Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New era of restricting protest and activism?

ska invita

back on the other side
Has anyone been following events closely?

Emily Apple has recently written about legal changes and the new counter-terrorism list here
and here

The Met announce they are rolling out facial recognition cameras for London. I can well imagine these will be used for any demonstrations and actions. There will be a legal challenge to that but a precedent for use has been set thanks to this case Police use of facial recognition is legal, Cardiff high court rules

I didn't follow the story but then there was the Board of Deputies of British Jews 10 Pledges which all Labour leader candidates signed up to, which does seem capable of having a chilling effect on supporting Palestinian rights

Obvs the Spycops hearing rumbles on

It does feel like a trend. My inclination is to think its as bad a situation as it ever was, nothing really new - hard to judge if these are significant next steps to suppression of dissent.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
I guess some people might try and make an argument that writing for The Canary gets your article in front of more eyes than you otherwise might have managed, but y'know. fuck that.
Especially if the articles are so shit it'd be better if nobody ever read them.

yield

zero
I fucking detest The Canary and refuse to read anything in it.
The Canary is detestable but it's an opinion piece and Emily Apple is reliable afaik.

E2A: Since I bothered to read it and didn't add nothing. Yes I agree with her. At first I was jokes how can they be so misinformed and out of date. That they'll alienate a load of middle class liberals. But the direction of travel is pretty worrying HTH

Last edited:

Doctor Carrot

Bear Grylls grills bare bears
Yes, there definitely is more restriction coming and furthermore people actually want it.

Enough Is Enough: Public back Nick's campaign to give police more power to stop disorder

Granted this is an LBC poll but it seems people actively want their leaders to shit on them. First, the party that's done just that since its existence was established have just been elected with a huge majority by the very people who have suffered that treatment the most. Now it's 'yes please, please reduce our right to protest further by getting water canons, facial recognition and preventing people previously arrested from protesting in future.'

ska invita

back on the other side
Yes, there definitely is more restriction coming and furthermore people actually want it.

Enough Is Enough: Public back Nick's campaign to give police more power to stop disorder

Granted this is an LBC poll but it seems people actively want their leaders to shit on them. First, the party that's done just that since its existence was established have just been elected with a huge majority by the very people who have suffered that treatment the most. Now it's 'yes please, please reduce our right to protest further by getting water canons, facial recognition and preventing people previously arrested from protesting in future.'
This is what worries me - with our current nationalist/traitors/culture wars surge everything is in place to try and play this card and get popular support. Warning shots from Tories and police have been fired. Potential for authoritarian creep to creep on looms large

BristolEcho

Prevent is such shite and it came up in training the other day. The radical group that targeted me at the age of 14, gave me training and put a gun in my hand was the Army. Every year they target kids who aren't doing well and invite them to get involved for a brighter future.

ska invita

back on the other side

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
There's actually going to be a protest against Nick Ferrari tomorrow morning outside LBC in Leicester Square. Some might say there should be daily protests against Nick Ferrari until he stops it, but in this case it's specifically about his anti protest campaign.

ska invita

back on the other side
There's actually going to be a protest against Nick Ferrari tomorrow morning outside LBC in Leicester Square. Some might say there should be daily protests against Nick Ferrari until he stops it, but in this case it's specifically about his anti protest campaign.
What time?