1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New records - what have you just bagged?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fez909, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Spandex, Ground Elder and sealion like this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The 12" mix is ACE

sealion and hipipol like this.
  3. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Got delivered today, 25 years since me original was Borrowed/rob
    sealion likes this.
  4. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Have been buying some vintage Acid

and some new acid.

an acid remix of this one. (Justin Cudmore remix) Cant find it the mix on You Tube.

Fez909 and sealion like this.
  5. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

And a great old vintage UK Hip Hop tune....

ddraig, Fez909, sealion and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Paid £17 for mine - was planning to wait round for a cheaper copy, but ebay fever struck :D

Mrs Elder has just told me that she's meeting a strange man in a Barcelona bar next week, who has a copy of this to sell :hmm:
    Fez909 and Spandex like this.
  7. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

8. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Both tracks are on the Ray Baretto album Acid, which got a quality reissue last year and is still easily available for new album price.

You should buy that, as it's one of the best albums released in the 60s :cool:
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I do, but it's one of those tunes that's always in the "buy...at some point" list. Other stuff always takes priority..And this month I've already defo overspent, so it stays in that list for the forseeable :)
  10. Ground Elder

I know, but I only buy original vinyl.
    Spandex likes this.
  11. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Tesox posted above was available on the original (1989) for £40+. Reissue on a B-side about ten years later (late 1990s) was only £10. ... no brainer, buy it on the lesser price. The people who you play it to aren't going to care two tiddlesworth about the autencencicity of the original vinyl. They might even be mildly inebriated on drink and drugs when they hear from your hi fi speakers.
    sealion likes this.
  12. Ground Elder

The people we play to care very much about the authenticity of the records. It is a cardinal sin to play anything other the 1st release. Rare soul/northern/r&b scene is about collecting and has rules that make no sense to the outside world :D
    toblerone3 likes this.
  13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Drunk discogs...soooo dangerous! Luckily I did alright last night. Woke up to this order:

Weird acid housey thing sampling Pet Shop Boys

Lovely deep house from Mike Huckaby

Bleepy oldskool shit

Money saved by not going out...spent on records getting pissed at home. Not sure if this is economically viable or not. I might need to start going out more to save money :D
    pocketscience and Ground Elder like this.
  14. Ground Elder

I recognise the ' stayed in, saved x, so therefore is ok to spend y' formula :rolleyes:

I've been out and about since Friday week -

Birmingham - wife playing tunes, other dj put on a manic version of Fever, (slowed down here, for the benefit of the Belgiums). Perhaps a little rash, but back in b&b and on Discogs, the inevitable happened.

Bristol - Hurrah! A cheap copy of Les Mccann Plays the Hits. A friend gave me a cd with Sad Little Girl on it a few months ago and I've craved it since. Trawled the charity shops of Clifton, Gloucester Road, Cotham and Park Street. Little doing, other than Billy Fury and Clarence Frogmouth Brown compilations and a pile of random singles. The only one I can remember at the moment being John Barry's James Bond Theme.

Cheltenham - It would be much easier to do this if I had the record boxes in the room with me, rather than relying on memory. In Cheltenham I bought somethings, but can't recall what. I do remember they were from various charity shops and not from the record shop Googlemaps held our hands to.

Swansea - sorry William of Walworth, but Swansea left much to be desired :D Arrived, ignorant of the earthquake, but keen to see the sights. Dismal and depressing town centre shopping, until - mood thoroughly dampened - we found a final charity shop as we returned to the car. "Everything half price!" exclaimed the shop assistant repeatedly and then undermined her pitch by adding "and from Wednesday everything will be a pound!"

Ray Barratto - Carnaval - 70s double album reissue of 1960 & 61 LPs - £1
    Talkin' Loud 2 - as I type this I'm thinking that I might already have a copy and didn't much care for it the first time round :facepalm:, but, still a bargain is a bargain.
    A Mose Allison compilation for a quid and a random Brazilian 1970s LP, that might turn out to be dreadful, but again a pound.
    Betty Wright - Where Is the Love - not at all rare, but still made my day :cool: A Sister Sledge single, the title of which eludes me, but it had caused my wife to Shazam while in a Barcelona cafe earlier in the week, so that one made her day. 25p each. Haven't paid 25 pence for a record for ages :thumbs:

Eastbourne and maybe Hastings tomorrow...
    Fez909 likes this.
  15. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

They put my selection I played in the record store up, but unfortunately I forgot to give them a name, so theyve used my real name, so won't share publicly.

If anyone wants to listen to 3 hours of me playing my reggae and dub vinyl, give me a shout and I'll ping it through
  16. stethoscope

stethoscope without the technical flim flam

Finally treated myself to a copy of this: Various - Equinox Chapter One

Mainly because I wanted the UR tune on vinyl (only had it on a UR compilation), but actually it turns out the other 4 tracks are pretty damn decent.
    Fez909 likes this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Abacus single-sided 12" - pricey for one tune, but it's fucking gorgeous

Jared Wilson - I Love Acid 17

V/A - French Disco Boogie Sounds Vol 3

ddraig likes this.
  18. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Recently found (for 20p) an LP of Erik Satie's piano music, and in the same shop (for the same price) a random old LP of some of Louis Armstrong's earliest recordings.

Just the other day I came across a 1957 LP of an Elgar violin concerto featuring a young Yehudi Menuhin and conducted by Elgar himself. Recorded in 1932 so dynamic response isn't what it might be today .. but then Elgar can't conduct his own music today, so swings and roundabouts.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Ground Elder likes this.