New Crossrail / Elizabeth line tube map released

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jul 14, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm never going to call it the bloody Elizabeth line!

elizabeth-line-crossrail-tube-map.jpg

Maggot, A380, sealion and 1 other person like this.
  2. Clapton Ultras will be able to get to the Spotted Dog quicker now from Hoxton.

Slo-mo, marty21 and A380 like this.
  3. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

What do you call the Victoria line?

Tankus, Maggot, A380 and 2 others like this.
  4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

This is going to be one of the "real Londoner" tests going forward.

paolo and A380 like this.
  5. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

why abbey wood tho?? :D

Rommers likes this.
  6. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Handy place to turn back trains for serving the goldmine of Canary Wharf , and also as a very late apology for not building the Fleet Line to Thamesmead in the 1970's ..funny how "the Wharf" gets 2 new railways and the whole DLR network ?

To me it is Crossrail ....was only the Business and Operations Manager for the first attempt , - 1990 - 1996 - when made redundant when Major and his pals kicked it into touch.

BigTom, A380, ddraig and 2 others like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not the Elizabeth line. But I'll be calling this one Crossrail.

stavros, innit, BassJunkie and 3 others like this.
  8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

liked for Fleet Line :)

A380 likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

"Forsooth! One would like a return on the Elizabethan line"...

[​IMG]

mojo pixy and A380 like this.
  10. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

It's going to be cool. I don't think anyone will call it the Elizabeth Line for long. Not just about protest but also because Elizabeth Line is just too long and doesn't really flow. I reackon it will stay Crossrail or be called the Lizzie Line by most people.

They missed a trick in not sticking to with the Bakerloo methodology and calling the Victoria line the Viking line.

Mind you I still encourage my children to call the Jubilee Line the Fleet Line. They think I'm a fucking loon though.

11. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I reckon in time it will be known as the Liz Line.

And A380, it's not just your kids that think that :p

A380 likes this.
  12. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

They should name it after her son and call it the Charlie Line, and it should be white.

13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

In 10 years time it will be the Lizzy line. You heard it here first.

A380 likes this.
  14. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

upload_2017-7-14_23-24-40.png
    this is 2017. Why are they building so many stations with a step from train to platform?

15. A lot of them aren't new builds?

Bahnhof Strasse, BigTom and A380 like this.
  16. A380

Unless in 20 years time its home to the last bedraggled survivors of London. Scraping a living from the vending machines in a post apocalyptic hell. Praying to a lost deity they call Core Byne for deliverance from the daemon Farrase.

iamwithnail likes this.
  17. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Missed opportunity even so, given how much it's costing. Even if it uses the same lines and platforms as other services, except in the central, Abbey Wood & Heathrow sections, it seems preposterous people in wheelchairs can roll on and off in those bits but not on the whole line.

18. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Well of course. I didn't want to labour the obvious.

Bahnhof Strasse and A380 like this.
  19. tim

tim Well-Known Member

There's hopefully Crosstalk 2 and perhaps even 3 to come. They should become, respectively, the Ken Line, the Boris Line and the Sadiq Line.

Once completed the revamped Thameslink network ought to be renamed the Crowbob Line.

A380 likes this.
  20. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

No, no they shouldn't. Call them after almost anything except politicians (whether or not they've been accused of racism but especially if they have, which rules out at least 2 of the 3). Or royalty. Or people of any sort... I mean I suppose if I really had to I'd support the Crowbob suggestion, he can have a railway line as well as a battalion, but only if the alternative is eg the Dacre Line.

A boaty mcboatface type public competition would probably come up with something much less contentious and more interesting.

the Sheep Line goes east/west and the Goat Line north/south...

Bahnhof Strasse and A380 like this.
  21. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

It would be Liney McLineface. With the Elizabeth line as runner up. Or possibly the Prince George line/Willsandkate line.

stavros, Bahnhof Strasse and A380 like this.
  22. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

omg :(

A380 likes this.
  23. tim

tim Well-Known Member

The Kropotkin Line and the Bakunin Line and Marx can have Crossrail 3 in the unlikely case of it ever being a built. I stick to Crowbob for Thameslink

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  24. tim

tim Well-Known Member

And from today onwards I will revert to saying the Fleet Line or perhaps the Flett li after Keith.

A380 likes this.
  25. A380

The Onedian Line?

The Clothesline?

The Thin Red Line?

WouldBe and DaveCinzano like this.
  26. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Judging by the shape - Diplodocus Line

27. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

That's the thing though - it will be because other services use those lines.

28. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

I like how it goes to Sheffield after Brentwood :)

pug likes this.
  29. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

well yes, but only up to as point. It's necessary to step down from existing train services to the platform because... well because the train was built that way. For some reason that's a bit mystifying the size of the step is occasionally bigger than usual and they have an announcement to warn us. Doubtless the Victorians can be blamed, but why the solution is an announcement rather than some civil engineering is anyone's guess. I've been vaguely puzzled about this for years.

It all seems most peculiar to me, and they probably had to write a special exemption into the DDA to make it legal :rolleyes:.

But here is an opportunity to organise the new railway so that there is no step by, eg, building the train to fit the existing platforms and if there's a discrepancy at some station to make the platform fit the train (as they did on the Victoria line a few years ago). Having designed the train around the existing stations they can then design the new stations around the train.

On the same theme I wonder about the mind the gag gap. It's inevitable on platforms built on a curve, but not all of them are, some are straight. So why not move the rails over a few inches, why insist people have to jump?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  30. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

such a fucking stupid name for a tube line. How many fucking things are we going to name after this hag? we got elizabeth land somewhere in Antarctica, elizabeth tower, 2 x navy destroyers called elizabeth and now elizabeth line? :rolleyes: