No tubes on NYE.......

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by EastEnder, Dec 22, 2005.

1. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4550830.stm

Looks like I'll be sticking with the party up the road then.....

2. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I'm sure they'll call it off when they get what they want.

4. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

will they tho? it's a week away!

5. knopf

knopf Banned Banned

Let's all hope they get what they want then. :)

6. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Ha ha ha,

I won't be here so who cares. Tubes fucking suck anyway.

So what do they want now? 30K for pushing a stop ang button not enough for them.

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Better hope they win eh?

Or realise that it's a big fucking city and that without them you'd be fucked for getting about, so perhaps they fully deserve decent pay and conditions, especially when dealing with pissed up wankers on NYE/D!

9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What do they want? Amongst other things better safety conditions for drivers, tube staff and passengers as it goes.

10. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

definitely.

11. spanglechick

afaik, this isn't about pay and confitions as such - it relates to the distribution of staffing across stations which has had to be re -jigged since they got the 35hr shorter week.

12. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Maybe they could just draft in the robots who drive the DLR trains to work that night...

13. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Princess

its about redundancies of staff- which LU have neither said nor denied.

14. knopf

knopf Banned Banned

From the link: -

15. belboid

wel, that is about conditions then - les staff, opther staff have to work more.

(okay, its slightly indirect, but point still stands)

16. zenie

zenie >^^<

Still have buses though I presume??? :eek:

17. butchersapron

Yes, it's about cutting front-line staff in a move that will affect safety for everyone (if you're a greedy fuck look at the last one and how it might affect you):

CUTS IN station staff numbers planned by London Underground will leave stations dangerously understaffed and ticket offices closed as passengers face a £3 minimum ‘walk-on’ cash fare, the Tube’s biggest union warns commuters today.

But as cash fares are set to rise to a minimum £3 for a single stop to force uptake of the deeply unpopular OysterCard system, RMT points out that LUL wants to close eleven booking offices altogether and slash opening times of the rest by up to 70 per cent.

Platform staff at terminus stations, who not only ensure safe detraining but who are also invaluable in spotting unattended items, are also to be massively reduced or removed altogether

“Most other operational grades in central London will also be affected, with supervisory and booking office positions hardest hit. If these cuts go ahead and you are unlucky enough to find yourself without a ticket you’ll have little chance of getting one and could face a £6 for a return journey of two stops.
    here

18. knopf

knopf Banned Banned

Link not working, butchers.

Good post, though.

19. belboid

20. butchersapron

Sorted now.

21. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

personally i think that clsoing ticket offices will be a bad thing - i think the implication is that already understaffed stations will have the ticket office open for even less time - meaning that there is no-one around to keep an eye on the station, no support for drivers in an emergency and no human contacts for the emergency services in the area.

22. knopf

knopf Banned Banned

:cool:

23. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Absolutely. Apparently it's all connected with the Oyster card - now you can update it without needing to bother a live human being, they don't need as many staff. They've been talking about it for ages - since at least the summer. TfL are claiming that staff will be redeployed but I think that's probably bollocks.

24. spanglechick

exactly - twil be like the overland. unstaffed stations = free pass for muggers / rapists... :mad:

25. jayeola

jayeola New Member

Ah, but it's the stress of having to push it on, then off and wait for it... on again. Also they have to deal with people asking them "directions" and that must be tiresome.

26. belboid

you try it shitferbrains.

especially some of that lovely seeing a suicide jump out in front of you.

wanker.

27. knopf

knopf Banned Banned

Well they must be doing something right if they take a day off on NYE & you all shit yourselves. :D

28. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Its been in the pipeline for a little bit longer than the summer!

29. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Princess

yup, i've seen someone do it, and got back on the public transport- and? |Your point is what exactly?

30. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Yes but most of the security is via cctv now anyway, staff won't see anything from inside a ticket office.