Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nour Cash & Carry in Brixton Market under threat

editor

hiraethified
I hope this is just a rumour.

I use it nearly every weekend. Its useful to buy a lot of ingredients for recipes in one go. Its also not to expensive.

A lot of local people use it.

If it goes its one more reason for me not to use Market Row.
It was posted by a local who uses the shop. I've asked him to go in tomorrow and get a statement from the owners.

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
One of the best shops in Brixton, cheap, great variety, helpful staff. You always see a huge cross section of the community shopping in there. Really hope the manage to stay.

Ms T

Honey-coloured ramparts
I was told today by the owner’s daughter (I think) that the shop is closing on Monday for eight days to make it smaller and it will be gone in six months. :(

editor

hiraethified
I'm hearing that Hondo tried on a big rent increases for another long term business in their property empire but failed (after the business had to shell out for a load of legal fees) and eventually backed down due to bad publicity. There's hope they may be getting the message that closing Nour down will cause a shitload of bad publicity so they may have to reconsider.

Gramsci

I had a chat with Nour today.

The proposed rent increase is a massive FOUR times what they are paying now.

So completely unrealistic.

They welcome any support.

Told me they will try to appeal ( not sure how) against the proposed increase.

I wasn't the only customer asking about this.

Last edited:

editor

hiraethified
I had a chat with Nour today.

The proposed rent increase is a massive FOUR times what they are paying now.

So completely unrealistic.

They welcome any support.

Told me they will try to appeal ( not sure how) against the proposed increase.

I wasn't the only customer asking about this.
Hondo Enterprises are going to squeeze Brixton dry.

editor

hiraethified
Contributor piece here:

Brixton’s Nour Cash & Carry faces an uncertain future as landlords Hondo Enterprises threaten rent rises

This reader comment pretty much nails it:

What Hondo Enterprises deems ‘market value’ on their commercial premises is very concerning. For now they appear to recognise the market value of businesses like Nours is less about the commercials of that business but more their value as a ‘vibrant’ aesthetic that acts as a backdrop for people travelling to the Arcade and Village.

At some point though the investors that sit behind Hondo will expect a greater return on their investment and when a newer/wealthier demographic hits a certain threshold, that managed ‘mix’ of businesses will be tossed out for an aggressive pursuit of profit.

Local traders and businesses who are being used as short-term markers of ‘authenticity’ need to be properly protected by the council and lawmakers, because their contribution cannot be quantified by ‘market values’ and should not be dictated by investment groups with a growing monopoly on the area.

editor

hiraethified
Has Nour been registered as a community asset? Is that possible for a shop?
How do we do that?
I'm not sure that a commercial shop can be registered as an ASV but even if it could be, the cost of buying the property would most likely be prohibitive.
A building or other land is an asset of community value if its main use has recently been or is presently used to further the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community and could do so in the future. The Localism Act states that ‘social interests’ include cultural, recreational and sporting interests.
What are Assets of Community Value (ACV)? - My Community

DietCokeGirl

All lost in the supermarket
Maybe worth contacting local coucillers and asking them where they stand on protecting small independent useful local businesses etc etc etc. If you raise it as a concern, Hondo will have to field their enquiries and respond to you. Be interested in how they all respond

editor

hiraethified
Maybe worth contacting local coucillers and asking them where they stand on protecting small independent useful local businesses etc etc etc. If you raise it as a concern, Hondo will have to field their enquiries and respond to you. Be interested in how they all respond
Word is that Hondo are trying to get all touchy feely in response to the community reaction to their shitty rent-rising threats. And they are by no means the only business facing rent rises.

cuppa tee

🤬🤬🤬 Nour Cash and Carry is closing down in July ! editor
printed signs have gone up in the shop saying they have been handed a section 25* by the landlord

* this a sneaky way for the landlord to fuck standing tenants up

Last edited:

editor

hiraethified
🤬🤬🤬 Noor Cash and Carry is closing down in July ! editor
printed signs have gone up in the shop saying they have been handed a section 25* by the landlord

Fuck's sake. Did you manage to get any photos of the sign?

editor

hiraethified
sorry no I did not have a camera/phone on me, only popped out for a few bits.
No problem - I've posted something here - thanks for the heads up

Biddlybee

making knots with sticks
🤬🤬🤬 Noor Cash and Carry is closing down in July ! editor

Gutted :(

cuppa tee

Aren't the new landlords Hondo - you know, the ones promising to keep the essence of the Village intact while bolting on a big upstairs bar and kicking out long term tenants - just delightful?
I really hope there is some kind of community fightback against the fuckers, my feeling is they have gone fore Nour because they are the most high profile grass roots shop in thee covered markets, if mcwilly 🤮 and his cowboy outfit push this thru with no opposition other smaller traders with the “wrong profile” won’t stand a chance....

editor

hiraethified
I really hope there is some kind of community fightback against the fuckers, my feeling is they have gone fore Nour because they are the most high profile grass roots shop in thee covered markets, if mcwilly 🤮 and his cowboy outfit push this thru with no opposition other smaller traders with the “wrong profile” won’t stand a chance....
They said in the Blog that they needed Nour's units to put in a new power generator to meet the increasing demands of the market, seemingly ignorant that it's the changes they're pushing through to the market that are causing the extra demand. How many outdoor heaters are now burning up fuel every night in the markets? How many electric stoves/lights/heaters/DJ systems etc have turned up in the last couple of years?

cuppa tee

They said in the Blog that they needed Nour's units to put in a new power generator to meet the increasing demands of the market, seemingly ignorant that it's the changes they're pushing through to the market that are causing the extra demand. How many outdoor heaters are now burning up fuel every night in the markets? How many electric stoves/lights/heaters/DJ systems etc have turned up in the last couple of years?
good point, and I think I will wait for Nours side of the story before I swallow hondo’s press release....

editor

hiraethified
good point, and I think I will wait for Nours side of the story before I swallow hondo’s press release....
Ever since they claimed to have "saved Club 414" - without even telling the actual owners of Club 414 - I don't believe a word they say, especially as there was a direct link between the company booting out the 414 and Brixton Village.