No Lambeth return for Paddick

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 9, 2002.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Pinggoombah likes this.
  2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

3. grubby local

grubby local tapir wanker

fucks sake. well i hope your hope is right Mrs M....
    gx

4. Clapham Omnibus

Clapham Omnibus a bit laid back

Yard today gone tomorrow

They post them here they post them there.
    There seems to be a lot of scrambled egg looking for a plate.;)
    When in doubt stick them in the Yard.
    Only thing is the yards full up.
    I wonder if the management consultants have considered what the call center industry is doing and posting them abroad.
    Difficult one though. Ops Controller in Bombay.
    Unit in Kensington.:eek:

5. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

Initial response from Lambeth here

You can use links on this page

to communicate your disgust to the Met, the MPA, and the so called "great and the good".

6. ats

ats Well-Known Member

Some more news reporting here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-2074570,00.html

We've put out a response from the lambeth4paddick campaign (which I guess will be up on the website, I dunno - ask the day shift).

But now's the time to really kick up shit.

This is not just an issue about police structures, or even about what happpens to Paddick himself. It's about whether the police respect the Lambeth community, whether Sir John Stevens keeps his promise to reinstate Paddick, and whether the community gets included in the decision-making.

What's happened tonight, with a decision that will have a major effect on our community just being slipped out at a time when we don't even really have a chance to get our point of view into the news stories, is like a throwbackto the kind of 'fuck you' hierarchical methods of decision making that caused the first Brixton riots.

Get onto the website,folks, (www.lambeth4paddick.com), and send messages that kick back. Tell your MPs, tell the press, tell Sir John Stevens.

Don't let them just slip it out without feeling they have to explain it to the community.

7. Wireman

Wireman Brixton Wannabe

So, they've got the most senior black policeman, the most senior Asian policeman and now the most senior gay policeman... all together in a room doing the same non-job.

Anyone sense a pattern emerging?

8. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

Indeed, wireman. The UK police, and the Met, have not been making great progress in this area and are due for some butt kicking. What better than to set up some of those uppity minorities to take the flak?

It will also be noted that DAC Mike Fuller, who is suggested as Paddick's line manager according to the reports, was one of the most disruptive elements around the cannabis trial with his talk of stoned kids in teh caribbean and of "middle class liberals" in Lambeth. Great team building.

Guardian Report

9. Wireman

Wireman Brixton Wannabe

Really? Useful info. Thanks.

10. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

Yeah, this is gutting. It just makes me feel that, once again, ordinary people don't count. When I feel this I just want to ignore the powers that be rather than engage with them. Not a helpful attitude to encourage amongst the people of Brixton.

I've posted a more detailed comment on the Lambeth4Paddick site which I'll copy here later.

11. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

This from the BBC on the 27th March this year -

By Dominic Casciani
    BBC News Online

The campaign to reinstate Brian Paddick to one of the toughest policing jobs in Britain has begun with hundreds attending a rally in the heart of south London.

If someone had said just five years ago that black, white, young and old, straight and gay, liberal and anarchist would all be standing together giving a standing ovation to a police commander in Brixton, people might have said they had smoked one spliff too many.

But there they were - the kind of cross-community gathering local politicians would give their right arm for - cheering Commander Brian Paddick, the officer who has shaken up the very concept of policing.

In one of his first - and now infamous - posts to a community action website in Lambeth, Brian Paddick said that he was mulling over a new strap line for police posters: "Don't damage my community".

Those who on Tuesday night at Lambeth Town Hall fired the first salvo in the campaign to reinstate him believe that his transfer to a desk job pending an investigation has done the greatest damage of all.

Community relations

Twenty years ago the Brixton riots marked one of the lowest ebbs in relations between London's police and the black community. Serious disturbances in 1995, deaths in custody and the handling of the Stephen Lawrence murder inquiry elsewhere had harmed the patient attempts at bridge-building.

Lee Jasper: Letter of support from Mayor

And then, in an extraordinarily short space of time, a new commander arrived and appeared to win the kind of support that so many before him have failed to attract.

While this may appear a local matter, the show of strength for Brian Paddick prompts serious questions about the direction of Policing in Britain's towns and cities.

Quite simply, how many other police officers could honestly expect to be enthusiastically applauded by 250 people from all walks of life?

Media focus

The media focus has been firmly on Lambeth police's softly-softly approach on cannabis and Paddick's position as Britain's most senior openly gay policeman.

Campaign: Up and running

But to his supporters last night, numbering some 250, Paddick's strength has been in his apparent ability to communicate and empathise with all manner of people.

Lee Jasper, the influential race adviser to London mayor Ken Livingstone, told the audience that he has been personally and pleasantly "shocked" at the steps Brian Paddick had taken to ensure that he was accessible and that police decisions were transparent.

Floating around the audience - which included a curate and a rabbi - were a number of camcorder-wielding alternative action activists, the kind usually seen filming the police for signs of mistreatment of protesters.

Ken Livingstone himself sent a letter of support laying the blame for Brian Paddick's predicament firmly with a homophobic press.

"There can be little could be that Brian Paddick would not be in the position he is in today if it was not for his sexuality," the mayor wrote. "Those who have waged a campaign against this officer are the real obstacles in the fight against crime [in Lambeth]."

Other speakers joined the fray. Kevin Boyle of the Lesbian and Gay Police Association described Paddick's treatment as a homophobic violation of his privacy. Particular ire on the panel was reserved for Sun columnist Richard Littlejohn.

"Commander Paddick has made a difference in policing in this community," said local clergyman, the Reverend Idelaw Bowman.

"Not only has he made a difference but he has also shown how this metropolis should be policed in the future." Thunderous applause followed.

Dissenters in the minority

Not everyone in the audience supported the "crackpot commander", as one headline has described him.

One woman said that Paddick had failed to investigate the treatment of her son by police. Another man said that Paddick had only shifted crime out of Brixton to elsewhere in the borough.

But when the commander himself made a surprise appearance and took to the stage, they were in minority. The hall stood in rapturous applause.

Paddick may have been portrayed as all sorts of things in the press, but with his cropped hair and grey suit he looked the model of modern policing.

A thank you to the audience, a quick pose for the photographers on the steps of the Town Hall, no comment to the media and he was off walking his old beat towards Brixton Underground station.

On his way he would have passed some of the campaign posters now appearing around Lambeth, run up by a local Green activist.

One of them is a satire on the famous scene from the Monty Python's Life of Brian.

"He's not a very naughty boy, he's the Messiah," it read.

:( :( :( :( :(

12. septic tank

septic tank the wanky Yankee

This is revolting, however predictable. Trust the Met brass to crawl inside their ninja turtle-shell suits and hide when faced with nothing more fearsome than the impotent wrath of a bigot Tory tabloid. Well, they're meek enough critters. We're talking brass buttons, here, not brass balls. I'll say it again: stick to your pickets, Brixton. It ain't over, yet. Keep the heat on and these stuffed suits'll melt like butter, leaving nothing but a mess of grease and gold-braided epaulettes in their wake.

13. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

I knew this would happen.

14. drfranni

drfranni Coldharbour Crone

Heard it on the news at 6.30am. What a way to start the day.

Gutting.

Well, walk with the Goddess, friends, because we have lost an important protector
    [​IMG]

15. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

yet again, lambeth gets screwed over

16. fanta

fanta Banned Banned

That is so exactly right editor!

Never underestimate the ability of the narrow-minded, sanctimonious and reactionary to get their way.

17. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

My reaction exactly

18. Stobart Stopper

I have an old 12" record. It was made just after the Brixton riots. It expresses the anger of the black kids/adults in the area at the time and it's quite incredible to hear the anger in the words.

I feel that removing the Commander will cause alot of damage to the relationship that the local people have with the police. Just as things were improving and a senior officer made the effort to get out, walk the beat and talk to them they take him away. I hear that Commander Paddick is very highly respected by the beat officers in Brixton as they know he cares about the community they work in. I would love to know what they make of this decision. This was a bloody witchhunt from the beginning and it's so unfair.

If you are reading this, Mr Paddick, at least you can hold your head up and say you tried your very best for Brixton. You have done nothing wrong. All you've tried to do is to be a normal, caring human being, listening where others turned a blind eye, understanding where others seemed to be at a loss as to what to do next.

You are the one who has come out on top. Ok, you might not be where you want to be but you have proved one thing- that 'equal opportunities' only apply to people who are willing to toe the line, saying "yes" to everything and never putting forward a sensible, rational opinion. Say what you think and they will find any way to stitch you up.

Good luck, boss. I really mean that. You are one of the best!

19. editor

editor hiraethified

Just got this predictably dull cut and paste response from my letter of complaint to the Commissioner' at @met.police.uk:

20. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

Everything I was going to say has already been said. It has been a stitch-up from day one and I feel very angry and sad about it. I will write to that slimeball Stevens. :mad:

As for Brian's new appointment, it just sounds like a Jim Davidson joke: ''Did you hear the one about the top black policeman, the top Asian policeman and the top gay policeman... ''

Brian, we are all gutted. :( :(

(PS: Hi Grubby, Hi Septic. It's the Brixton global village!)

21. editor

editor hiraethified

I've just done a live radio interview for the BBC London Jon Gaunt show which went alright - even if I was, worryingly, filmed in my room as I did the phone interview by a BBC London TV crew, filming a feature for the lunchtime news.

A Spandau Ballet put it so succinctly, "I don't need this pressure on....! " ;)

22. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

Too bloody right. ST, thanks for a totally blinding post. Completely seconded by me.

23. kea

kea Banned Banned

from our wire ...

CANNABIS ROW OFFICER `VICTIM OF CONTRIVED ALLEGATIONS'
    The police commander who pioneered the softly softly approach to cannabis is the victim of contrived allegations and must be returned to his job, his supporters declared today

'The Metropolitan Police had broken its word to the people of Lambeth, south London, by moving Brian Paddick, 43, Britain's highest-ranking openly gay policeman, to a less high-profile post', according to the Support Brian Paddick Campaign.

Scotland Yard's decision to move him to implement the National Intelligence Model, the force's recently developed blueprint for reducing crime, could also be a blow to police/community relations, the campaign said.

Mr Paddick is currently under investigation over allegations, made by a former boyfriend in a kiss-and-tell article, that he smoked cannabis.

The decision has angered his supporters as it pre-empts a Crown Prosecution Service announcement, expected within days, on whether Mr Paddick will face charges.

Brian Paddick is a respected police officer who has been the victim of contrived allegations, said a campaign spokesman.

Many members of this community do not trust the police further than they can throw them.

What are those of us who feel that it is worth working with the police to tell them now?

Mr Paddick was moved from his £93,000-a-year post after the allegations arose in March.

Campaigners fear his latest appointment indicates that he will not be able to return to south London if he is cleared of the allegations.

Scotland Yard said the decision was due to a restructuring programme affecting 22 commanders and 10 deputy assistant commissioners.

Metropolitan Police Authority chairman Lord Harris said Mr Paddick's career would have been disadvantaged if he had been 'artificially held' in Lambeth.

'The post he has been assigned is an extremely important one. It is a very serious role in Scotland Yard,' he said.

'It is part of an allocation that would have been made irrespective of the allegations against him. It does not pre-judge those allegations in one way or another.

The reality is that this has not about the allegations or the work he did in Lambeth. The people should not feel this implies any change of approach in tackling the crime issues'.

Mr Paddick, who was head of policing in Lambeth, will be moved to his new post once the inquiry is finished.

Under his cannabis scheme users were warned rather than arrested when they were caught with the drug.

The initiative caused concern among senior police officers, as did Mr Paddick's comments on a website where he expressed an attraction to the concept of anarchism.

[Weird glitches edited out by Editor, suitably miffed to find urban75 described as 'a website' ]

edited to add: sorry bout the glitches mike! something weird goes on when i transfer it from our system ....

and (this isn't really worth a whole new post of its own) why miffed bout u75 being described as 'a website'??? it's better than most of the descriptions i've seen journos use. would you prefer 'internet bulletin board'? 'community website'??? don't quite understand the problem .....

24. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

. BAH! And Toby Harris used to be a good egg. Power corrupts, eh? Or maybe peerage corrupts. :mad:

25. Stobart Stopper

Some time a go my husband came home and said " I keep hearing about the new Commander at Brixton, apparently the rumour is that he just goes out on the beat all the time on his own."

I was a bit surprised and just thought it was a bit of a joke, I'd never heard of anything like that before. OK, they do go out but it's not that often.

We heard that it was quite usual for Mr Paddick to just take off down to Brixton High Street on the spur of the moment, calling in to the shops, walking around the market, listening to people's concerns and just talking to everyone. I don't live in Brixton so I am not sure if this is true but it was a talking point among the junior ranks and they thought he was the bees knees.

Have you any idea what it does to the morale of a young, inexperienced probationer to see, coming the other way, his Commander, just doing exactly the same thing as he is? Walking the beat.

26. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

It's true, ST. One would often see Brian out and about, in a high-visibility jacket, on the high street, in the market, communicating. That yellow jacket meant you'd see him easily. No skulking about for him.

I am now fully prepared to engage in Civil Disobedience over this, and I'm not the only one.

27. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

Chain me up, baby!! :eek: :eek: :D

28. Saxon Rillet

Saxon Rillet Banned Banned

SOUTH London exploded in outrage this week when it emerged that a man who has been masquerading as a cop for 20 years will not retain his job as a Met commander.
    Brian Paddick, who possesses no policeman-like qualities, was last seen on an Internet site extolling the virtues of anarchy.
    But a source close to the gay pseudo-cop said: "Everyone around Brixton is very upset.
    "It is entirely inappropriate for his bosses in the police not to give him his job back even though he may have smoked illegal drugs and was going out with a man who was on bail for fraud.
    "Some of these police officers do very nasty things like arrest people, put them in vans and take them to prison - or try to uphold the law.
    "Of course Bri's not like that. Hail Brian."

29. editor

editor hiraethified

ITV London has run a story that Paddick's going to quit the force if he fails to get back to Lambeth, with the report directly quoting from a private email 'sent to his support campaign'.

So who leaked that, then?

And Saxon: haven't you learnt that if you've got nothing intelligent to say on a subject you know nothing about, the best advice is to shut the fuck up?

30. Stobart Stopper

It never ends.......

When will they leave him alone?

What is all this bollocks about the 'private email' if it was private what is it doing on the news?

(He can't leave anyway, he will lose too much of his pension!!!!!!)

If he does leave then I understand why. It's about what's right and what's wrong. It will be their loss, a big loss if you ask me.
    People with communications skills like the Commander has are very thin on the ground in the Met, in the senior ranks anyway.