No tubes on NYE.......

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by EastEnder, Dec 22, 2005.

1. scott_forester

scott_forester probably talking shite

One drunk vs. two, three or four blokes - you have to wonder how far he could have gone? In the end a passer-by helped her. When I went to complain there were still drunk ticket touts at the top of the stairs and in the hall. The guys in the office basically admitted that they couldn't do anything about it. If that is the case CCTV is the same as people on the ground in that situation.

2. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson Banned Banned

[​IMG]

3. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

This is the post that has depressed me most in recent pages.

LDR, like myself, supports the strike, yet finds himself outnumbered in real life** by opponents of it.

**as opposed to in the weird world of Urban 75, and in even leftier places like that

It's probably the way I've felt for the last 25 years at least, about being a Trade Unionist leftie. The miniscule power that I and those like me have to have any influence whatsoever on peoples' opinion, is utterly dwarfed by the power of the mainstream media to persuade people into having a deeply conservative-minded reaction to strikes ...

To be honest, I think the 'left' should pay more attention** to this reality :(

**instead of constantly blaming 'liberals' and 'Guardianistas' -- the Mail and the Substandard will have far more influence over far more people on issues like strikes, than the Guardian ever will

4. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Was there big overtime on offer for working NYE?

5. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Mr Retro: probably, but Oxpecker's already pointed out that they weren't actually allowed to.

As far as LDR's nurses are concerned, just because some workers find it very hard, morally and practically, to strike, why on earth should that mean others can't?

6. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Anyway, for my part I found it slightly irksome to use the buses on the night but also cheaper and not that much of a hassle. Hardly the 'misery' forecast by the right wing press.

Better than using potentially unsafe scab services anyway.

7. Sore_Head

Sore_Head channelling boredom

I don't like the presumption here that just because someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint (or this particular strike) that they must be simple-minded folk, brainwashed by the awesome power of the right wing media. That's just bullshit, and a naive justification for the inability to convince others of your perceived correctness. "Oh, you would believe I'm right, but you're obviously far too brain washed..." Crap.

Personally I'm in favour of strikes, but I'm afraid I don't look at things in black and white like you, and I've seen nothing (in either the right or left wing press) to convince me that this was a legitimate action. All the RMT had to say on the matter was 'well it might make things more dangerous, but we don't really know'. I'm paraphrasing, but that's about the gist of it.

8. William of Walworth

9. William of Walworth

How on earth do I respond to this?

I confess to being struck a little dumb ... your post is such an utter distortion of what I meant and think, and of what LDR meant.

Your belief that an 'objective' way of describing the press is to refer to some weird spectrum known as 'the right or left wing press' to me seems bizarre, It's as if you think there are an equal number of either type, and as if you think 'the left wing press' (where? which ones? too left wing for you?) might be of equal power/influence in favour of strikes and unions, as mass circulation propaganda sheets like the Mail and Standard in propogandising against them and whipping up hostility to them.

All this tells me that your view of these things is miles apart from mine.

You also appear to write off any possibility that Mail/Standard style coverage of strikes (ie hugely negative and distorted) might influence people.

You cannot write off that possibility, nor can you accuse people who DO think it has a huge and malign influence over general/popular opinion in this country as 'patronising'.