Nikon finally goes mirrorless with the Nikon Z 7 /Z 6 full frame cameras

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Aug 23, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here it is. It's not pretty, is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nikon Z 7 First Impressions Review

craigxcraig likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Early video:

It really is not an attractive camera

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Nikon obsessives who will buy it so that they can continue to own the latest Nikon there is.

Being a budget photographer it will be out of my league for at least 3 generations of models.

Would like to know if the lens adapter permits AF-D lenses to AF.

6. weltweit

It looks like AFS and G, F mount lenses will AF and AE - but older AF and AFD screw drive lenses will just AE but not AF.

Which suggests that there could be some seriously good AF & AFD F mount lenses available at reduced prices in the mid term, who knows in a couple or more years the D850 could be showing up on the used market at budget prices also :)

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I’m suspicious of using older lenses with adaptors, and that’s a shitty lens lineup for a launch - seriously, a (huge) 35/1.8 for $850? An f4 24-70? A $600 50/1.8??? I also hear some bad things about the focussing, and video people don’t seem that impressed, not that I know anything about that.

It’s not really for me anyway. It’s a big begging letter to existing Nikon photographers, “pleeeeeease don’t move to Sony or Fuji, look we made you a mirrorless that you can use your lenses with”. Only you can sell lenses quite easily - loads of people seem quite happy to do that if they’re going down the road of selling their body anyway, which they’d do if they were getting this.

I’m actually more likely to get a D850 which will remain a beast of a camera for many years down the line. I won’t, but I’d consider it a better use of my money.

8. weltweit

Well they are going to have to build up a Z mount lens range for these cameras, I did hear somewhere that they published a road map but I haven't seen it.

9. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Here's the lens roadmap:

[​IMG]

weltweit likes this.
  10. weltweit

On dpreview quite a few Nikon owners are bleating that there is only one card slot in both Z6 and Z7.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That seems a bit of a schoolboy error for a camera looking to rival Sony's.

12. weltweit

I think their development time was so long that initially they were building a camera to compete with the then Sony units which initially only had 1 slot I believe. During their development Sony produced new cameras but Nikon would have been unable to respond without pushing their delivery date too far into the future. It is hard to respond to a competitor who is making continuous and incremental improvements, which Sony seems to have been doing.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But loads of high end cameras now have two SD slots. Even the new Olympus m43 cameras have them too. If you're coming late to market you have to at least match the competition!

gawkrodger likes this.
  14. weltweit

My Fuji S2 from 14 - 16 years ago has 2 slots, (not 2 SD though) my D800 has 2 slots also. I have no idea the logic for the 2 Z cameras. They do look good but are far too expensive for me. I am more likely in a few years to buy a used D810 or D850 when the shine comes off them a bit more and in the meantime I am hoping some very nice F mount screw drive lenses will start getting a lot more affordable.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  15. FridgeMagnet

IMO the “two card slots” thing comes under the category of “for marketing purposes it might be a good idea to play along with this superstition but that’s it”. I’d be more concerned that it only uses XQD cards.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Much chatness:

weltweit likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh I don't know. My SD card has unexpectedly filled up in all sorts of annoying circumstances so it would be ruddy great top have a back up in the camera.

18. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I'd be more worried about the relatively short battery life - with all of these types of camera, not just Nikon.

19. weltweit

I have seen a review site rated the Z7 at only 330 shots, or something like that, but hands on reviewers are saying they are getting much much more than that. Carrying a spare battery might have to be the order of the day.

20. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I’ve been out of the loop as such with regards to photography in recent years. So, genuine question - what’s the point of these over an SLR? Seems to be not a great deal smaller, shit battery life and electronic viewfinders, which surely suck balls?

What have I missed?

21. weltweit

With an EVF you can see your exposure (+ zebras and histograms etc) before you take your picture, so you can get it right every time. And, because there is no mirror, you can get faster burst rates. Then the lens mount on the Z series is much larger which people say means potentially lenses with much better optics. And video performance is much improved, something Nikon didn't really do well with its noisy focusing F mount lenses. I think that is about it, what do you think RoyReed, editor ?

22. FridgeMagnet

The point of these is to stop people moving to Sony and Fuji :D

EVFs have got much better over the years and will only get improve in quality. They can also do a lot of clever shit that's impossible with an OVF, like focus peaking and MF zoom assist, which makes manual focus way easier. As weltweit says it's easier to get high burst speeds and they're easier to use with adaptors for other systems. Obviously you also cut out the weight of the mirror box with mirrorless, which makes more of a difference the larger your sensor, though if you're also sticking a big honking lens on the front it's still not exactly compact. (I bought into mirrorless systems with micro four thirds because they are way smaller and more manageable than DSLRs for street and protest photography, but part of the reason is that the sensors are also smaller and thus so are the lenses.)

The battery life thing is really dependent on how you use the camera. If you're constantly using live view that sucks up lots of power, but I rarely do, and I get a lot more life out of the batteries than the rated figures. They're still not as good as a DSLR but I've still never needed to change batteries on either unless I forgot to charge one before leaving.

Mirrorless is the way it's all going to go eventually anyway. It eliminates a whole section of the technology needed.

gawkrodger and weltweit like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why the hell has Nikon chosen to use XQD cards over the cheap, fast and easily available SD cards?

24. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

If there's an option to write the image to both cards at the same time, I think it's a great idea. You can't beat a bit of redundancy.

editor likes this.