Non-League thread

Discussion in 'football' started by Shanksy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Right, we've got threads for every all of the footy leagues, but i refuse to believe that their are no other felllow urbanites whose pride and joy, doesn't play below div 3? league.... anyway whatever they call it nowadays.

My team Worksop Town, play in the new conference north, however i spect if i limited the thread to conf north it'd bomb even worse than the Luis Enrique thread, so here we go who's youre team and ure predictions for the season.

Mine. Before saturday i couldn't see where the next goal would come from, now we've signed mighty dene cropper back from Boston and with more players to come, i reckon a top 5

2. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Hello Shanksy..

As one of the few AFC Wimbledon supporters on these boards can I say that I am very optimistic & reckon that we will be Ryman Div 1 South Champions on 16th April 2005 away to Tooting & Mitcham. Also looking forward to a good run in the FA Trophy & should our teams meet would love to buy you pint.

3. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Hey Andy, I think almost every non league fan (whose team doesn't have to play them) has an eye on how AFC wimbledon are doing even if its just to see how long it is until they end up in the same league as that franchise club from MK [spit spit]. Last i heard they were trying to buy kingstonians ground?

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

I support Gravesend and Northfleet in the Conference National. We are one of the few remaining part time teams in there but do alright and hold our own now.

First season was a bit scary as some of our players were woefully out of their depth but now we have a better team with better players and will hopefully finish top 10 with an outside chance of sneaking into the playoffs.

5. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin Gotta get that garlic planted

As some of you know, I follow Enfield Town (website here) in the Essex Senior League. We are similar to AFC Wombles except WE FORMED A YEAR BEFORE THEM :mad: ;) :p . (Cough - apols for shouting but no-one acknowledges this in the crappy popular press) No disrespect to Wombles fans, though, as they've done wonders and shown what can really be done by a fan-owned club. Good stuff indeed :)

We're hoping to win the league again this year and go up this time, now we've finished the ground improvements. New signings - Dean Nyman and Eli Kitenge - look very promising in friendlies.

BTW Murdoch, do G&N still have the excellent Darren Annon, ex-Enfield FC?

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

I don't think Annon has never played for us.

He was at Farnborough and then is now at our former rivals Margate so will be playing in the Conference South next year if he doesn't get a move upwards.

7. Ron Merlin

Ah. Oops. Ignore me, Murdoch, I'm having a bad brain day :(

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

We had Mark Bentley for a while, I think he was one of your old players.
    He was good, took the money and ran to Dagenham though.

9. Ron Merlin

Ah, Mark Bentley. He scored against Enfield FC (the prent club) for Aldershot during the time Lazarou was running down the club. Unhappy times. Quality player - knows his own worth.

10. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

I'm a fan of Weston-super-Mare.

We achieved our second successive promotion last year, and in our 50 year history have never been relegated.

Last year's promotion was more of a 're-organisation'.

Can't wait for Conference South to kick off. I'm travelling back home to see us v Hornchurch in the first game. Apparently, Hornchurch just bid £100,000 for Daryl Clare (accepted, but player didn't want to go) :eek:

I think we'll struggle, due to our low attendances/ budget, but we have some quality in our side.

Semi-pro international Mark McGregor, ex England international Stuart Slater, Mark McKeever (once transferred for £500,000 to Sheff Wed - is still mid 20s), Billy Clark, Lewis Hogg, Dave Gilroy (all ex Rovers, Gilly was there last season and is 22).

We've lost Justin Skinner, and a couple of squad players, and don't have a lot of squad depth.

Desperate need of a new keeper as ours is joining the police in September!

Bring it on.

www.westonsupermarefc.co.uk

11. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

I really would like to see York City go back up this season. After all the trouble they had with that money grabbing cock sucker Douglas Craig putting the club up for sale in 2001 and stating that if a buyer couldn’t be found the club would resign from the league and cease to exist. Just cos he wanted to sell Bootham Crescent for re-development.

The club is now owned by the independent body the ‘York City Supporters’ Trust’, bought out of administration and unfortunately went down last season.

I used to go and see them fairly regularly when I lived around York but haven’t for a long time. The last game I went to was their cup game against Fulham in Jan 2002 where Al Fayed kindly donated Fulham’s share of the gate receipts to the Supporters Trust.

Anyway, come on the Minstermen this season!!

12. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

£100,000 for a player is ridiculous at that level. Always a bit weary of sugar daddies coming into small clubs, especially if there ground is in a nice place, as york goes to show. They get bored of their little toy teams when they realise not everything goes right all the time cos u got a bit of money.

13. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

Hereford United in the national conference. Hopefully will finish in the top 5 after missing out on automatic promotion by 1 point last season. However due to them not going up a lot of the players from last season left to find better teams. :(

14. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Even worse I heard he was offered £3K per week. Playing for a non-league club in front of 400-500.. Where do Hornchurch get the money..?? A Roman Abramovich mini-me..

15. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

Hornchurch get their money from the guy who owns Bryco windows.

Players are turning down Conference National clubs to go there for four figures a week.

16. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Steve Claridge got paid well over £100,000 at Weymouth last year.

He more than paid for it with the increase in attendances (but they finished second, ha ha!)

17. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Shit, Hornchurch have just signed Darren Caskey from Bristol City - straight into the side for tomorrow's game.

We're in trouble :(

18. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Shouldn't worry mate, Caskey's shite.

Wonder when he'll finally find his level.

19. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Errm, he's dropped down three divisions and got a wage rise

:(

20. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Doesn't say much for his professional pride though. But then his career has been one big unfulfilled let down so it figures.

21. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Also shows that Hornchurch have spent a lot of cash (21 players bought in the close season).

If we get a result, I'll be very :)

22. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Weston-super-Mare 0 - 0 Hornchurch

Excellent end-to-end game.

Caskey was appalling and subbed in the 60th minute.

We were excellent - though they had ten men for an hour. I actually believe that me standing behind the ref after a nasty challenge and telling him (a) the rules and (b) that he had an assessor in the ground MAY have influenced the fact that a straight red was issued - at least their fans (who were close to me) were convinced it was my fault :D

Very happy with a point against a team with a 1.2 million pound wage bill.

That's over 8 times ours! :eek:

23. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

hear hear hear hear hear!
    :) :cool:

I'm a member of YCST. I really, really hope they manage to get back up.

24. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Worksop Town 1-1 Stalybrigde Celtic

We (worksop) were totally over ran in frst half and they deservedly went into the break 0-1 up, scored 12 seconds into the second half, and looked a bit better in that half. Most of the side are new so they'll need a bit of time to gel. But quite happy with the draw.

Even worksop is getting with the times now;; they video record all our games, which can be bought on DVD, anyway we were later informed that when our goalie was booked for being outside the box when picking up the ball, he was indeed inside so :p you useless ref.

Off to Hinckley tonight.

25. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We haven't the fans for the video stuff but I have copies of the FA Cup ties v Farnborough, Northampton Town and the game v Dover Athletic from last season.

We have Dorchester tonight. It's hit and miss (for example, they in successive games lost 8-0 and then had the better of a 2-2 draw v Weymouth last year). If we play like Saturday, we'll be top 8.

26. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what form the resurected conference cup is going to take?

27. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

I hope it'll be disbanded. We are entering our reserves apparently.

28. Shanksy

Shanksy "Run Away!"

we always took the Unibond League Cup quite seriously so, probably play mostly first teamers, although we've got a new manager so he might have different ideas. Personally I wouldn't mind the opportunity to play against some of the National Conference teams.

29. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

We'll take the FA Trophy and FA Cup seriously.

The Conference Cup will be shunned by the Conference national teams. Rightly. A cup too far.

30. Murdoch

Murdoch Ennui

Our manager has already stated that the youth team and trialists will play in the Conference Cup.

One competition too many imo.

We started with a 2-2 draw with Northwich, the game was marred by possibly the most inept display of refereeing I have seen. One of our players was sent off for diving when he was clearly fouled in the area, there was audible contact and to top it off the Northwich bench commented "Oh Shit" as the tackle went in.

Needless to say the ref was being "assessed", guaranteed to make them fuck up.