Non-League thread

Discussion in 'football' started by Shanksy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Well done Shanksy/ Worksop

If we win 11-0 tonight we go top. We need to beat Basingstoke (who, with us, were pre-season relegation favourites) who have won all three.

I'll settle for 1-0.

2. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Weston Super Mare manager Frank Gregan has defended his clubs decision to make all of the clubs playing staff available for transfer.

“I have known this situation would arise since June and all the players have been kept informed. We had money to spend last year as a result of our cup run and at this moment in time we are spending more than our income. We obviously now have to take measures to get the accounts in order and that will mean two or possibly three players having to move on at this stage.”

Gregan remains upbeat however,

“We are all thoroughly enjoying the standard of football that is the Conference South. We aim to give it our very best shot at staying in this division but without going into debt. It is a tall order, but I believe that we can do it. It is always sad when you have to allow quality players to move on but as ever we will act in the best interests of both the football club and our players. We have always treated our players fairly here and just because we have to move some on will not stop us from guarding their best interest. The situation will be managed professionally and although we are highly unlikely to be stronger at the end of it we can reduce the damage caused to the club by ensuring that the transfers are handled properly.

The manager also called on all the clubs supporters to gather round and help the club during this difficult time.

“It’s tough on the supporters I know, but it is tough on all of us. The supporters have been superb to me and my players during my time here and I’m asking them to understand that this issue has to be addressed and hope that they will continue to give the players their full backing. We all need to stand together as a club and get through this and hopefully, still be at this level of football next season.”

We've been awesome, but there's trouble ahead.

Marc McGregor has been voted Conference South player of the month, but he'll be off to Hornchurch or Weymuff now!

:mad:

See seperate thread no-one will care about!

I love though, that fans on the Conference South Forum and Weston forum are offering their support.

3. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Newport County are about to take our manager! :(

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

I see Hornchurch have signed another ex league player from Yeovil for an "undisclosed" fee.

We lost our 18 game unbeaten run on Saturday, we'll have to start another one when we play Barnet this coming Saturday.

5. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Now 70 games unbeaten in the league stretching back to February 2003 which was our last defeat, home against Withdean (0-2)..

6. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

HUFC. Excellent away record completly wank home record so far. :(

7. i_hate_beckham

Hereford have leap frogged Aldershot and are now doing well.

I hope they can keep it up.

*looks for fingers crossed smiley*

8. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We're tenth now with a difficult tie at home to Grays tomorrow...

9. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin CBD evangelist and patio farmer

Enfield Town face Chalfont St Peter in the FA Vase tomorrow... fingers crossed. We managed to beat Harlow in the FA Cup t'other week - the players definitely rauise their game for 'superior' sides - but I'm not sure how they'll approach this one. Would be nice to do well, tho' the league's our priority this year.

Good luck to whoever's playing B****t, Wealdstone and Leyton this weekend. ;)

10. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

We had a good win away at Accrington Stanley despite having a makeshift defence. The day was somewhat soured by a wanker Stanley fan threatening to hit two women supporters "right in the face" - how big of him.

How did your non league boys get on?

11. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We beat Grays with our best performance of the season to be the only team to be still unbeaten at home in Conference South this season.

However, rumours are our manager will leave (and 4 players attached to him via contract) tomorrow to Newport AFC.

Watch this space.

I think our start and a couple of good performances (plus the ineptitude of Paul Parker at Welling before being sacked) in the rest of the season might keep us up.

Not looking forward to next season though.

12. i_hate_beckham

Hereford United are only one point behind the team in 1st place in the conference. :cool: :cool:

13. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin CBD evangelist and patio farmer

Enfield Town eased past a determined Chalfont St Peter side 3-1 to advance to the FA Vase 1st round proper. Now we face Diss Town of the Eastern Counties Premier League. Who apparently once had their toilets repossessed, so one of our fans tells me. Now you know :D

14. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Newport AFC, with a much bigger fanbase than us, couldn't afford the reputed £40,000 a year Frank Gregan is on, so he's still at Weston! :)

15. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

We disposed of the frankly awful Leigh RMI 4-1 with a brace from Roy "Teletext" Essandoh, one from Lee Protheroe and an old skool diving header from Steve Mc Kimm.
    We are now 3rd, once place behind the leaders and the top part time side! Aldershot on Tuesday night should be a cracking game, bit worried about idiots starting trouble though, it's been bad down there this year.

How did your non league charges do?

16. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We beat Evesham 3-1 in the third qualifying round of the FA cup to get ourselves £3,500 of much needed cash. We need a big cup run this year!

Bring on AFC Wimbledon please!

17. Andy the Don

Western-Super-Mere home or away sounds good to us; but watch it we're currently unbeatable.. :D

18. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

It's Weston! And we'd like you at our place please! With all your fans!

19. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

ACtually, given we get 40% of away gate receipts, your place for a draw first sounds good!

20. Andy the Don

Sorry Flimsier but we have Thurrock at home..

"..shopping centre in Essex, you're just a shopping centre in Essex.." :D

21. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Thurrock are in our league. You'll beat them.

We are home to Frome (who we would have been playing this Wednesday in the Somerset Premier Cup if they hadn't needed a replay) or Salisbury City....

2 weeks time....

Have to get AFC Wimbledon in the 4th qualifying round!

22. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

Thurrock are crap, formerly Purfleet.
    "Bluewater's better than Lakeside" always goes down well when we play them, thankfully rarely.
    Just need to watch out for Akurang, Kandol and little Lee Hodges - noone else of note.
    From what I saw pre season AFC should have enough to dispose of them.
    We come in next round, dunno who we'll get, hopefully someone at home.

23. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

I'd fancy last season's Gravesend but not this season's (if we beat Frome/ Salisbury, he says, reminding himself he's asking to be bit on the bum) in the 4th round.

We're a significantly better side than last season, and the FA Cup could keep our players their jobs - though they'd have to go to the 3rd round (and we've never done that) to get enough...

Round 1 is an achievable aim though!

24. Andy the Don

Not a good weekend in the FA Cup for Flimiser & myself with both our teams going down, at home, us 2-0 against Thurrock & Weston SM 3-1 against Sailsbury. Should have forward Murdoch's assessment of Thurrock to the club as Kandol scored for Thurrock.. Oh bugger time to trot out the.."concentrate on the league" line & "always next season.." :(

25. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

Maybe you should have :)

Kandol is probably too good to be playing for them but there are questions over his attitude/commitment.

I am looking forward to seeing who we get tomorrow in the draw, I'm hoping for someone at home, hopefully a non Conference team as we see enough of them during the season.

26. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Good to see this thread pop up again. Worksop managed a good win 3-2 at home to droylsden. So hopefully a kind draw on monday and we might get into the first round proper for only the second time in nearly 20 odd years.

27. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

FA Cup player of the round

I know theyre are a few dons on this board and they already have a player whos one this competition, if anyone fancies voting for a player, Chris Cleary from my team, Worksop would be more than grateful.

PS dont vote more than once because it actually subtracts votes away.They can check your IP number or something.

28. Andy the Don

Done that for you, but it looks like a Bath City player who has 90% of the vote (must be the next big thing since Pele then..)

Who you got in the next round..??

29. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Alfreton Town at home, theyre not too fart from worksop either so it should be a big crowd. gonna be tricky as theyre top of conf. north at the mo.

Cheers for the vote, not quite sure where all these bath votes are coming from, i do suppose that bath is a bit bigger than worksop anyway.

30. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Went to Underhill to see Barnet entertain York City. (4-0, in the great unlikelihood that you're interested). Barnet were unlucky to keep the score in single figures, such was the paucity of my team's performance. York have really got to get a new manager now - I think the board have the current incumbent, Brass, on an ultimatum but they can't go on losing like this. A seagull ( :confused: in North London?) hovered over the away supporters' end & I was fully expecting it to open its beak & squawk "Brass, yer fookin' shite!" along with the majority of YC fans..... :(