New Technics SL-1200 MK7 comes with reported price tag of £899

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jan 9, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

All the venues I play at have turntables that are regularly used.

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I think (as someone mentioned earlier) it mainly comes down to the sort of nights and age of the DJ’s :D

3. editor

Then you'd be wrong. Many of the DJs in those clubs are in their 20s and 30s.

4. beesonthewhatnow

5. editor

It's really not just a 'London thing.' There's loads of people under 40 who prefer to DJ on vinyl.

6. beesonthewhatnow

Well, they’re not in any of the venues I’m working in...

7. editor

I'm sure they're not but that doesn't mean that people under 40 aren't still DJing on vinyl, does it?

8. beesonthewhatnow

There will be always be some of course, but I’d wager they’re gonna be a pretty small minority.

9. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

theres a shitload of places, in London especially, marketing 'vinyl only' as one of the main selling points... normally as part of an experience, brunch and an vintage artisan hifi from Audio Gold normally feature as well.

ska invita likes this.
  10. editor

So you keep saying. But my experience - and my eyes! - tells me differently. As pesh says, there's plenty of venues promoting 'vinyl only' nights and I write about loads of them every month.

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

In Leeds, any bar that's not a cheese fest dive/meat market has turntables.

pesh and editor like this.
  12. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

I like this analogy.

It also fits in with my consideration that, though e-cigs are a faf and a learning curve, they are actually simpler to use than ordinary cigarette (compared to rolling your own at least). With a charged e-cig you just turn it on and press a button. To roll a fag you need at least two separate materials (three if you use roach/ filter), you need to make the thing, etc.

So yeah. Analogue - tangible, easily serviceable, unlikely to go wrong, more of a ritual.
    Digital - less tangible, less easily serviceable, more likely to go wrong? Well, more likely to be more of a pain in the arse when it does go wrong. ...

editor and Fez909 like this.
  13. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50