New jazz!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Heard this on the radio jsut now, and it really stood out - excellent piano leading number, and its named after a bit of south london so bonus points.
    Looking up Bill he plays with Snarky Puppy which is a US project, but pretty sure he's at least resident in London if not from here.

2. ska invita

new comp on Giles Petersons Brownswood of new school jazz:
    We Out Here, by We Out Here
    • 1. Maisha - Inside The Acorn
      2. Ezra Collective - Pure Shade
      3. Moses Boyd - The Balance
      4. Theon Cross - Brockley
      5. Nubya Garcia - Once
      6. Shabaka Hutchings - Black Skin, Black Masks
      7. Triforce - Walls
      8. Joe Armon-Jones - Go See
      9. Kokoroko - Abusey Junction
    • A primer on London’s bright-burning young jazz scene, this new compilation brings together a collection of some of its sharpest talents. A set of nine newly-recorded tracks, We Out Here captures a moment where genre markers matter less than raw, focused energy. Surveying the album’s running order, it could easily serve as a name-checking exercise for some of London’s most-tipped and hardworking bands of the past couple of years. Recorded across three long, fruitful days in a North West London studio, the results speak for themselves: they’re a window into the wide-eyed future of London’s musical underground.

The album bottles up some of the vital ideas emanating from that burgeoning movement. A reflection of how London’s jazz-influenced music has reached outward into new spaces, the sound of the record draws from a wide pool. There’s plenty of crossover between each of the groups, too, speaking to the close-knit circles which make up the scene; shared line-ups reflect the mutual cooperation and DIY spirit which are second-nature.

Ubiquitous, much-lauded saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings is the project’s musical director. His own recent projects span from South Africa-connected, spiritually-minded jazz players Shabaka and the Ancestors to Sons of Kemet, who match diasporically-connected compositions with viscerally-direct live shows. His input ties together a deft, genre-agnostic sensibility that’s shared through all the players on the record.

Nodding to spiritual jazz influences, Maisha’s ‘Inside The Acorn’ is a wandering, explorative rumination, balancing delicate washes of piano and percussion with sharp interplay between flute and bass clarinet. Ezra Collective – whose drummer and bandleader Femi Koleoso has toured with Pharaohe Monch – run a tight, Afrobeat-tipped rhythm on ‘Pure Shade’, with the final third changing gear into a melodic, momentous closing stretch.

On Moses Boyd’s ‘The Balance’, the drummer – who co-produced Zara McFarlane’s recent, critically-lauded album, as well as touring with the likes of Sampha – builds a steadily-paced, atmospheric creation, loosening up the rhythm and intensity as it progresses. Theon Cross – who’s part of Hutchings’ Sons of Kemet – starts his track, ‘Brockley’, with the solo, distinctive low rumble of his tuba. Winding and mesmeric, it sees tuba and sax lines winding together in rhythmic and melodic parallels.

Showing a similarly controlled approach, Nubya Garcia’s ‘Once’ is taut and carefully-poised, her tenor sax guiding a carefully-built energy to an explosive conclusion. Shabaka Hutchings’ ‘Black Skin, Black Masks’ is typically difficult-to-define: with an off-kilter, shifting rhythmic backbone, repeated phrases – mirrored between clarinet and bass clarinet – shape the track with an alluring hue.

Triforce’s ‘Walls’ is a performance in two parts: starting with Mansur Brown’s languorous, lyrical guitar, the second half switches up to a low-slung, g-funk-tipped groove. Joe Armon-Jones, whose ludicrous chops on the piano have seen him touring with the likes of Ata Kak, showcases earworm-like, insistent motifs on ‘Go See’, balanced with a playful, improvisatory approach with room for ad-libbing and solos a-plenty. Finally, taking a softer tact than many of the other entries, Kokoroko – whose guitarist Oscar Jerome has been making waves with his solo material – spin a lyrical, steady-paced meditation on ‘Abusey Junction’, matching chanted vocals with gently-played guitar.
      credits
      releases February 9, 2018

3. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

The album this is from, Swift, is very good.

4. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

5. Threshers_Flail

6. Threshers_Flail

Also the 'My Queen is Doreen Lawrence' track I heard on Gilles Peterson yesterday. :thumbs:

7. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

8. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

danny la rouge likes this.
  9. ska invita

Just saw this on Facebook... Guardian playlist of new UK jazz.. haven't played it myself

danny la rouge and Callie like this.
  10. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Think I might go and see Mike Walker's new thing in Manchester in a couple of weeks, a sort of Jazz / contemporary classical thing. This is his last work with the same crew, which is lush as fuck, so fingers crossed...

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

ska invita likes this.
  12. killer b

Went to see Toolshed tonight, Graham Massey's improv collective - they were great, did a load of Sun Ra stuff, but various members of the collective did sets in the first half and these guys were brilliant: Skeltr. Catch 'em live if you can...

13. killer b

A mate of mine had just released a nice LP - he plays guitar, Julian Arguelles on soprano sax, plus a string section.

Oneiric Sounds, by John Bailey

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  14. ska invita

Couple of mellow easy listening ones
    some good moments on it

on a simliar mellow hot summer tip new Robert Glasper thing out there at the mo too R+R=NOW...very laid back west coast jammy vocodery thing
    R+R=NOW "Collagically Speaking"

really grown on me

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  15. ska invita

These Ruby Rushton guys seem good (based on this one video ive watched!) - helps when youre playing a classic, but theyve done a great job on it here

16. ska invita

Absolutely love this record, came out last year...more seasoned players than a lot of the new jazz stuff, and its got that London-based international-influence big band Jazz Warriors sound with a lot of very Gill Evansish arrangements (to my ears)...for my tastes the best jazz record ive heard in a long long time
    fully streamable here too
    Bansangu Orchestra, by Bansangu Orchestra

danny la rouge likes this.
  17. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

I really like that. Great guitar work. But the horns are amazing. Really good arranging. Good shout, thanks.

ska invita likes this.
  18. ska invita

Hadnt heard of trumpeter Brian Newman before, only on his second album which has come out on Verve last year called Showboat, i think its a tribute to bop greats, all original compositions, and a lot of it sounds fantastic i think - very accessible but still firing
    Presume this is a tribute to freddie hubbard

Looking at youtube Lady Gaga is always getting on stage with him at his residency in new york somewhere, which is what it is, but it seems to have helped to raise his profile.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  19. killer b

This is a couple of years old, but is pure fire: Moor Mother's free jazz outfit Irreversible Entanglements (they have a new live album coming out on Cafe Oto's label too)