1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by tommers, Dec 8, 2013.

1. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

Still spending hours and hours in this game.
    I'm a bit addicted. I don't love it but I keep on playing for some reason.
    Things are frustrating. It takes time to build up money and technology etc.
    But when you do make a bit of progress it keeps you coming back.
    Bored with the soundtrack so put on my own CDs that work quite well.
    Have a freighter now that is quite minimal dark and moody.
    My planet base has a decent farm for making insulating gel and selling nip nip buds which is space marijuana as far as I can tell.

There are still some beautiful moments, but also many mundane ones.
    Guess I'll keep space truckin' on....

tommers and Vintage Paw like this.
  2. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

I haven't played for a couple of months because I'd done everything doable. I used to spend hours and hours in it, but I suddenly lost interest. I'm not sure I want to find the time for this big update...I suspect it could easily take over my life.

3. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I've just patched the game today to play after not having done so for quite some time. I'm just pootling on creative mode, but will consider starting a new normal save when 1.4 comes out.

It's a year today, since it released, I believe.

4. Indeed, 1 year yesterday. I still love it, the last update kept me going for ages, building a base, installing all the terminals, doing all the shiz for those guys. Then once I'd done the system around me to death, I moved nearer to the core and started over. Just in standard mode, or whatever its called.

My, ah, unique playing style meant I only got the v3 Atlas pass about two months back, so that was exciting :D

This net release might actually see me start over ... maybe. I've got so much invested in my current game though!!!

Now have 4 ships on my freighter.

5. Vintage Paw

I wish there was a half-way mode somewhere between creative and normal. I want to be able to get into fights with sentinels but I don't want the grind. I want to feel a sense of progress, but I don't want the grind. Grind is fine if there's enough of a pay-off, but for me there isn't here. So I focus instead on just finding nice things to take pictures off, which is fine, but I get bored easily.

steveo87 likes this.
  6. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

7. Vintage Paw

Crikey, those are some decent changes!

8. Vintage Paw

Steam update is live now. Exciting!

9. steveo87

steveo87 Procrastinating for....a while

So... I think I like No Man's Sky again...

10. Vintage Paw

The only thing I don't like about the update is the change to the UI where you upload discoveries. 1) You can't see a close-up of the animals, which is annoying as I can't see them properly to name them appropriately (for example, I can't easily see the difference between a Batticus Finch and a Toucandoitto), and 2) when you hover over a plant or animal or waypoint in the list to upload it, the popup info box covers whatever is underneath it in the list and obscures whether it's been uploaded already or not, which just adds unnecessary time and annoyance to a process that used to be pretty quick and painless.

Other than that, though, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

11. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Has the update started downloading on anyone's PS4 yet? It's not happening for me...

12. Vintage Paw

It came out for PS4 before it did on Steam.

13. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Which mode do you play

14. Johnny Vodka

Weird. Maybe I need to start a session of the game for it to start.

15. Vintage Paw

I've spent most time in creative I think, but I've started a new normal mode game for the latest update.

I'm following the new storyline, and just found one of these amazing things:

[​IMG]

fishfinger likes this.
  16. Vintage Paw

I've just managed to buy the blueprint for warp drive tau but it's going to be a while before I can build it because I don't have the necessary components. Dynamic resonators are cheap enough in the grand scheme of things, but I haven't got access to the other stuff. Like fungal something or another. Hopefully I can find a ship that has sigma and tau already installed (theta would be great too, but I don't expect to see one of those for a while). My current ship had sigma already.

17. Johnny Vodka

Went as if to start a session and the update started downloading. Don't think I played much of the last update, completely due to time/other games.

18. dweller

It's a pretty good update. I play on normal mode and some systems are much more dangerous now and if you get attacked by pirates in those ones you better be prepared for a tough dogfight. you now have the option to pay a bribe to call the pirates off.
    The story they added is okay - probably best for brand new players.
    I still like the old "I don't have a plan I'll just explore and make money" way of playing so I'm rushing through the story
    so as to get back to that.
    Lots of improvements though - so gets the thumbs up overall.

19. Vintage Paw

The new story is an extended tutorial really, but I think that's a decent way to guide you through getting the necessary upgrades you need early on. I've got as far as it telling me to claim a base. I didn't want the one it told me to get, so I said no thanks I'll find my own. It still highlights the old one, but now I'm on that interminable search for The Perfect Planet.

I found a nice moon last night, my first body that didn't require any kind of hazard protection (outside of the freezing storms that come once or twice a day). Moons always seem to be where the prettiest stuff is, in my experience. But I get bored of them quickly, so this won't be where I put down roots.

I found a crashed 47-slot behemoth of an A-class cargo ship when I was still on my first bought ship with 19 slots. Of course I took it. I only repaired a couple of its slots, which took me to 22/47, but it was worth 22mil in that state, which I thought was a pretty decent place to be trading from that early in the game. I spent quite a long time with just 5mil in my bank sat at a trade outpost, checking out all the ships, and eventually settled on a 34 slot B-class fighter, which I got for free. It'll do me quite nicely for a while. I've still to find warp reactor sigma anywhere, and still haven't built tau because I don't have a hazmat gauntlet to be able to harvest the required fungal thingy, so eventually I'll upgrade again, but only if the price is right. Of course, if I find my dream ship crashed somewhere I'll get that and slowly pay to fix the slots.

20. Vintage Paw

Never listen to a word I say.

This is my home now.

[​IMG]

21. Vintage Paw

This is a painting and you can't tell me otherwise.

[​IMG]

tommers likes this.
  22. Vintage Paw

This is my new favourite planet. Legit considering moving my (rudimentary) base already :D

These chaps are living their best life.

[​IMG]

23. Vintage Paw

I went through my first portal. What was on the other side was... trippy.

I'm enjoying this update so much. So much.

D'wards and Johnny Vodka like this.
  24. Vintage Paw

If you find a planet with the large spinny circle machinery things, take an hour out of your day to fly around and find 20 of them and read the story attached. Oh. My. Goodness.

Excellent. My best experience in the game so far.

25. Vintage Paw

And just stumbled upon a space battle when warping into this system :thumbs:

[​IMG]

tommers and Johnny Vodka like this.
  26. Vintage Paw

This is an incredibly useful little website. It lets you input your coordinates and plot your galactic location in relation to various other community points of interest. You can find out your coordinates by placing a signal booster, and the coordinates will be shown when you go to interact with it. They can be converted into portal glyphs too (and vice versa). It might be of interest to some of you.

27. dweller

I found one of those but didn't know what it was - so haven't done the story bit - will have to revisit if I can find it or another one.

28. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Why can't i find planets like this?