joy in politics, the best night out I've had in ages was an italo disco night a few weeks ago organised by Manchester momentum, who IMO have a really good balance in their activities - they run decent political education events mixing high concept theory and practical political activities, are involved with a load of on the ground community organising (red gyms, 5 a side football leagues etc), are a visible and noisy presence at demos and run ace dance nights where everyone goes wild. The wild dance nights are absolutely a key part in holding all of the other stuff together, as well as being a good thing in themselves.
Yeah, have heard alright things about Manchester Momentum as well. I'm in Leeds, and from what I hear it's a mess here.