Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Noise cancelling headphones

kazza007

Bunned
Recommend me thread:
Going on a long haul soon and thought I'd buy some as not sure my earphones cut it. Missed out some old model Bose on eBay, before I search for more, any other recommendations please?
K

bemused

I've been using the same pair of bose 25s for the last ten years no problem at all other than replacing the cable once. They are a godsend on flights.

petee

i'm spartacus
this thread is relevant to my interests.
i have a noise-cancelling pair but they're not very good. what are good are 3M Tekk line earmuffs. i bought the 30dB, one of the most useful purchases i've made. they cancel noise better than the noise-cancelling ones i own, which cancel hiss an rumble but let conversation through.

urbanspaceman

this thread is relevant to my interests.
i have a noise-cancelling pair but they're not very good. what are good are 3M Tekk line earmuffs. i bought the 30dB, one of the most useful purchases i've made. they cancel noise better than the noise-cancelling ones i own, which cancel hiss an rumble but let conversation through.
I'd never thought of using industrial earmuffs for flights - what a good idea. I have just bought: 3M Peltor X4

And only £20 to £25

petee

i'm spartacus
I'd never thought of using industrial earmuffs for flights - what a good idea. I have just bought: 3M Peltor X4

And only £20 to £25

i have 3M Tekk 90561-00000T, about $25 iirc. i've never had them on a plane but they suit my purposes very well. they shut out everything from the outside and they were able even to shut out the couple in the apt next to mine when they had screaming matches.

Last edited:

pesh

or being comfortable for long haul flights. they sound fantastic but fuck wearing them for 24+hrs
+1 for Bose 25s, not amazing sounding but very comfortable and they cut the noise down amazingly.

Recommend me thread:
Going on a long haul soon and thought I'd buy some as not sure my earphones cut it. Missed out some old model Bose on eBay, before I search for more, any other recommendations please?
K
I have QC25s and the build quality is shit.
Here's what they look like after 6 months.

They're shit like Beats but on a higher budget.
Only thing I praise them for , was that they did produce a neutral sound...

I'm a big fan of the Fidelios, tested the NC1 and it was good. Unsure what the build quality is like as I bought the M2-BT (decided that noise cancelling was a bit gimmicky. Preferred a fuller sound with decent isolation instead).

If budget is a thing, check out the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 1.
I bought it last year and it was fun - ridiculously long battery life and BT too.
The noise cancelling feature was very decent.
Costs 70 squid now from Amazon Marketplace

Only returned it cos I couldn't run with them (too loose on the head for running).

twentythreedom

Patterdale Terrorist
R.I.P.
Is there such a thing as a noise cancelling app for use on gadget with normal headphones? It must be technically possible, right? Or isn't it?

fishfinger

تپلی
Is there such a thing as a noise cancelling app for use on gadget with normal headphones? It must be technically possible, right? Or isn't it?
The headphones have microphones on them to listen to the noise reaching the ear. Circuitry in the headphones generates anti-noise to cancel out the outside sounds. Unless the microphones are close to the ear, then any cancelling will be less than optimal.

twentythreedom

Patterdale Terrorist
R.I.P.
The headphones have microphones on them to listen to the noise reaching the ear. Circuitry in the headphones generates anti-noise to cancel out the outside sounds. Unless the microphones are close to the ear, then any cancelling will be less than optimal.
Surely the difference in background outside sounds between an ear mounted mic and a mic on a phone in a pocket or whatever, ie within a foot or two, wouldn't be that great? At a guess there must be a pretty massive similarity between the two.

I am not an audiologist / headphone scientist, as I'm sure you can tell, but you'd think there would be some scope for neutralising the bulk of background racket using a phone mounted mic.

fishfinger

تپلی
Surely the difference in background outside sounds between an ear mounted mic and a mic on a phone in a pocket or whatever, ie within a foot or two, wouldn't be that great? At a guess there must be a pretty massive similarity between the two.

I am not an audiologist / headphone scientist, as I'm sure you can tell, but you'd think there would be some scope for neutralising the bulk of background racket using a phone mounted mic.
No. firstly the mic has to be close to the earphone and there needs to be one for each ear - a mono mic would be useless, as there will be phase differences between ears, let alone the difference in sound reaching your ears and your pocket. Secondly, any app on a phone will introduce latency between the original signal and the noise cancellation. It's possible to compensate for this but it's really just polishing a turd.

twentythreedom

Patterdale Terrorist
R.I.P.
No. firstly the mic has to be close to the earphone and there needs to be one for each ear - a mono mic would be useless, as there will be phase differences between ears, let alone the difference in sound reaching your ears and your pocket. Secondly, any app on a phone will introduce latency between the original signal and the noise cancellation. It's possible to compensate for this but it's really just polishing a turd.
SCIENCE :cool:

Cheers for the explanation :thumbs:

petee

i'm spartacus
i have 3M Tekk 90561-00000T, about $25 iirc. i've never had them on a plane but they suit my purposes very well. they shut out everything from the outside and they were able even to shut out the couple in the apt next to mine when they had screaming matches.
which stopped for about 2 months while i think they had a separation (i know this because, yes, i heard them yelling about it) but now have started again. the tekks are still doing their job.

RubyBlue

faded and jaded
I had the Bose ones which I liked but the sound leakage was appalling ~ if I was sat next to someone on public transport listening to music through them I would be mightily pissed off, that’s the only reason I returned them. Just bought the Sony WH~1000Xm3 and they seem decent enough ~ trying them out over the weekend.

MrCurry

Invandrare
Sorry for the thread bump, but I’m really interested in noise cancelling headphones as a potential solution to help someone who has misophonia.

Could any of you who have experience with using these headphones please explain if they isolate all sounds from the surrounding environment, or only regular repetitive sound (like the droning of an aeroplane engine?). What I mean is, if you were wearing these on a flight and the steward walks up and asks you a question do you hear the human voice while being insulated against the background ambient noise, or is there no such discrimination and is all sound blocked?

Also if anyone suffers with misophonia and has experience of using noise cancelling headphones it would be really awesome to hear whether they have helped you?