Non-League thread

Discussion in 'football' started by Shanksy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. shagged toffee

shagged toffee Banned Banned

That wasn't UU - or if it was it was a different one.

2. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin Gotta get that garlic planted

You'll have a great time, Mr Ears, tho' the grounds are a touch on the small and draughty side. Very friendly people involved with the clubs at this level. My club Enfield Town (Essex Senior League ) have played AFC Sudbury and Wroxham in recent years and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Well, maybe not Wroxham - they beat us! Get yourself in the club bar before and after the game and you're bound to meet some of the club 'characters'. Peculiar old men are legion in non-league :D

3. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Christ yes. Half the fun in going.

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

We are now managerless.

And yes, Uncle Urchin is Karl Williams and does post on the confguide south boards as well as his own clubs board. He looks like Rod Hull.

5. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Before or after he died?

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

7. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Not really surprising I suppose. Of course they did!

8. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

On a slightly different tack, i was pleased to see that
    Maidstone United seem to be on a partial road to recovery after their bankruptcy in 1992. Theirs was a horrible story- basically the chairman got bored, asset stripped the club and closed them down- but they're prominent in the Kent League again and have ambitions to reclaim their former lofty place in the non-league pyramid, and are building a new ground in maidstone.

Good to see, as I thought they'd disappeared altogether/ existed only as a pub team these days.

9. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

I'm afraid my team, Worksop Town look to be heading for trouble. Players wages haven't been paid for four weeks now, no match programs because of debts run up with the printers and now even the team coach company have withdrawn their service. Administration looks not to far away. :(

All this seems to have effected results on the pitch aswell. 2 points out of the last 18th have left us 10th when we looking at 2nd just before christmas.

10. behemoth

behemoth Buy Urban75 on Ebay

Not quite true. The chairman sold the ground and spent the money buying league status, while gambling on a ridiculous property speculation, and sold Dartford's stadium to pay the debts. There are many Dartford fans who wouldn't care if the Stones never rear their greedy heads again.

11. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

Hereford United have dropped to 8th. They will be lucky to get into the playoffs the way they are going.

12. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Dear me. It's not as if Worksop is overloaded with cultural and sporting alternatives as it is.

13. jms

jms The Lagoon (Jazz)

Go Baldock FC!

In the Doctor Martens 176th Division!
    not even in existence anymore!
    yay!

14. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Christ. I lived in North Herts for many years, I've been to see Stevenage and Hitchin and Letchworth, and I couldn't even say where Baldock play.

15. steeplejack

some park near the railway line.

They disappeared a couple of years back.

16. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Like Baldock itself in that respect. I might be the only person I know who's ever been there, and I've only done that once.

17. Ron Merlin

Nice little place, Baldock. Enfield FC beat them after a penalty shoot-out a few years back in the FA Cup and then went on to beat Chesterfield and draw at Preston before losing the replay. Last great cup run before the Great Calamity that saw the demise of Mighty Enfield.

Of course, Kevin Phillips used to play for Baldock. I heard he wanted to get them back up and running a while back, but nothing came of it. Last I heard, Hitchin were using their ground for training. Shame.

18. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

It's good to see this thread resurrected too.

Non-League will never die!!!

I should go to more really.

19. Ron Merlin

Onket - sod the Orient, sod Dagenham, andforget about two-fan Leyton - travel up the Lea and visit us. Our fans are fat and strange.

You know you want to ;)

20. steeplejack

Hmmn, thanks for that Dartford stuff. I'd forgotten the ins and outs of the whole miserable Watling Street fiasco.

By bizarre coincidence the doughty darts have also just got permission for a new stadium back in their home town. Alas these happy tidings don't seem to have done much for their on pitch fortunes, as a pisspoor season would seem to be unfolding in the Southern League East.

Dartford FC

Watch out for the weird petrol station techno which comes on as this site loads...

21. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Exactly. Plus the club has been in existence since 1861, so considering Sheffield FC the oldest has been about since 1857 we are one of the oldest teams in the world left standing i'd say.

22. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

Next round of the FA Trophy just been drawn.

We are at home to Slough Town.

Anyone else still got an interest in the Trophy?

23. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

No, but I've got an interest in Dulwich Hamlet v Tooting and Mitcham on Saturday week.

(Oh - when and where is the final of the Trophy? I've been a couple of times in recent years.)

24. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

It's at Villa Park.

Date still up in the air at the moment due to the League deciding when the play offs are going to be in the Conference leagues.

25. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Not this year :(

26. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Did anybody else go to the Dulwich v Tooting derby today? An atrocious game but there was the most remarkable twenty-two man brawl in the second half. Especially noteworthy was the way the Dulwich player subsequently sent off ran after the linesman who had (apparently incorrectly) identified him to the referee as an offender.

27. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

FA Trophy quarter final weekend.

I'm off to Bishops Stortford to watch us (Gravesend) play them.

Anyone else taking in any Trophy matches?

28. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Garforth Town to sign Romario next season :eek:

29. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We've had 4 sendings off in the last 3 matches! :eek: :(

With a squad of about 16, now Stuart Slater has retired, we're not managing to fill the bench with the suspensions.

30. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

We drew 1-1 each with them scoring a last minute equaliser.

They kicked us off the park though, doing snide challenges and leaving their feet in all the time.

Our back four for an hour consisted of a left back playing at right back, a right back playing centre half with a centre midfielder and a left winger playing left back.

Replay on Tuesday night, I'm taking my boots.