Noctilucent clouds

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by 2hats, May 29, 2015.

1. 2hats

2hats

The northern hemisphere noctilucent cloud season has arrived (satellite observations indicate early this year - usually it is June-August). Some were spotted over Scotland yesterday and radar measurements indicate they are further south. Photo from Ayrshire:
    [​IMG]
    These clouds hover around 80km up and may becoming more common as a consequence of global warming.

2. 2hats

2hats

And some lovely rippled NLC's seen from Skye in the last couple of days:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Almor, PippinTook, editor and 10 others like this.
  3. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

So many harbingers of doom make a good photo.

two sheds, Miss-Shelf and gentlegreen like this.
  4. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

This was full of hailstones in Clapham yesterday.

[​IMG]

#nofilter

Badgers, trabuquera and two sheds like this.
  5. 2hats

2hats

Activity looks to be picking up - extensive clouds off/over Scandinavia (first image data from the NASA AIM spacecraft, second shot on 1st June from Kristianstad, Sweden):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CosmikRoger

CosmikRoger Well-Known Member

Its when people come out with words like noctilucent I really regret my poor education. Why have I never heard of noctilucent clouds before? This shit is interesting and I can't even spell it without three attempts.

PippinTook and CNT36 like this.
  7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Something for me to watch out for when I can't sleep - living at 55North I've seen a good few of these. Probably more of them than the Northern Lights in the last few years.

PippinTook likes this.
  8. 2hats

2hats

Seen off Anglesey over the weekend just:
    [​IMG]

9. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

TBF I don't think it's part of many curricul... Curriculums... curriculae? ah, curricula.

PippinTook likes this.
  10. 2hats

2hats

This year's noctilucent cloud season is well underway with displays seen this week across a lot of Europe including on Wednesday morning from Newcastle:
    [​IMG]

11. 2hats

2hats

And once again - noctilucent cloud season over the UK and there have been displays for several days now. I can see them to the north right now (poor mobile phone shot attached). Weather looks promising for potential viewing for the coming week.
    NLC.jpeg

Also a nice sun pillar visible just after sunset earlier…
    [​IMG]

Almor, PippinTook, quimcunx and 6 others like this.
  12. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I saw one of them rising over the Pennines last winter I think. It was eerily beautiful. I'll try and dig out the photo.

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. petee

petee i'm spartacus

PippinTook, quimcunx, clicker and 3 others like this.
  14. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

There was a lenticular cloud over near where I stay in Edinburgh last week.
    IMG_20180620_212022226_HDR.jpg

15. 2hats

2hats

Same noctilucent cloud display seen off Anglesey the other day along with bioluminescent plankton...
    [​IMG]

Video of the same…

16. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

17. 2hats

2hats

Back again and visible to the north right now. Radar suggests maybe 84 km in altitude.
    [​IMG]

PippinTook likes this.
  18. PippinTook

PippinTook A flower does not ask to bloom, it just does.

I remember when I was about 6 yrs old getting a free cloud formation info booklet that had a sliding picture scale on top, It came free in a box of cereal. I kept it for years.