Non-League thread

Discussion in 'football' started by Shanksy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Can't imagine there being too many York there with the way things are going. How may did they bring down?

2. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

A good few - I am absolutely hopeless at assessing crowd numbers, but the away bit was full & they were very vocal. Didn't pass the bit with the coaches to give me an idea. I would say at least a couple of hundred.

Just checked the local paper website & no sacking as yet.

3. Onket

Well I'm glad they've still got the support. They need the income from the gate receipts (I know this one was away, but it's an indicator etc etc).

4. oryx

It was 212 - maybe I'm not as bad at assessing numbers as I thought I was!

No sacking. Board are asking the supporters to get behind Brass, but I can feel the more regular supporters' disappointment. He's on a contract till 2007 so they'll have to pay him if they get rid of him.

5. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

Hereford are 8th so even a play off place isnt certain.

6. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We lost 3-0 to Eastbourne Borough, despite having signed the excellent Luke Corbett from Cheltenham (on loan).

We are on the verge of selling/ have sold David Gilroy to Cheltenham - the first sale of a few, I fear.

7. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

wow, bath city, giant killers, they slew the mighty barnet, top of the conference, and are in the 2nd round of the cup... :)

8. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

9. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin Gotta get that garlic planted

MASSIVE respect to Bath for defeating the hill-scrambling scum of
    (Bl)Underhill. Nice one - scored the winner in the 90th minute too! :D

10. Onket

He's gone now though. Well, sort of, he's still a player. That'll be a bit of an odd one.

The replacement is from Swindon Town and therefore has to be good though!

11. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Anyone heard of Steve Cowe? Ex Swindon/ Forest Green/ Barnet. We just signed himon a free.

12. oryx

13. Ron Merlin

FA Vase tie of the round!!!

The mighty ENFIELD TOWN (fan-owned offshoot of Enfield FC - think AFC Wombles) have been drawn away at - omigod I don't believe it - ENFIELD! Who play in Ware. Yes, it's complicated. Tie probably to be played on Sunday 12th December, seeing as Ware play at home on 11th. Crowd predicted to be massive. All Town fans too.

Can't wait!

"We'll drink in all the bars when we win the FA Vase..." etc :D

14. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I've not been paying attention this season so:

1. Why are Dulwich so poor?
    2. Why are Fisher so good? (Completely out of character.)
    3. Why are Hornchurch good enough to beat Dulwich 9-0 and then apparently be a "crisis club" who can't raise a team just a couple of weeks later?

15. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Hornchurch had a £1.2 million pound wage bill and signed a lot of players (22) many of whom turned down league clubs to go there - Darren Caskey left Bristol City a day before the season started, for example. They also had a large bid accepted for Daryl Clare (though he didn't go) and it seemed they were certs for league football in a year or two.

Now they are playing a youth team because the backers went bust. The club is likely to fold.

16. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Dulwich lost their two top strikers over the summer. We played them on Saturday, won 2-0 & it was the most comfortable 2-0 I have seen for some time. Had some pie merchant as their playmaker. But still that makes its 77 games unbeaten.. :D and we're still "havin' a laugh.."

17. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I'll tell you what's odd about that. When I looked up the score on p.399 of Teletext it said the score had been 2-2.

I saw some real pie merchant playing for Banstead at Champion Hill last season. I mean fat, not "footballer fat" but "if you saw them in the street you'd say they were fat".

18. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

I think I've seen you write that before.

19. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Yeah, me too. Probably the Monday after I saw him play.

20. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

Fisher are so good because they have new backers and hence loads of new money, this has enabled them to buy loads of new players who are Conference standard, for example the Piper brothers, Leon Braithwaite, Steve Watts, Richard Pacquette, Hamid Barr, Ray Powell.

Hornchuch went bust because they double glazing company that bankrolled them (Carthium Group) went bust and featured in a Watchdog programme about dodgy companies and dodgy dealings.

Steve Cowe is pony, no work rate, no skill but then I have only see him play for Forest Green who we drubbed 4-1 away.

21. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

And now ex-manager, if I understand you correctly...

22. Ron Merlin

If you feel like baiting, insulting or just taking the p*ss out of the boss of Coldseal/Carthium, the man responsible for the collapse of Hornchurch, he posts under the name of Uncle Urchin on the Ryman Isthmian board . He's quite a repellant character, and most arrogant. I'd say he actually defines the term nouveau riche. Nasty little creature :mad:

Still, he's very good at insulting Wealdstone fans, so he can't be all bad :D

23. shagged toffee

shagged toffee Banned Banned

Uncle Urchin posts on the Conference South board, but he is a football fan, and is not responsible for the collapse of his football team. I've met him.

24. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Ah, Wealdstone. I won't be going there* again.

[* = i.e. Edgware...]

25. shagged toffee

shagged toffee Banned Banned

Course it could be a different Uncle Urchin.

26. Ron Merlin

Granted he might be a football fan, but his sudden withdrawal of funds nearly caused that poor club's collapse. Admittedly his return is helping, but it does beg the question - is he a fit and proper person to run a club? He's still an arrogant twat tho'. IMHO.

I take it his company hasn't done your windows? ;)

27. Ron Merlin

Not the nicest place, anyway. Stones fans seem a bit more mellow than they used to be in the 80s. Borehamstiff fans, however... never, EVER go to that town. An excess of Burberry. And recessed chins, if you know what I mean... ;)

28. Onket

Did you get any kind of response? From either the coppers or the clubs? Or the media for that matter, seeing as you copied them in!

29. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Media? No. Club? No, except insofar as they actually wrote to the police to congratulate them on their handling of the day. I know this because the police said so in the "we did everything perfectly correctly" letter I got from them.

30. JenkinsEars

JenkinsEars Well-Known Member

I've not read the rest of the thread, so I don't know if anyone else is following the Ridgeon Eastern Counties league. Next season, my local team will be Great Yarmouth, who experience average crowds of 95. It should be quite interesting, I've never seen any football below the fourth division before (unless you count Wales on a bad day!).

Ridgeons League