1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night shot including milky way. Any tricks?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Jun 24, 2017.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I have no doubt raw is the way to go for night time shots where I am likely to want to bring back detail from dark areas but I am not impressed by my camera's raw files.

I usually shoot 6mpx jpeg fine which was, way back, recommended as the best compromise for my camera. I just experimented with 12mpx .raf raw files and I don't like them much. There seems all sorts of sensor noise in the out of focus backgrounds. Oh well...

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a lot more complicated than just sticking the camera on a tripod.

3. weltweit

I am playing around with my camera's raw files. I usually get 52, 6mpx jpegs per 256mb Smart Media card. 12mpx raws are 13mb each, so I only get 9 per card. I have 4 cards though so that should be enough for one nights worth of images.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why are you using such small capacity cards? Big capacity cards are as cheap as chips now (check out 7dayshop.com)

5. weltweit

TBF I forget what format my second card slot is. I have been using 256mb Smart Media cards since I got the camera. I will try and find out what format the other slot is.

editor likes this.
  6. weltweit

The second slot is for a Microdrive. :(

7. weltweit

Actually I was wrong, my SmartMedia cards are 128mb and that is the largest they ever made.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Curse those obsolete formats!

weltweit likes this.
  9. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

You need a new camera ;)

Seriously, high ISO/low noise/noise reduction has come so far even in the last few years that a camera from 2002 is going to leave you on the back foot from the start. If budget's an issue try MPB for used stuff.

weltweit and editor like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Definitely. Despite the smaller sensor, the low light performance from my OM-D completely blew away my Nikon D300.

11. mauvais

Even the D300 (still my camera) is passable at sky shots once processed, and costs about £200 used now. I was going to say it'll depend on what he wants to do with lenses but the old Fuji stuff is Nikon fit, right?

12. mauvais

Also you can apparently put a 2GB CompactFlash card in an S2.

13. weltweit

mauvais & editor I am at the moment saving my pennies for a new camera, well it will be a used one. Currently I am considering a 24mpx Nikon D610 or a 36mpx Nikon D800. Image files will be massive though so I will probably need also to upgrade my computer shortly afterwards. But either one of those should monster milky way pictures :)

mauvais likes this.
  14. weltweit

Aha, I think I heard something like that, are you sure?

15. mauvais

No, but that's what a quick Google suggested. The 'Microdrive' slot is certainly physically compatible with CF cards.

weltweit likes this.
  16. weltweit

Yes my S2 Fuji is Nikon F-mount and I have 5 F-mount FX format lenses which I am hoping will still look good on my next camera.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. weltweit

My S2 is fairly clean where there is some light: (this was a jpeg)
    DSCF5910a.jpg

18. weltweit

But it is fairly noisy in the dark:
    DSCF1189w.jpg

A section of that:
    DSCF1189w1.jpg

19. weltweit

I today got a 2gb CF II card which boosts my options quite a bit. 2gb equates to 153 raws or 832 2.4mb 6mpx jpegs. Now I just have to find a CF card reader.

mauvais likes this.
  20. weltweit

On the new (to me) camera front, it seems Nikon may announce a replacement to the D810, in July, which could do interesting things to used prices of various models. I think I am going to hold my horses at least until then.

21. weltweit

I got my card reader today so shot some pictures, I shot 12 mpx raw and 6mpx jpeg at ISO400, resized them to 900x600px and applied the same sharpening. Cant tell which is which. :(

eta, that probably isn't the best way to compare them. I will have a think.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  22. weltweit

I am seeing milky way photographs almost every visit to the internet these days, and quite a lot are very good. Didn't realise it was so common as a subject.

eta: and Nikon USA has just announced the D850 with a video of a couple of photographers out at night with the new camera taking pictures of the milky way.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017