Help Noise cancelling headphones

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by kazza007, Aug 28, 2017.

1. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Recommend me thread:
    Going on a long haul soon and thought I'd buy some as not sure my earphones cut it. Missed out some old model Bose on eBay, before I search for more, any other recommendations please?
    K

2. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Should I have put this in 'wearable tech'?:hmm:

If so, please can a moderator Transport it over.:confused:

3. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

seinheiser hd 25's

kazza007 likes this.
  4. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I've been using the same pair of bose 25s for the last ten years no problem at all other than replacing the cable once. They are a godsend on flights.

pesh and kazza007 like this.
  5. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Aren't noise cancelling.

Chemical needs likes this.
  7. petee

petee i'm spartacus

this thread is relevant to my interests.
    i have a noise-cancelling pair but they're not very good. what are good are 3M Tekk line earmuffs. i bought the 30dB, one of the most useful purchases i've made. they cancel noise better than the noise-cancelling ones i own, which cancel hiss an rumble but let conversation through.

8. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

I was thinking of Bose quiet comfort 15's.

Are they too old?:(

9. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

I'd never thought of using industrial earmuffs for flights - what a good idea. I have just bought: 3M Peltor X4

And only £20 to £25

petee likes this.
  10. petee

petee i'm spartacus

i have 3M Tekk 90561-00000T, about $25 iirc. i've never had them on a plane but they suit my purposes very well. they shut out everything from the outside and they were able even to shut out the couple in the apt next to mine when they had screaming matches.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  11. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

they seem to d the job

12. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Unless that job is noise cancelling.

Saul Goodman and magneze like this.
  13. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

or being comfortable for long haul flights. they sound fantastic but fuck wearing them for 24+hrs
    +1 for Bose 25s, not amazing sounding but very comfortable and they cut the noise down amazingly.

14. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

They are great as well.

kazza007 likes this.
  15. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    kazza007 likes this.
  16. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I have QC25s and the build quality is shit.
    Here's what they look like after 6 months.

[​IMG]

They're shit like Beats but on a higher budget.
    Only thing I praise them for , was that they did produce a neutral sound...

I'm a big fan of the Fidelios, tested the NC1 and it was good. Unsure what the build quality is like as I bought the M2-BT (decided that noise cancelling was a bit gimmicky. Preferred a fuller sound with decent isolation instead).

If budget is a thing, check out the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 1.
    I bought it last year and it was fun - ridiculously long battery life and BT too.
    The noise cancelling feature was very decent.
    Costs 70 squid now from Amazon Marketplace

Only returned it cos I couldn't run with them (too loose on the head for running).

kazza007 likes this.
  17. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

The Sony MDR-1000X are good, if you like that sort of thing (persoanlly, I don't favour noise cancelling).

kazza007 likes this.
  18. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

Is there such a thing as a noise cancelling app for use on gadget with normal headphones? It must be technically possible, right? Or isn't it?

19. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

The headphones have microphones on them to listen to the noise reaching the ear. Circuitry in the headphones generates anti-noise to cancel out the outside sounds. Unless the microphones are close to the ear, then any cancelling will be less than optimal.

twentythreedom likes this.
  20. twentythreedom

Surely the difference in background outside sounds between an ear mounted mic and a mic on a phone in a pocket or whatever, ie within a foot or two, wouldn't be that great? At a guess there must be a pretty massive similarity between the two.

I am not an audiologist / headphone scientist, as I'm sure you can tell, but you'd think there would be some scope for neutralising the bulk of background racket using a phone mounted mic.

21. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

No. firstly the mic has to be close to the earphone and there needs to be one for each ear - a mono mic would be useless, as there will be phase differences between ears, let alone the difference in sound reaching your ears and your pocket. Secondly, any app on a phone will introduce latency between the original signal and the noise cancellation. It's possible to compensate for this but it's really just polishing a turd.

twentythreedom likes this.
  22. twentythreedom

SCIENCE :cool:

Cheers for the explanation :thumbs:

fishfinger likes this.
  23. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

24. twentythreedom

*bump*

Need a pair of over ear NCHs for about £50, need Bluetooth and lead / line in.

Any suggestions?

25. petee

petee i'm spartacus

which stopped for about 2 months while i think they had a separation (i know this because, yes, i heard them yelling about it) but now have started again. the tekks are still doing their job.

26. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

I had the Bose ones which I liked but the sound leakage was appalling ~ if I was sat next to someone on public transport listening to music through them I would be mightily pissed off, that’s the only reason I returned them. Just bought the Sony WH~1000Xm3 and they seem decent enough ~ trying them out over the weekend.

27. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

After 48 hours testing these ~ they are the fucking bomb!! Pricy but worth it.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.