1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Cross - The Hidden Gems

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mod, Jan 15, 2016.

1. mod

mod A modernist

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

[​IMG]
    "we hope you found this kiosk clean and in good ..." :D

Fez909 and mod like this.
  3. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Can't really tell what the point being made is here. Could New Cross be cleaner? Sure. Is that one of the major problems of New Cross? No.

Slo-mo likes this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

i thought you might have trouble with it.

i took mod to mean these were things in new cross which most people would never remember let alone photograph. when new cross is squeaky clean in a few years time images like this will remind us of a time when things weren't so orderly.

mod, shygirl, uk benzo and 2 others like this.
  5. mod

mod A modernist

Pretty much that, yeah. Celebrating one of inner londons last remaining shit holes whilst we can. It's gonna look very, very different in a few years.

6. Brainaddict

Ah, I see, the 'hidden gems' line came across as sarcastic. It's true it's in line for pretty hardcore gentrification, but I like to think it will be a bit protected by the massive A-road ruining the core of it :D

7. mod

mod A modernist

I live about 30 metres from said thoroughfare. My balcony overlooks it actually. Its a noisy cunt.

8. Brainaddict

In a hypothetical world where such expenditure wouldn't signify gentrification, I've sometimes thought it would be great for New Cross if the road got tunnelled beneath it. But in this world it's not even a good idea to campaign for such a thing, even if the govt were in a mood to spend money. It would just be a driver of massive property price increases.

toblerone3 likes this.
  9. mod

mod A modernist

Do you live there too?

That would never happen. There are much busier londons (the A4 out west) which most be a nightmare to live near. Reducing the speed limit to 20mph would help with he noise on the A2.

Gentrification is happening. I think new cross and Peckham will look very, very different in 5 years. Peckham has changed a remarkable amount already.

10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Mundane pictures of New Cross :cool:

Nice thread :thumbs:

11. mod

mod A modernist

I have others!

08.jpg

12. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

... lest we forget ...

[​IMG]

18 January 1981

13. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

that image seems not to load properly

it loaded when i first quoted but not afterwards

14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

15. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

when I used to walk to work (brixton to deptford) new cross was quite possibly the nadir of the journey. Not especially terrible just.. dull and slightly grim.

deptford wasn't much better to be honest but it had a touch more going on.

Orang Utan and mod like this.
  16. mod

mod A modernist

Deptford is a far superior area. I grew up there from 1974 to 1986. Has much more character.

The area of telegraph hill and around there aside. New cross is grim.

17. Orang Utan

It's not all bad. There's a nice little estate near the Sandford Co-operative that some friends live on. It looks just like Brookside off of the telly.
    One friend is lucky enough to live in a detached one bedroom flat. Luxury.

Greebo likes this.
  18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

shygirl and mod like this.
  19. this has inspred me to track down shit peckham before it is gone and we get all wistful and teary eyed about it

Miss-Shelf and mod like this.
  20. JCB

JCB Well-Known Member

Will New Cross every gentrify? Great architecture, good houses, zone 2, quick commute into central London. Still a shit hole.

mod likes this.
  21. Orang Utan

Having said that, there was a really bad double murder there some years ago that seem to have tainted the place.
    New Cross double murder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

22. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

A few gems -

This (opens as rtf file - so word or some such required) is the notes of a radical history walk around New Cross, put together by the guy who does the Transpontine blog (he does occasionally lead a version of the walk - worth going if you get the chance)

Some New Cross highlights from Transpontine -

some New Cross music

the 1920s New Cross Super Kinema (now The Venue)

Deptford Town Hall (New Cross)

The Red Flag (the song that is) was written on a train home to, and finished at home in New Cross

mod, Greebo, oryx and 1 other person like this.
  23. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Some New Cross past -

Afghan Hounds racing at New Cross Stadium, 1958 (part of where Bridge House Meadows is now - it did speedway racing as well as doggies)

London's last tram at New Cross depot (now New Cross bus garage), 1952

24. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

That stadium looks enormous!

Greebo likes this.
  25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

capacity of 26,000 according to wikipedia

Greebo and oryx like this.
  26. mod

mod A modernist

Thanks. Lots of ingesting stuff there. Loved this....

- Alex James from Blur recalls that on his 21st birthday in 1989, when he and other band members were squatting in a semi-derelict flat at 302A New Cross Road, Damon Albarn 'climbed on to the roof of Deptford Town Hall next door and changed the time on the big clock, which stayed at the wrong time for several years' (Bit of a Blur: the Autobiography, 2010).

27. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Five Bells, one of the great Millwall pubs is closing. Gutted. The stories about that pub!

28. sealion

sealion Marilise Legijuana

I believe it will remain as a pub after some kind of refurb. Hopefully it remains a wall pub on matchdays.

BigMoaner likes this.
  29. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Love the pic btw

sealion likes this.
  30. sealion

sealion Marilise Legijuana

Needs a keg rolling along it.:thumbs:

BigMoaner likes this.