Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nour Cash & Carry in Brixton Market under threat

Aristocrat

Stop me b4 I do it again
I was in there yesterday and the staff were running a petition to give to the council. They didn't seem to know if it would make any difference. Does anyone on here have any experience of this sort of thing who could advise them?

coldwaterswim

I saw the same thing. Maybe people could write to Helen Hayes / whoever the MP is for advice? i was thinking of doing that this week. I am happy to share the letter I write if anyone wants to use it as a template
Hi, yeah I was thinking the same thing. Would be very grateful if you would share the letter, I'm not great at writing things like that. Doesn't seem right Nour being forced out.

Aristocrat

Stop me b4 I do it again
I saw the same thing. Maybe people could write to Helen Hayes / whoever the MP is for advice? i was thinking of doing that this week. I am happy to share the letter I write if anyone wants to use it as a template
Thanks, a share would be great. In general my main gripe to councillors and Hayes will be that I don’t see how Brixton can carry on like this. Forcing businesses like Nour out is killing the diversity of the town centre. Nour is packed, all the time, with repeat customers who obviously love the shop, and it’s not as if Brixton rents are low at the moment in any case. Unfortunately I don’t see that councillors or MPs can do much. Ultimately, all they have control over is zoning and planning, AFAIK.

editor

hiraethified
Thanks, a share would be great. In general my main gripe to councillors and Hayes will be that I don’t see how Brixton can carry on like this. Forcing businesses like Nour out is killing the diversity of the town centre. Nour is packed, all the time, with repeat customers who obviously love the shop, and it’s not as if Brixton rents are low at the moment in any case. Unfortunately I don’t see that councillors or MPs can do much. Ultimately, all they have control over is zoning and planning, AFAIK.
Ultimately Nour's fate is in the hands of the socialite billionaire DJ McWilliams and his hedge fund pals.

Gramsci

As Brixton BID was one of our new Labour Councils ideas to support local business and as Cllr Donatus is on the board representing the Council and us the electorate its imo a legitimate question to ask what he in his role as board member is doing to support this business.

Gramsci

Sent this to the Coldharbour Ward Clllrs and Cllr Mary Atkins who is on the board of Brixton BID:

Im concerned that the owners of Market Row are trying to get rid of the popular Nour Cash and Carry.

I copied in Cllr Atkins as she is on board of Brixton BID

This shop was under threat from previous owners and with public support fought to stay.

It is a shop that serves the multicultural population of the Brixton area and its loss would be yet another step in the gentrification of Brixton.

Hondo enterprises , the owners, now say the shop unit is needed for extra electricity substation for the increased demand for electricity in the market. Presumably for the new bars and restaurants.

They have also been threatening to increase the rent on Nour Cash and Carry by a huge amount.

I don't see why Brixton has to lose this popular longstanding small business for this.

Hondo enterprises have said previously:

“The Market is at the heart of Brixton’s community and under our stewardship its unique character will be secured for the long term.
“We look forward to beginning a conversation with traders, the local community, and Lambeth council in the coming weeks and months as we develop our plans to protect and enhance the market.”
Brixton’s Nour Cash & Carry faces an uncertain future as landlords Hondo Enterprises threaten rent rises
What happened to the conversation that Hondo promised? Protecting its unique character?
As Cllr Donatus / Cllr Atkins are on the board of Brixton BID I would like to know if this can be raised with Brixton BID and what they can do to support this small business and retain it in Brixton. Brixton BID should be supporting small business like this aganst the property company that owns the market.

Brixton’s Nour Cash & Carry reportedly closing down in July after being handed a Section 25 notice by landlords

Gramsci

I got a reply from Cllr Emma Nye saying the Ward Cllrs would take the issue up and get in touch with the MP Helen Hayes.

Gramsci

worth quoting J Rayner piece:

Nour Cash and Carry, a venerable shop in Brixton’s covered Market Row, known for its massive range of cheap ingredients serving the area’s diverse community, is being threatened with eviction by new landlords Hondo Enterprises. Hondo, run by wealthy Texan DJ Taylor McWilliams, insist they need the space for an electricity substation, but Nour, which has traded for over two decades, say they have not yet been offered an appropriate alternative. A petition is available to sign in store.

Gramsci

Also online petition is here: Sign the Petition
I was at Nour today. Saw that.

I had a chat with them today. Said I had a reply from local Cllr.

The guy at Nour I spoke to said the MP was coming to see them. That would be Helen Hayes.

Whilst I was in the shop several customers came up to complain.

I think Hondo thought they could ride this out.

What with them producing plans to bring "inward investment" to Brixton by leading Black architect by Popes road. So that is all ok. Bollox.

Brixton Society brought to my attention that the listing of the covered markets was due to the hisorical significance to the Windrush generation of the markets. So Hondo trying to get rid of a business that caters for the multicultural community is going against the listing.Not a crime but what does one expect from wealthy capitalist scum.

The successful adoption of the markets is the clearest architectural manifestation of the major wave of immigration that had such an important impact on the cultural and social landscape of post-war Britain, and is thus a site with considerable historical resonance.

Hondo took the covered markets on with full knowledge they were listed. Yet pick on a business that is part of the point of the listing to evict.

Why big businness is shit imo. An American socialite running Brixton markets. Wanker imo.

editor

hiraethified
An electricity substation my arse. It's the biggest unit in the market, with a huge glass roof. Worth a fortune as a craft beer and chicken wings restaurant.
Makes you wonder where the increased demand for electricity has come from. Oh wait, it'll be down to all the trendy incoming restaurants and bars with their wasteful outdoor heating, ovens, cookers and important DJ systems that must keep pumping in the name of increased vibrancy.