New low for John Lydon

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by DrRingDing, Apr 11, 2013.

1. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-calls-respect-dead.html?ICO=most_read_module

Badgers likes this.
  2. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

This is what he does.

geminisnake likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

TopCat, Badgers and youngian like this.
  4. MillwallShoes

MillwallShoes Don't kill the Lion

if someone is evil in life, is it not sad that they ended up that way? therefore a life turned evil, as in thatcher's case, is a human tragedy., not a reason to celebrate?

5. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

You're right. I think, though, that sometimes people need to get angry about it. Because while it's sad, it's also angering because people choose to be cunts. You are a product of your environment, but that doesn't absolve you from responsibility of your actions. Sometimes anger at one individual person can be an outlet for anger at a wider system of things that encourages it and allows it to happen. It's harder to blame precisely what in the system or in society or in culture is responsible, obviously because it's a complex mix of things - but it's easy to channel that anger directly at the person who is being a cunt.

Dillinger4 likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

tell that to the prime minister

Badgers likes this.
  7. MillwallShoes

MillwallShoes Don't kill the Lion

like the people outside executions in America? cheering? how are they different? i know the scale of some sorry murderer is far different to the devestation that thatcher caused, but the logic is still the same, no?

8. Vintage Paw

If this is all about Thatcher: just take a moment to think of precisely what she did. She presided over a set of actions and an era that stripped people of their dignity and agency. What has followed has been a steady torrent of policies that have continued that. People are broken. Your sentiment is sound, but it misses the nuance and reality of the situation. We do not live in an ideal world. It would be very lovely if we could all turn the other cheek and say, "isn't it a shame she turned out the way she did, I feel sorry for her" but we would be being grossly blind to the consequences of her actions and her reasons for doing what she did. You are trying to simplify a terribly complex issue, but I'm afraid that type of simplistic thinking isn't useful in our world. Everything is made up from a series of incredibly complex intertwined events and pieces, and cannot be reduced down in that way.

9. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

The misogyny is much more important as a factor in deciding whether to buy his records and butter than the Thatcher stuff. Based on the quote above, it's illegal downloads and Lurpak all the way. What a wanker.

SpookyFrank and Vintage Paw like this.
  10. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Rotten not dancing on Thatcher's grave is much the same as John Lennon singing 'imagine no possessions'. :D

lizzieloo, tufty79, sojourner and 2 others like this.
  11. Kidda

Kidda Z is for stripey oss

Am i right in thinking that most of those people won't be directly impacted by the actions of the person getting executed though?

I think the people who were celebrating the death of Thatcher were celebrating the end of something really destructive, not the person but her ideas and her actions. Actions that impact many many people and continue to do so. No one is celebrating the death of a greengrocers daughter, they are celebrating the end of the cause of Thatcherism. I can't wait to dance on Thatcherism's grave, though with this shower in government the champagne is still firmly on ice.

sojourner and Greebo like this.
  12. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

If you cant let go of hatred, you become poisoned by it
    Though I am loathe to say it, perhaps Johnny boy is approaching a smidgeon of wisdom

gentlegreen likes this.
  13. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I was celebrating the death of thatcher the person. I was celebrating the death of a greengrocers daughter

14. Vintage Paw

That's very simplistic. Hatred in this case is fuelled in the most part by a critical understanding of what she did and the consequences of that. Hatred expressed against her is evidence of just how impotent people feel as a result of what she brought about. People have nothing else but their hatred. It's no surprise that when you strip people of their political agency and crush their will for decades, this is all they have left. It isn't something to sneer at people over, or for them to feel ashamed of. It is perfectly natural that there be so much hate for her and the politics she espoused. It's perfectly natural that even though more hatred should be directed at the policies, it will be directed at those who enact them, because of course policies can't stand on their own, they require human action to exist.

If we let go of all our hatred, we stop questioning, we stop being critical, and we start just accepting what happens. There are some things in life where turning the other cheek can be counter-productive.

I'm hopeful that the outpouring of hatred against her may help keep the hatred for the policies alive and maybe reignite the fire under some people to want to keep fighting. Because it's very hard to keep fighting. Sometimes you need something to help you along.

15. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Yes, public sexism, boorishness and general contempt is a sign of great wisdom in many cultures.

And def not just an old drama queen annoyed at someone else being the centre of attention.

16. Kidda

Kidda Z is for stripey oss

Yeah but you weren't celebrating her death because she was a greengrocers daughter. Which is something the moral outrage surrounding these celebrations misses. Someone who treated people with such disrespect in life can not then be expected to receive respect in death.

Fez909 likes this.
  17. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

I was not sneering
    You seem to be projecting onto me an architype of which you disapprove and feel needs to be attacked
    As for:-
    "If we let go of all our hatred, we stop questioning, we stop being critical, and we start just accepting what happens"
    I'm sure Nick Griffin would agree with you, word for word

18. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Did say "smidgeon"
    Am not claiming he's he's not "old drama queen"

19. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Fucks sake.
    He is old enough and been famous long enough to know fucking better.
    Prick.

20. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I'm not sure how being famous is supposed to give him any insight on how to behave himself

Pickman's model likes this.
  21. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I agree with Russell Brand on this point:-

"This demonstrates, I suppose, that if you opposed Thatcher's ideas it was likely because of their lack of compassion, which is really just a word for love. If love is something you cherish, it is hard to glean much joy from death, even in one's enemies."

Felt the same about people celebrating the deaths of Bin Laden and Hussain

22. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Loathe as I am to disrespect such a Sage and Teacher of Higher Truths, this is fanciful nonsense.

It's all very lovely to imagine that compassion and love are infinite and perfect in themselves, not sullied by notions of deserving or not deserving.

But that's not true, is it? Loving forgiveness, sometimes even for minor wounds done to us by those we loved to start with, is hard work. I don't believe it makes me a less compassionate person in general if I see no reason to try and feel compassion for a specific individual with whom I have no personal connection and most of whose actions and beliefs I regard as deeply unpleasant and the cause of misery to millions.

23. D'wards

To simplify it even further i just don't think the answer to hate and negativity is more hate and negativity.

Pronbably not the right time/place but i feel thats whats wrong with a lot of, cough, lefties - they are just as nasty and negative and hateful as the facists.

Take the high road, its smugger up here!

24. Pickman's model

not to mention more addictive.

25. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

What as this got to do with John Lydon being a prick? :confused:

26. D'wards

Did you read the transcript of his interview?

You see its hard to tell if people reacting to his sexism, nazi salute or condemning of dancing on Thatcher's grave

27. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

Brand is as big a cock end as Lydon

Belushi and Left like this.
  28. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I only red the OP :oops:

John Lydon? Mr Rotten himself? Condemning the dancing on Thatchers grave? :D :D Ha

29. D'wards

Thanks for your erudite and reasoned reply

tendril likes this.
  30. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Yes.
    I am not sure if he was more irritating when he was being a 'naughty boy' or now he is clean and all hippy and shit.

tendril likes this.