New jazz!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I didn't even see your post! Pure coincidence :D

plurker likes this.
  2. plurker

plurker tĂș no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Argh to no ability to post links!

Christian Scott
    Rob Glasper, again not exactly new, but shaking up the scene...

3. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I feel I should add this too, urban album of the year contender:
    Badbadnotgood

I listen to this all the time over and over, her voice!

4. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Aww 7 years ago, Mancunian trumpeterer Matthew Halsall

He might not actually be from Manchester :D

Fez909, ska invita and Beats & Pieces like this.
  5. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

This is all sorts of cool.

nogojones, Fez909 and ska invita like this.
  6. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Ah just clocked that Shabaka Hutchings is also one of the cats in Sons of Kemet. :cool:

7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Fitting you should post that....last time there was an official jazz revival in the UK (ie the press said there was one) was around 2003 with Soweto Kinch as the Great New Hope...i saw a little 30 minute documentary at the time which rounded up what was going on in UK jazz at the time, and also touched on some of the long standing negative attitudes the scene has faced....

...one thing mentioned was the NICE sketch, which some talking heads reckon summed up the negative attitude throughout the 90s....
    ETA: I think in part 3 of this bbc series Jazz Britannia - Next on - BBC Four
    might be out there somewhere to watch...was good...the whole series....i vaguely remember!

Whats great about the current crop is that the music is accessible and wants to meet the audience....for a long time i feel like a lot of uk jazz acts have been straight out of music academies and writing music that might make their teachers happy, but leaves a lot of audiences scratching their heads.
    Considering jazz was pop music right up the 50s (shifting huge amounts of records in the 50s), its a shame that its come to be something thats disconnected with people.

Talking of Soweto Kinch I only know his first two albums, but am just checking a couple of newer bits on youtube and its sounding great...very much fitting a lot of with whats going on today..this is a lovely vocal cut...kind of pushing that rnb-jazz sound to the edge<<<thats from 2012

This a fun old Soweto tune - him rapping whilst signing on at teh job centre in Brum.

The founder IIRC....certainly seems to be at the front of all the projects hes involved with...does interviews etc.... that may be because hes the front man as sax player though... plurker will know

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  8. ska invita

Esperanza Spalding is another big star in the US...normally i find her stuff too polished, but i did like this single from this years album....its a pop rockfusion tune really!....brilliant video too...
    should really check out the album...she is incredibly talented

*Just found this quality live recording of her this year - pretty amazing - though i cant say i really like it that much

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  9. ska invita

These look well worth seeing live - tight afrobeat jazz - Kokoroko

10. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Saw them as well recently in a small bar. Really rocked it

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Saw him at Manchester Jazz Festival years ago in Chorlton. He was great, but there was this flutist on before him who blew me away. The music was amazing, and the way she moved was the most memorizing thing I've ever seen. It was like she was an alien/robot who had come to earth to teach us about music. I wasn't even on drugs at the time :cool:

I should really find out who she was...

12. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Another Yussef Kamaal one that's come to my attention recently

GoGo Penguin and Snarky Puppy seem to be getting a bit of a name for themselves

And finally for the time being, more of a soul/jazz thing that has a feel to it that I really like and it seems to be my current earworm

SpookyFrank and Threshers_Flail like this.
  13. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Bit Londoncentric I know but Moses Boyd is going to be doing a gig at Corsica studios on 23th March :)

14. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I saw gogo penguin re-scoring Koyanisquatsi a couple of years back - great band, took some cojones to take that on too (it was great, but mainly for the sake of it being live, and a bravura performance - their score wasn't a patch on Glasses)

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank King of the Rhodes

Thanks for the heads up on these lot. Just put on this song 'Garden Dog Barbecue' for the first time and it got me dancing around the room like a mad cunt like nothing has in years.

nogojones likes this.
  16. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

I've just bought the album, and that track stood out. I might re-edit it, just love the build and groove on it.

:)

Fez909 likes this.
  17. Beats & Pieces

I simply love this, not quite Jazz but it falls within the orbit of influence. The piano solo - beautiful.

18. ska invita

Just came across this guy;
    Cory Henry - Wikipedia
    Cory Alexander Henry (born February 27, 1987) is an American jazz organist and pianist, gospel musician and music producer. He started his music career in 2006 by touring with various mainstream and gospel artists. Henry has released two albums, First Steps (2014) and The Revival (2016), both of which charted on the Billboard magazine charts. He also performs and records with the Brooklyn-based jazz ensemble Snarky Puppy.

Absolutely smashes is on the organ....
    ("Henry was born in Brooklyn, New York,[1] where he was playing both the piano and B3 organ at just two years old. He played a show at the Apollo Theater when he was six.[2][3]")
    Here freewheeling between some different gospel jams

19. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

I love this session.

Not a new outfit but this was last year,

ska invita likes this.
  20. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Give these guys a twirl too.

21. ska invita

:thumbs::thumbs: really enjoying this...will check the album...i like it when you get a drummer as band leader...badass drummer too....proper headnod grooving jazz

ETA: checked the LPs - 2012 Split Decision is a really classy piano-lead trio record, but the 2015 albeton mashed up In The Moment isnt doing it for me....clearly great live though

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  22. Beats & Pieces

23. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

saw courtney pine once, he was actually very good.

used to listen to giles peterson, he used to be very good.

brought lots of records on the compost label, they still are quite good.

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  24. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

He's at Love Supreme festival this year which mrs and I love so can't wait to see him live.

ska invita likes this.
  25. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Have a look at the lineup, quite a few from this thread are there,

Love Supreme

26. ska invita

I see all three of Shabaka Hutchings projects are on the bill! :D (sons of kemet, comet whatnot and ancestors)
    great line up this year!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  27. ska invita

one of the more well known new wave - resolution 88 - hits some nice jazz funk vibes

28. Beats & Pieces

29. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I've mentioned it on the new albums thread, but I guess this should go here too (although there's some very not-jazz stuff going on too). In the running for my album of the year I think. Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Simultonality

30. ska invita

Playing the Albany, Deptford in September
    The Albany | Hires | KOKOROKO

Rutita1 likes this.