1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No borders in the NHS. Bristol meeting.

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by BristolTechno, Oct 25, 2017.

1. BristolTechno

BristolTechno Member

Hi Everyone,

The Bristol Care workers network have a arranged an open meeting at Hydra bookshop on Sunday to organise resistance to immigration checks through NHS services. I originally posted this on the Bristol section but was advised to post it here too.

Event page here:

2. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

I'd be really interested to read a report of the meeting if possible, thanks!

3. BristolTechno

BristolTechno Member

If there is one I will post it here too. :)

4. LynnDoyleCooper

5. BristolTechno

BristolTechno Member

It was a good meeting, and we are going to meet monthly as a working group. We have another BCWN members meeting this week so will discuss what information we will share publicly. I should have more to share by next week. :)

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  6. LynnDoyleCooper

Thanks. Have chatted to some of the SolFed people as well. There's some of us here that might be working on it, albeit in a slightly different capacity.

Look forward to hearing more.

BristolTechno likes this.
  7. BristolTechno

BristolTechno Member

The next open meeting is booked for the end of the month. The working group agreed to meet monthly. We are still in the process of information gathering at the moment on how things will be implemented, and then we can form a better picture on how to resist. We've not compiled a report yet, but once we have we'll look at putting it out there.

Which SolFed group are you a member of? We have several members that are also involved with the Bristol SolFed group.

8. nardy

nardy Active Member

Some sick people overseas can't afford travel to the UK. Therefore I suggest a campaign for the government pay those expenses, perhaps through the foreign aid budget.

9. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

the NHS isn't going to let people die in the streets But it can't afford to be seen as a freebie for everyone who can get to the UK.
    How NHS health tourism is costing us billions: a surgeon’s story | The Spectator is one view
    Rules allowing upfront charges for foreign users of NHS come into force this is another.

not sure anyone knows the actual figure the actual idea of charging people who are not eligible is perfectly reasonable its what happens everywhere else getting it right is going to be tricky.

10. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

nardy was simply exposing lefty idiocy apparently - the twat. Think it's best he keeps off this thread/people ignore.

likesfish likes this.
  11. LynnDoyleCooper

I'm not in SolFed, there isn't a group where I live. Just chatted to some of them about this at the Bookfair.

12. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music Enforced Holiday

Not to feed the troll, but the reality of the matter is that the NHS is wasting money on the introduction of charging for some of the most vulnerable people in our society. So, the NHS is worse off because of the administrative costs of trying to squeeze money out of people who haven't got anything... Ideological bullshit and the thin end of the wedge that will be used to try and introduce charges for the rest of us in the future.

13. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Yes, my midwife friend reckons that in maternity - where no services (antenatal, birth, and post-natal care) will be refused if the patient cannot pay anyway, but some people will now be asked to pay for care, and immigration checks will happen, the admin will cost more than is brought in, but also many women who either don't know their rights or are wary of immigration checks are:

- just going to skip pre-natal appointments, and turn up at a&e or maternity centres for the birth or when a problem occurs, so problems aren't going to be caught at an early stage, birth plans aren't going to be made, etc

- or are going to try and skip all maternity care (including birth care) - unless an emergency happens

- and/or miss post-natal check-ups

and so lots of issues which could be dealt with routinely will now not be seen until they become emergencies - so will cost the NHS lots more money as well as risking the lives of women and babies, and in some cases risking the spread of disease. It seriously doesn't make sense even from a right-wing perspective except as just straight up harrasment of migrants and a gradual easing in of charges for everyone.

nogojones likes this.
  14. nardy

nardy Active Member

The easier you make access to services, the more takers you attract, thus the greater the overall cost.

Those entitled to NHS care can already receive it. FFS, is the UK responsible for the care of the whole world?

(Lefty answer: yes of course -- it's payback for colonialism.)

(Righty answer: the current generation isn't responsible for the actions of their forepersons.)

And so it goes on. Which is why I rarely post.

Quick aside: if you saw tonight's TV prog about Scientology, you'll know why, having formed an opinion, you'll be unlikely to change. Which (again) is why I rarely post.

15. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Did you read my post - they are doing these id checks and giving people a bill even for services which if people say "sorry can't pay" they'll give for free anyway (because they are seen as such important services for actually preventing emergencies (which cost more to deal with), saving lives, and stopping the spread of disease). Many people who work in the NHS think that between the admin costs and more cases becoming emergencies as people stop accessing routine care this policy will cost the NHS more money than it will save.

Also, this will delay treatment for many people who are fully entitled to NHS care, as a significant minority of British people do not have a passport, or driving licence, or other id.

And there is a public health issue if some UK residents cannot access or are scared off from accessing health services - as infectious diseases (such as TB) might not be diagnosed.

16. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I think you've answered your own question

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Please post even more rarely.

18. Libertad

Libertad Squeako

For which I am thankful.

19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

are there any organisations campaigning against the internal nhs borders, dividing england from wales and scotland?