New York, just like I pictured it

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by sovietpop, Aug 16, 2005.

1. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The J/M/Z train goes over the bridge - and its a superb ride ! (real cranks wil know (a) its the old BMT line - Brooklyn Manhattan Transit (b) its the location of the chase scence in the "Naked City" - one of the best post war "real location" films ever made.

I havent been since 1999 - but the bus ride up the West side (the M104) is great as it takes you through Harlem to the Cloisters. Interesting ride and a good attraction at the end.Get the famed "A" train back for the quickest ride on the subway (non stop form 125th to 59th down "homeball alley")....

The walk back from Brooklyn Heights to Manhattan over the bridge is good - subway to Court St or Clark Street . Nice area - epic views on the way back.

Lower East side changing fast - but the tenement house musuem is well worth an hourn or two for a feel as to how people worked and lived in NYC.

2. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Just looked at the map - its the M4 bus - right through to the end of the route - walk back through the park (nice views over the Hudson river) and get the subway from 191st Street. ......

3. inflatable jesus

inflatable jesus I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I really wouldn't fancy cycling in the city, although I've never tried so I guess my opinion shouldn't really count for much. I mean, I know loads of people do it every day, but it seems pretty dangerous considering how the taxis and guys in SUVs tend to drive.

Brooklyn seems a bit more suited to that sort of thing though.

4. sovietpop

sovietpop don't shoot me

what about gigs? is there a Time Out New York, or a magazine or web-page that lists what is going on in the city? a

(started packing today)

5. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

There is a Time Out New York, and there are also two free papers that have listings: the New York Press and the Village Voice.

6. sovietpop

sovietpop don't shoot me

Ta, just found the Village Voice web page, and it looks pretty good.

7. DialT0ne

DialT0ne New Member

Go to the clubs!!!

8. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

Which ones?