Norbury news and chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by jonH, Apr 4, 2008.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

NB: S + Norbury = Snorbury.

[​IMG]

2. jonH

jonH New Member

that's horrid

3. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Is that the south indian one across the raod from the station?

4. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Ah.

I presumed this thread was lacking in seriousness.

What with your pre-resurrection lives n all, Mr. H ;)

I apologise unreservedly for my misspokenness ;)

5. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

It is, yes. Almost bang opposite the end of Green Lane.

6. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I lived there for a few months. It was OK. Mirch Masalla is probably the highlight.

7. Urbanblues

Urbanblues Was that it, life?

Have you ever been to Norbury?

Yes.

8. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

It is good. get there a couple of times a year. Otherwise i have no need of Norbury.

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

No, but I've been to me.

10. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

Apart from sounding like the sort of place that John Major should have come from, what's it like as an area?

11. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Slightly better sounding than Norbiton.

TotallyGreatGuy and ohmyliver like this.
  12. Callie

Callie Pivoting

its just up the road. i think its a bit boring but i dont tend to hang out there much. easy to get to croydon by bus/car/train for shopping, one bus trip to brixton if that appeals, served well by night buses, train are of the slower variety (moe stopping) to Victoria...not sure of the journey time, 30minsish probably less.

errrm what are you looking for?

13. ohmyliver

I'm asking as we might have to move there due to the fact that Streatham (which I <3) has got increasingly expensive :(

14. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Well I guess its not Streatham. Thats probably not very helpful. What do you like and enjoy about Streatham? Shops? Eating out? Open spaces and parks? Exciting nightlife? Sitting outside cafe's smoking a cigarette with your dog chatting to the locals? A decent boozer or two?

come now! more details are required :D

15. ohmyliver

Good question. I like the pubs like The White Lion, and The Ferriers Arms, I like the baker at the top of Streatham Hill, I like Kennedy's fish and chips, I like the leafyness of it, I like El Baraka Halal and their North African sausages (because it's hard to find good non pork sausages), I like the Common, I like the little parks like Hillside park, I like that it's one bus to most parts of central London, I like that it's 20 mins on the bus to Brixton and Tooting, I like the history of some of the buildings (like the estate on the ABC roads being one of the first bits of social housing in the UK), I like Bravi Reggaza's pizzas, I love Adomme both for it's food, and for it's amazing service, I like Illils Lebanese food, etc etc etc

16. Callie

Callie Pivoting

((((ohmyliver))))

17. Callie

Callie Pivoting

What about Anerley? I get the impression it might be erm more exciting than Norbury and maybe a similar price bracket? I dont know either particularly well. I have been through Norbury a lot but have had no real cause to go there, I dont know anyone who lives there either.

helpful!

18. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

It pissed me off when the Natwest branch moved from Thornton heath to Norbury. Allbeit only one stop away on the train. Streatham Common's only 1 stop in the other direction.

Yeah, it's not Brixton or Camdon or somewhere with cultural cache. Just a bit of SLondon sprawl.

19. ohmyliver

To be honest cultural cache doesn't really bother me, I moved from Brick Lane to Tulse Hill 6/7 years ago, and to Streatham Hill about 2 and a bit years ago...

20. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Have you still got lots of mates and that in Streatham? Norbury would be fine for trekking back and forth as its pretty much down the road albeit quite along road!

21. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat Santa is an evilous man

*watches thread*

I have provisionally been offered a job :eek:

Which is based towards the southern depths of the northern line.

Since I have a dislike of long commutes, and don't have a huge budget, I'm thinking towards somewhere that has a good train service in to Balham (gateway to the south) since everywhere actually on the northern line is going to be out of my price range, and this is going to be an easier commute than going in to London Bridge and then picking up the underground. (the fact that bits of London Bridge station are going to be closed / trains won't stop for the next few years adds to that complication.)

Hence Selhurst / Thornton Heath / Norbury or Crystal Palace/ Gipsy Hill / West Norwood

Sutton-ish is a possibility but from what I gather is kinda meh.

I've never really got the hang of London SW or the artificial bits of London SE*

I had a very brief mooch round Thornton Heath yesterday and wasn't all that impressed...

* the original SE postal area covered what's now SE1 to SE18, SE 19-27 were a later afterthought, and SE28 was formerly swamp.

22. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Norbury has the original (and still the best) branch of Mirch Masala and a couple of other excellent Indian food places.

Manter and trabuquera like this.
  23. hash tag

hash tag member

Crystal Palace has been under consideration in my place. It's affordable, has a good feel to it, one or two good restuarants and pubs, one or two decent little shops, good for transport, park and views.....

24. ohmyliver

I dunno, Crystal Palace is a bit like an own brand Balham. But we've also been considering it.

25. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

I've been to norbury. Had a fairly nice Chinese meal there, then I left and have never felt the need to return. That's norbury.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  26. buscador

buscador culturally dominant

I lived in Norbury for a short while 25 years ago. At that time there were NO pubs due to some covenant applied to the area. It was fairly quiet with some good asian food shops/takeaways. I don't get the impression it's changed a huge amount.

27. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

It's not that far from Streatham- you can still do all that Streatham stuff, it's a 5 minute bus ride. It's still a single bus to loads of places, and streatham is advancing down the hill towards it- I have a couple if friends who have just moved to 'streatham borders'. It's one if those places where if you get off the train you might think you're somewhere different, but if you get the bus down streatham hill you'll realise it really isn't that far away at all.

It is changing too- it has a creams Ice cream parlour (other branch in Central Brixton), a couple of nice looking new cafés the streatham side of the railway bridge, Mirch Marsala is amazing.... It's really not that bad.

28. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

Such as the Lahore Kebab House - had a brilliant meal there recently for £11 a head - the mixed grill, lamb-on-the-bone curry, the dhal is top notch, and it's BYO.

Lucky for me it is so handy from Streatham ;)

There is that lovely park in Norbury - the one that is a continuation if you walk through from the Rookery.

Norbury seems to suffer from ribbon-development-it is - also the near fatal flaw in Streatham.

29. boohoo

boohoo No.

There are a couple of other good eateries - cheap, great food and service - I'm not saying where. Norbury for shopping isn't amazing but you can get a lot of basics or hop on a bus to Streatham. Really don't know about pubs. Park land? well, off Green Lanes is Norbury Park which isn't very exciting - lots of allotments. Cross green lanes and you are not far from Norwood Grove (OvalhouseDB this is the park that continues when you walk through the Rookery) and Biggin Woods. You do have to walk up hill though!

Because it's not too exciting around there, you will probably get more house for your money. There are some lovely 1920s house around the place.

30. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

i live in anerley. it's alright. not exciting, but pleasant and well connected.