New Gemini PDA brings back those old school Psion vibes

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Jan 10, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What do we think, urban?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See preview here:
    Former Psion designers return with a fresh take on the PDA

Throbbing Angel and Lazy Llama like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

like it, can't see it catching on though somehow

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Would be better if the lid/screen could do a 180 and be used like a regular phone.

If you're going to carry two devices, which means one of them has to go in a bag, then why not make the 2nd one a real laptop or a tablet?

salem likes this.
  5. rich!

rich! stalin tache

I preordered as soon as I saw it. Now I can take my smaller phone on trips as the wifi dongle, and use this for email. Also, dual boot is supported. Annoyed their only "case option" is actual.fucking.leather...

editor likes this.
  6. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Brings back happy memories of my Psion 5 - which is up in the loft somewhere. It was finally superseded by a Sony Clie

Used to get it fixed by a bloke in a garden shed in Streatham who ran a company called Pinnock Organiser Services (POS) that seems to have finally gone into administration in 2014

7. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I like the look of this more than the current smartphones. Hope it works.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Sony Clies were ace. Really great devices.

9. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Just need a dead dead basic phone with epic battery life, which can also work as a WiFi hot-spot and you'd have the perfect setup.

10. rich!

rich! stalin tache

that's exactly what my s4 mini will be doing :)

11. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

I've still got one lying in the bottom of a drawer.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

13. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

I *love* the idea of this, I've never quite got used to virtual keyboards & have a lingering lust for clamshell design, proper keyboard type devices. If I had the cash I'd buy one for nostalgia reasons, but in a world of super slick & powerful mobiles, tablets, ultra-portable laptops, etc, where does this really fit in? :confused:

14. UnderAnOpenSky

Well if it has the guts of a modern smartphone with a decent keyboard I can see the appeal.

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  15. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Didn't the world decide it preferred touchscreen keyboards on phones, in the end? I was initially a massive skeptic about them personally, but I wouldn't want to go back now.

16. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

Depends what you're doing I suppose kabbes I use touch and keys but for very different things.

The people over at the Alphasmart forum over on Flickr (an I imagine a few on Brighthand) are quite excited by this device - a few have ordered - I can't afford boooo :mad:

17. UnderAnOpenSky

Not for me. My phone keyboard is good enough for short posts on urban and the like to not want to carry round a more bulky device I need to open. I guess if wanted to write longer stuff and have it fit in a pocket I could see the appeal. Provided taking phone calls wasn't a complete arse.

18. cheesethief

I'm surprised people are ordering what sounds like quite an early, incomplete version of the device. I'd be waiting till they'd ironed out the kinks.

19. kabbes

It looks pretty big for a pocket, although if the clamshell means it doesn't need a protective case, that would make up for it.

20. UnderAnOpenSky

I think its the lure of running Linux. It does funny things to people.

21. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Pretty much as you’d imagine

It's aiming at very specific, niche markets, which is where it will probably do well.
    It's for the tinkerers, the on-the-move writers, the Linux fans.

22. kabbes

The more I look at it, the more I'm struggling to see where its vaunted niche lies.

If you want to type with it, you realistically need to put it down flat. Typing one-handed is going to be hard. Surfing the web whilst standing on the train is going to be hard. Anything designed for a screen in profile is going to be hard. So it seems unlikely to be a good replacement for a smartphone. You gain some things but you lose others, and what you lose is pretty useful stuff.

So what is the idea -- that I have a smartphone and I have one of these? But in that case, how is this better than having a proper tablet paired with a keyboard? Or a Chromebook? Is it the pocket-sized thing? That's only useful if I don't have a bag. But with no bag, I need a pocket for my phone, a pocket for this, a pocket for my wallet, a pocket for my keys, a pocket for my change...

No, in reality, this isn't going in a pocket, it's going in a bag. And so we're back to rivals that allow you to actually work on something with a keyboard that doesn't require Donald Trump-sized hands and with a screen that is big enough to see things on from a distance.

What is it that people can see that I can't, here?

UnderAnOpenSky and Crispy like this.
  23. cheesethief

I must confess the dual boot Android/Liunx is very compelling for me! Would be very interested to know which Linux distro they go with in the end, hopefully something like Debian/Xfce.

24. UnderAnOpenSky

A fair bit of nostalgia I think will play part of it.

I agree Android will be pretty shit in landscape without decent skining

25. Lazy Llama

The most popular version is the one with 4G and WiFi, so they won't need a phone as well. It's not much bigger than a "phablet" so can go in a pocket or small bag, without the weight of most laptops.
    It's not really aimed at the general "surfing the web, doing email" user - that's the Chromebook or smartphone mass market.
    It's aimed at the sort of people who need one of these :) The same sort of people who probably had Psions, or Sony UX50s before.

Anyone who's used a mobile touch keyboard to do ssh sessions to manage their servers will know that it's a right pain in the arse compared to a physical keyboard. The Psions were known for great keyboards and that you could easily use them two-handed without putting them on a surface (thumb typing).

It's around the same price as the GPD Pocket, which has a nasty keyboard and is quite a bit bigger. I'm impressed that they've managed to make it with what must be a relatively small production run, and I'm sure the bugs will be worked out as they get delivered to the users - the userbase looks to be the sort who will fix the problems, rather than expecting the manufacturer to do it, which comes from it being a very "Open" product.

kabbes and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  26. Lazy Llama

From their IndieGoGo updates:
    Gemini PDA Android & Linux keyboard mobile device

cheesethief likes this.
  27. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  28. Lazy Llama

29. cheesethief

30. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

But can you touch-type on it? I'd say that folded keyboard is the smallest thing I feel I can touch-type on. Not sure what the point of a keyboard over a screen is if you can't touch-type.

kabbes likes this.