New single from The Specials aired today

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Nanker Phelge, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's been a long time coming (after reforming in 2009), but the Specials have dropped a new single which harks back to the sound Dammers was progressing through More Specials and In The Studio....

I've had a few listens and quite like it....I think the lyrics are over-simple, and the tune owes a lot to Ghost Town and Racist Friend (which is interesting given Terry Hall's resistance to those songs at the time....), but I can see this working well live.

New album due Feb 2019....

...any thoughts?

badseed, Yossarian and Riklet like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Meh.

3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Meh indeed. Lasted to 3:17 but only because I had something better to do.

4. S☼I

S☼I Are they supposed to be as sick as you and me?

I like the sound but the song is dull. Where's the tension, the drama? Where's the chorus?

editor likes this.
  5. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

obvious point, but really needs Halls voice, or its just decent ska-ish reggae

6. I really like it. I’ll give the album a whirl.

7. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Probably the best you could hope for 30 years after the event. Too long though. I wonder, does it get any better after 2.58?

8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It has Hall's voice...

9. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

That was a lot better than I was expecting, it would not have been totally out of place on More Specials, looking forward to hearing the album.

Could have used some Rhoda Dakar though...

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  10. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Any ska revival is ok with me.

11. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Saw them earlier last year in London just north of Covent Garden in a small club where the had their early public airing before a tour and release of new stuff, to iron out stage rust etc, and sounded good in there, and great when they played the older songs. :)

12. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

It's ...fine.
    not exciting, but not embarrasing either

13. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

The title alone is crushingly embarrassing. I honestly can't get past it.

S☼I likes this.
  14. ouchmonkey

there is that.

I think I've just ignored it

15. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I don't hate it. Which as it's from a bunch of has beens is a good sign. Ultimately it must be aimed at a new ordinance as i have plenty of this style of music to play when in the mood.

16. Voley

Voley Ramoner

I like the Ghost Town-y bit in the middle. That's about it though; it doesn't do a lot for me really. You'd hit skip if this was on the first two albums.

17. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

:D I think of all the comments on here, that might sting the most to a musician.

ouchmonkey and AverageJoe like this.
  18. ouchmonkey

It's getting a great deal more attention than their contemporaries efforts don't you think?
    Both Roger and Dave's versions of The Beat have put out new material lately, which again is "not as great as they once were but not bad actually" and no one appears to give a toss.
    Madness are touring again, in full panto mode I guess but - The Liberty Of Norton Folgate is surely the absolute gold standard as far as this bunch of bands making a decent late period, comeback record goes

19. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

I like the piano intro, owes more to Norton Forgate-era madness than classic two tone maybe.

How many of the original specials are on this? John Bradbury's brown bread, Neville's off touring with his own band, dunno about the rest.

20. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Do Nothing is one of the most important songs of my life. Ghost Town was the West Midlands I grew up in.

I prefer to remember the band as seminal, massively important and able to articulate what was happening. So, I can't listen to this :(

21. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Dammers wants nothing to do with it.

22. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

23. copliker

copliker ...