New Technics SL-1200 MK7 comes with reported price tag of £899

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jan 9, 2019.

1. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Only if they can hear the difference between the CD audio and a 320kbs MP3. I use FLAC for local storage and playback but convert them to MP3 for playing on my phone.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Most people won't be able to tell.

skyscraper101 and fishfinger like this.
  3. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

is definitely the best of both worlds, I went to a demo in November , the haptic / spinning platters really do feel like you're using vinyl, although being well over 40 , im actually tempted but then again id love a pair of the mk7s

skyscraper101 likes this.
  4. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

It really is just bollocks about vinyl being 'more tactile' or whatever. We just prefer vinyl 'cause that's what we learned with, so that's what's most comfortable.

5. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

partly but I dont think its just that - ive used controllers quite a lot now and its just more fun on a vinyl deck...id compare it to an old sports car vs a modern fiat 500 or something...more thrills and spills..in the grand scheme of things thats a pretty minor difference though. "User interfaces" or ergnomics or whatever is a big part of any product design though, and using a deck feels a lot less like pressing buttons or using a computer.

Id like a set of CDJs tbh, but im not prepared to spend a penny to get them. CDJs are a bit chunkier than a lot of the all in one controllers which feel a bit fidly and small to me.

on this 1st world topic i like a crossfader to have a lot of resistance - seems all mixers and controllers make them super loose these days

Fez909 likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Even more unlikely in a noisy club full of people chattering.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

No, I prefer vinyl because I like to be hands on with the record...or "tacticle" if that's how we're describing it.

I'm not anti-digital. Have done plenty of MP3 mixes with controllers and have owned Traktor Scratch for years. Vinyl is just more fun...even though it's more limited, more expensive, and harder.

Apply your "bollocks" statement to other things with digital vs analogue mediums and see how your argument holds up (it doesn't).

8. killer b

I've used controllers plenty too, and it feels like I prefer decks for similar reasons you outline - I'm not sure how much of that is real though. I don't think we're really conscious about a lot of our reasons we prefer things.

Not that it really matters. A DJ needs to be comfortable with their tools, so go with whatever you're most comfortable with anyway.

9. killer b

what did you learn to DJ with?

10. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

No way.

11. Enviro

It is more tactile because the music is there. You can see it. You can place the needle down where you can see the break down, or whatever. When you move the record the effect is reproduced instantly. With controllers, etc. there will be a tiny delay, no matter how small, where the digital system is sensing your input and then modifying the output accordingly.

Fez909 likes this.
  12. killer b

what did you learn to DJ with?

13. Enviro

Vinyl, of course ;) I don't really mix much at all anymore, and have very limited experience of playing out, and no experience of using the latest controllers, but is any of what I said wrong?

editor and Fez909 like this.
  14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

sorry guys this is what modern djing is:

15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

You know it was vinyl but that doesn't prove your point.

16. ska invita

I learned to write with a pencil yet I can tell which I prefer out of a biro, Sharpie, fountain pen and a keyboard. I prefer a pencil. Damn :facepalm:
    (Not really)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  17. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

you could say the mixer is doing the same in a vinyl setup, most of them are digital now and all will be adding some latency.
    i've spent 20 years failing to learn to mix properly on vinyl, i was beatmixing competently, without headphones, in an afternoon with Serato. it has taken some of the skill required out of it...

18. killer b

How did I know?

19. ska invita

because anyone our age thats what youd have learned on? other stuff hadnt been invented yet.
    whats your favourite writing implement?

(this is fun :))

Fez909 likes this.
  20. killer b

I'm not a writer, but writers I know often prefer a fountain pen. They write their books on a computer though.

21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Maybe this is what I/others find makes it more fun? Easy is boring.

pesh likes this.
  22. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Also, having digital vs vinyl arguments in 2019.

:facepalm: @ all of us

ruffneck23 likes this.
  23. killer b

I'm not vs. vinyl - I much prefer to use it myself. I just think the reasons we prefer it are more to do with sentiment than anything else.

24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Sentiment plays a part, sure. But for me, it's definitely not that.

And it's definitely not the audio quality as I mentioned above, though lots of people use that argument when really having vinyl vs digital discussions.

I love the simplicity of it. It reminds me of e-cigs in that way (no, wait..hear me out! :D )

I quit smoking years ago and have been on e-cigs since. e-cigs are great. A big improvement on cigarettes in lots of ways: healthier, smell better, cheaper, more socially acceptible, etc., etc. But, they're a fucking pain.

You have to learn about ohms, and power draw and batteries and coil types and the make up of the juice you're smoking, whether VG/PG ratio or the nicotine content. And you can break them. Very easily. And they might just stop working.

Compared to an actual cigarette (or some baccy), you just need your cig and a flame. That's it. It might go wrong if your cig's wet, or your lighter is out of gas or lost, but that's easily fixable by going to any corner shop.

Cigs 'just work'.

That's how I feel about vinyl vs digital.

25. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

you are right. compared to vinyl, mp3s are definitely the healthier option.

Enviro and Fez909 like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Load of gigs we list on Brixton Buzz list make a point of saying that the DJs are 'vinyl only.' There's still plenty of people, young and old, who prefer to play vinyl.

27. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

i know a lot of bars where turn tables are standard. cdjs etc must be brought by the dj.

editor likes this.
  28. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

I like using vinyl... as with a deck, I only have the start/stop button and the pitch control to worry about. look at these controllers, some have more buttons and knobs than the dashboard of a spacecraft.

editor likes this.
  29. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

this is the (very near) future anyhow chaps.

skip to 1.40

30. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

And yet at the venue I look after the Technics are gathering dust in a cupboard. I honestly can’t remember the last time they were used, it’s at least 18 months ago.

For bigger “name” DJ’s/horrible arena style raves etc I haven’t seen anything other than the standard networked 4 x CDJ2000 setup in a couple of years.