New Cross - what is there in the way of music and venues?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by sim667, Nov 1, 2016.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I'm currently putting together a proposal to try a music night at one of the venues in New Cross, however its not an area I really know that well, so trying to pick up some ideas about how to make this all work and get people through the door..... So hoping to pick the urban75 hive mind.

The venue is more known as a live music venue, but is opening (or has just opened a new basement bar). Currently I've broached the subject of running a reggae/dub/funk/soul/hip hop night.

I was hoping that any other urbs know of nights that run around there with a similar music policy, that I can look out to try and avoid clashes with, and whether New Cross is generally quite busy in the evenings?

Or has anyone got experience of running nights in that area? I'm much more a Brighton and raves at farms/festivals type guy..... So this is all a bit new to me.

2. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

What's the venue in New Cross? It's a pretty lively area during term time, as that's where Goldsmiths is.

There's a dub night in nearby Deptford. Might be worth checking what they're up to so you don't clash...

Deptford Dub Club | Facebook

sim667 likes this.
  3. clandestino

4. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

Not sure if this is helpful but these are the other musicky places nearby I can think of...

Amersham Arms of course

Theres the Bird Nest in Deptford but I think its a bit more metal and rock
    The Birds Nest - Gigs

Fox and Firkin in Lewisham will probably have similar stuff. I think they have a regular thing on Sunday that might clash
    The Fox and Firkin – Events

5. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

Buster Mantis in Deptford is a big newish Jamaican bar. I've never been and their website doesn't mention music really but I'd always assumed it would be reggae/dub etc friendly

6. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

When were a lad , the Amersham Arms was a good night out , worth travelling to from the depths of Wimbledon..

not-bono-ever and sealion like this.
  7. clandestino

Also worth checking out what's at the Bunker in Deptford. They have lots of club nights, usually house, hip hop, funk etc.

8. clandestino

9. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Yeah, I reckon The Bunker is your best bet. Astoundingly cheap drinks too.

10. sim667

11. sim667

Well known for their reggae gigs iirc?

12. sim667

I've got a bit of an "in" at the new cross inn.

What I'm looking at is whether we'd have to do free entry, or whether we could do a token £2-£3 entry.....

If we can't charge a little for the entry, its not worth doing it. But there needs to be a balance between charging and getting people through the door.

The other question is whether a reggae/funk/soul/dub night would get people in, or whether I'd be better pushing for the type of event we do already bassline/jungle/dnb, and whether that would be ok at the new cross in.

clandestino likes this.
  13. clandestino

Good luck! I've done a few nights at the Montague Arms, just up the road, and being near to Goldsmiths definitely helps.

sim667 likes this.
  14. sim667

Out of interest, do you charge a door charge?

Edit: just saw you do......

15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

16. sim667

As a follow up, we never ended up doing our thing at the new cross, but they've been putting on some good punk gigs there...... Just bought goldfinger tickets.

17. fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl hysterically useless

Edit ignore - just read the thread