Nour in Brixton Village under threat again

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Frumious B., Feb 27, 2013.

1. B-Town

B-Town Active Member

Violent Panda - so you have skipped my response where I acknowledged I was wrong in my initial point, but well done reemphasising the points made by previous posters. Epic Win.

Let me address a couple of your points however, as I fear you are equally ill informed:

Bag of arse. The markets have never been "historically quiet", unless the local working class don't count as customers - Granville Arcade was very quiet, it wasnt regenerated because it was a thriving market...

What's your point? It's footfall in the store that counts, not footfall for Granville Arcade per se. Neither Nour's custom or turnover has increased commensurate with this gentrification and increased potential you're drivelling about. If this is true, and I suspect neither of us know, then that is because Nour has failed to respond to the passing trade - poor retailing.

You're not, and have never been, in retail, I take it? Cash and carry operations operate on fairly slim margins compared to retail-only operations. I am a retail consultant and have worked with the Boards of most mayor Cash & Carry and Convenience operators in the UK. If they are acting as a wholesaler, they will buy cheaper. They are not bound to offer all their products with a C&C price, so if they wanted to sell bottles of world beers out of the front of their stores, they are probably best positioned of all the retailers in the area to make the highest mark up whilst delivering against the unfulfilled needs of the passing hipsters.

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Corrected for you.

Greebo likes this.
  3. Mrs Magpie

It went quiet because the previous landlords increased the rents so much that people packed up and left...the pet shop, the toy shop etc etc...I don't know how long you've lived here but I've been here a long time and you know nothing, NOTHING about Brixton market's history despite your 'edgey trendy nod towards Brixton' username.....I can't be arsed picking the rest apart.

Greebo likes this.
  4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I'm no expert but I'm guessing that it's probably backdated service charges rather than rent.

5. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

It was also being run down as the owners wanted to knock it down and build flats on it (there was a planning application for just that). Unfortunately the building being listed scuppered that particular scheme.

Greebo and Mrs Magpie like this.
  6. Mrs Magpie

...but the services they get are minimal and crap.

Greebo likes this.
  7. B-Town

B-Town Active Member

I am not looking for a fight, I have lived in Brixton for 6 years, so probably not as long as you, and have only taken a deeper interest in the area over the last couple of years as it starts to become my home

8. Winot

I wasn't trying to justify the situation.

Greebo likes this.
  9. B-Town

B-Town Active Member

But thank you for the comps on my username! :rolleyes:

10. Mrs Magpie

You need to look deeper then, because you are so way off the mark as to ruin my day and make me head-butt my computer as your totally uninformed remarks are making me spit blood and feathers.

11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i can understand the blood but where do the feathers come from?

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

you've come to the wrong place then. here on urban fights find you - not the other way round.

13. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Well I'm SOOOOO sorry for boring you m'lud!

Granville Arcade has never been "very quiet" in the 40 years I've known it, and it was "regenerated" because the freeholder had let the fabric go to the dogs.

Generalisation. "Failure to respond to passing trade" is meaningless unless you give the failure context. Are you claiming that Nour doesn't appeal to a particular segment of the local demographic at all, and that to do so would boost footfall and turnover - based on what?

Do you have any experience of actual retailing, as opposed to , for example, having an MBA (teehee) and selling people generic strategies on how to "do" retail better? I surely hope so, because otherwise your notions are just so much hot air and hipster-pleasing.

"World beers"! :facepalm: Did you miss my point about licensing?

14. ViolentPanda

It "went quiet" for what, a couple of years max? And the "quiet" was relative, and a fair bit to do with the freeholder taking money and not putting any of it back into the fabric of the market, as I recall.

15. Mrs Magpie

I didn't think you were...sorry

Winot likes this.
  16. Mrs Magpie

I bit the head off a passing cock

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. ViolentPanda

Frankly, applying a charge retrospectively is a pretty low tactic unless the charger can prove to the chargee that the service charge is being retrospectively levied purely because of out-of-the-ordinary incurred expenses commensurate with any charges detailed in the lease for which the lessee is liable. Otherwise it's just a pisstaking attempt to grab some extra money.

Greebo likes this.
  18. Mrs Magpie

This

19. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

It would be difficult to imagine a more wrongheaded, inaccurate and ill informed set of posts than B-Town's on this very thread. Two years of 'deeper interest' in the area does not qualify anyone to spout such confident, deluded bollocks, complete with leaps of logic and assumptions that would make a village idiot blush.

Brixton Hatter, Greebo and Mrs Magpie like this.
  20. ViolentPanda

Oh come on, B-Town is a retail consultant, after all!

21. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

I find that slightly implausible to be honest. When someone comes up with the naive assumptions that they have, it's difficult to to credit them with any impartial expertise.

I particularly love the one that 'regeneration' was invariably a result of the market not thriving. And not at all because the last landlords let the fabric of the market decline and forced traders out in the hope of achieving planning permission for a more lucrative change of use, oh no. Gotta love those huge, confident assumptions after all.

22. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I do not use Nour myself but the fact that they have got such a lot of support shows that they large number of regular customers. So they must be doing something right. They might already be getting new customers who came for the trendy eateries.

There are plenty of off licenses. My local in CHL is doing very well out people coming to Brixton Village who buy to take to the eateries. He has got more "world beers" in. So a few well established businesses are doing well.

Another is a food shop who has seen his customer base change over the years. He responds and has changed a bit ( but not that much).

But its rent hikes that are always a threat. Gets to a point where it is no longer feasible rent for some kind of businesses. Like retail food. Unless they go really high end.

23. fortyplus

fortyplus smug git

Some rent reviews didn't happen because of the planned redevelopment. When it was scuppered, the rent increase was backdated to when the rent review would have happened had it not been suspended.

24. fortyplus

fortyplus smug git

I suspect they've also got some new customers as a result of their successful press campaign on the rent issue.

Gramsci likes this.
  25. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

I have so missed having B-Town around!

26. Winot

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if anyone has taken any advice on challenging the increases?

Greebo likes this.
  27. editor

editor hiraethified

Posted on FB:

28. ash

ash Inittogether

Shit - that’s awful I love that place

29. editor

editor hiraethified

30. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I hope this is just a rumour.

I use it nearly every weekend. Its useful to buy a lot of ingredients for recipes in one go. Its also not to expensive.

A lot of local people use it.

If it goes its one more reason for me not to use Market Row.