Non-League thread

Discussion in 'football' started by Shanksy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Meanwhile, Didcot have reached the semi-finals of the Vase. They're playing Jarrow, which is a lot more interesting than the AFC Sudbury v Bedlington match-up in the other game.

Personally I suspect the JARROW MARCH ON headlines will be rolled out in a fortnight...

2. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

:D :D :D

are you going, justin?

3. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I've been avoiding Didcot for two decades and I see no reason to break the habit now...

4. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Unlucky Murdoch.

5. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

The Trophy is looking interesting, isn't it? And that match was gripping even on teletext. Who's the Hereford supporter on here? They went out too.

6. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

One of the teams that got relegated from our league won it last year.

One of the problems is that with 4 play-off places, most conference teams have relegated the Trophy to a particularly unimportant status (and then they've been saddled with the fucking Carthium Cup or whatever it's called).

I prefered watching Gravesend last year in the Trophy ;).

7. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Is Nigel Clough still mamanger at Burton? As they're the only Conference side left in, we may reasonably expect some press coverage to the effect that "while his father Brian famously never won the FA Cup, Nigel is only a step away..."

8. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

ie after the first game Murdoch said something like

(we came back from 2-0 down at half time at their place to put them out).

9. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Yes. Rumoured to be in line to be Pearce's assistant at Man City if he gets the job permanent. Winning the Trophy will help, as they are not getting promoted or relegated.

10. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I didn't see it last year, but went to the previous two finals - 2002 because I'm from Stevenage and 2003 because I felt like it...

11. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

It wouldn't have been hard to get a ticket last year. Hednesford have no fans.

12. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

It's not hard to get a ticket any year! I think it might have clashed with the Lord's Test or something.

Annoyingly, I've just found out this year's Vase final clashes with something I've already booked.

13. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Forgot to put a post up about our 2-1 win over Bognor Regis Town (who were the best footballing side I've ever seen at our level).

Anyway, tonight all non-league fans should be supporting us v Yeovil (who are fielding almost a first 11) in our Somerset Premier Cup semi-final....

:)

14. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin CBD evangelist and patio farmer

I'll support anyone against Yeovil ;) . Except Barnet. And Leyton :mad:

15. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We lost 3-1. :(

16. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Have to say the mighty AFC Dons are through to the Surrey Senior Cup final against Walton & Hersham to be played at Woking, after beating Sutton Utd 1-0.. :)

Hopefully we will gain revenge for the 4-0 stuffing, our worst ever competative result, W&H inflicted on us on Saturday..

AtD's tip for promotion into the league next season.. Grays Athletic, stuffed Burton Albion 5-0 in FA trophy semi-final..

17. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Grays are awesome. Already won our league. Signed all the Hornx players and anyone else good. We beat them early in the season, and I think they signed 22 players since then!

If they go up, it won't be as NC champions though. The difference between our league and the national is a big one - and Grays have spent a fortune on wages, but nowhere near as much as some Conference teams - I think Crawley have a very good shout of top 5 (and hence playoffs) next year as well - and they have the fans to back it up!!

18. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

Hereford United have now gone 5 games without conceeding. :cool:

19. Ron Merlin

Enfield Town

Bump!

The mighty Enfield Town could win the Essex Senior league tomorrow. A win at Burnham Ramblers would guarantee us the title. Promotion? All a bit vague - maybe a play-off, maybe not. Farcical situation.

Everybody now: 'Give us an E!' ;)

20. Ron Merlin

Boing again. Talking to meself here. Wibble.

ENFIELD TOWN are Essex Senior League champions! Beat Burnham Ramblers 2-0 on Saturday, making us unreachable at the top of the league. A big awayday event with 361 fans present making a terrible racket, singing 'There's only one F in Enfield etc'. Ref was appalling, but what do you want for this level?

Champions! :D Report and pictures of our gorgeous fans here. You might have to scroll down a bit for the latest report.

Anyone want to grin inanely with me?

21. Andy the Don

Which league will you go into Ryman/Isthmian or Southern..??

Many congrats..

22. Ron Merlin

We want the Southern! That Mickey-Mouse Rymo set-up's not for us, especially with that Costas on the board. Not a friend of football! Ask a Waltham Forest fan. Still, if we get a bye and avoid a play-off we'll take anything, even Rymo 1. Yeurch Harlow away in November, anyone? :(

See you Wombles in the Conference!

23. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

24. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Hmmm. Great pic but a bit big! I'll change it to a link.......

25. Ron Merlin

You can see my hands and the top of my head in that one - a fragment of a blue beanie hat. I'm in a few others going "Ooooooh!" every time, it seems. Not very flattering!

Andy Don - We don't know where we're going now - Southern League or Rymo-Mickey-Mouse-Isthmian league. Depends on ground gradings and who finishes where in the other feeders. We might get a bye; we might be put in a play-off. Farcical. Typical p*ss-stained blazer behaviour from the FA.

BTW Andy, promise me you'll hammer two-fan Leyton next season! We don't like them at all... :mad:

26. tbaldwin

tbaldwin the experts are morons R.I.P.

Looks like Enfield Town wont need a play off after all.Going up the People's club meanwhile Enfield may be overtaken in the pyramid by the club their old fans started. a good day.

27. Andy the Don

After all of last nights Champions (and 3rd, 4th place) League game it may have slipped some people notice that the mighty AFC Dons beat Walton & Hersham 2-1 (aet) in the Surrey Senior Cup final at Woking in front of 4000 supporters... :D

28. Ron Merlin

Congrats to AFC Wombles. Good luck next year in Rymo Premier.

Enfield Town now promoted but won't know into which league until May 11th - FA meeting. Hoping for Southern Lge.

Enfield FC play Winchester, then Didcot (if they win) in the play-offs. I wonder if the FA will allocate both Enfields to the same league?

29. tbaldwin

tbaldwin the experts are morons R.I.P.

It now seems Enfield Town and Enfield will be playing in the same league. Good news for Enfield at least they will get one big crowd!

30. Ron Merlin

Promotion confirmed! See FA website for details.

Bigger crowds, less draughty stadia and better club bars! Joy of joys.

New local derbies to look forward to - Ilford again (oh deep joy, an athletics stadium) and dear old Potters Bar. I wouldn't call Enfield a local derby as they play in Ware :p