1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New cider bar in Loughborough Junction reopens on Fri 19 to Sun 21 May 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Brixton Hatter, May 28, 2015.

1. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

Had a try of the applesecco. A 6% wine-a-like.

It maintains a nice light apple front end with a light demisec dryness on the aftertaste.

For £10 a bottle it is a nice choice for something a little diffrent.

Kinda makes me think someone accidently dropped some champaign yest into a bottle of appletize. In a nice way.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  2. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I've just escaped my own education mill Shippou-Sensei you had better not have drunk the place dry before I get there.

3. Shippou-Sensei

In a effort to manage a balance between dry and sweet I go for the Abrahalls dry. This is a ninja cider. It's a deadly 6.5% but it dances over the tounge leaving only a faint hint of tannin to indicate its passing. Even the most stalwart samurai find themselves mysteriously colapsing when this brew is around.

4. Shippou-Sensei

I make no promises.

5. Shippou-Sensei

They do say write what you know.

Know and love in this case.

6. Shippou-Sensei

Given the wide selection I am feeling a little lost. To make my choice thematic I go for the 5.5% medium Lost Orchard.

This woody coloured tipple smacks me with a citric start that rolls over quickly into a hard brewed tea tannin taste.

It has a almost fizzy impact but the rich dry tannin flavour quickly wicks away that initial moisture.

I pair this selection with the bad boy appeal of the Scoundrel. This medium cider is smuggling a weighty 6.5% and is also avaliable in dry.
    This cider is bright and refreshing reminding me very much of a citron presse.

It's fighting power really does make this one a secret lemonade drinker.

7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Dropped in for one. Good to see fellow urbanites. As before Shippou-Sensei excels at his his reviews of ciders on tap.

8. Shippou-Sensei

I started Pagan but the church was right as it was a gateway to Lucifer. This is a 6.66% dry but unsurprisingly it lords it up at being light. It has citric start and tends to tannin rather like the lost orchard but instead of going all out it is a master of subtleties and temptation.
    Beware this brew as it will lead you into evil.

9. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Is there such a thing as as session cider? Something between 4 and 4.5%?

10. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Just the one? :D

Gramsci likes this.
  11. Shippou-Sensei

I managed a sample off the secret menu.

The one tree hill cider. A cider donated by a local manufacturer while initially it seemed an average cider as it warmed in my hands a transformation occurred. What was.once a decent cider started to leak flavour after flavor. A song of apples entered a malic harmony.
    Delicious. Best served in hand.

12. Gramsci

Behaving myself. :D

13. ViolentPanda

I'll be popping down tomorrow, early evening, after chatting with my mates on Atlantic Rd (Brixton Arise! Doing stuff about housing and social cleansing in Brixton outside the carpet shop).

14. ViolentPanda

And the above is exactly why I hate "keg" cider like Strongbow that's chilled by the pump - stops you tasting how rancid the 'orrible stuff is!

15. Shippou-Sensei

As our beloved landlord calls time I nip in to claim some stocks. I also take the opera unity to sample the Naughty Horsey. This cider surgar is a 7% dry. Unlike most others it starts with a feint leaving a mild first impression but follows things up with a decent dry after taste. A great dry cider for people who feel the bolder brews are overwhelming.

16. Shippou-Sensei

I finish the night with a pint of elderflower duddans tun.

It reminds me why I crowned it queen of easy drinks.

All hail the Empress.

Sophisticated with a sweet wink.

17. Gramsci

Unfortunately I have other plans for Saturday.

18. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Sounds good..looked it up and it's 4% which is within my tolerance range.

19. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

Thanks everyone for a cracking night - had fun. Thanks for coming and getting involved.

Shippy has talked himself into a job as official Pommelier or something. Future menus will have to have a "Shippy says...." description alongside each drink... :)

20. Brixton Hatter

Yep, we have a few like this... :)

twistedAM likes this.
  21. Brixton Hatter

Little Hatter has just picked the free pints - really sorry for not doing this yesterday (was really busy and a bit late opening.)

Winners are:

ska invita
    19sixtysix
    isvicthere?
    alsoknownas
    Rebelda

I think one or two of you may have been there last night so apols for not posting this before. If you can't make it back to the bar this weekend, I'm more than happy to deliver a cider to you locally after the weekend. Or you could donate it to a mate....

Opening at 1pm today x

Thimble Queen and Gramsci like this.
  22. Gramsci

One afternoon pint of Hatters excellent selection of ciders. 20170520_162257.jpg

Brixton Hatter and brixtonblade like this.
  23. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Cracking ciders, hatter. That ginger chilli thing could replace the strawberry one as the new official danger juice.

Gramsci and Brixton Hatter like this.
  24. Shippou-Sensei

I was deeply tempted to join today's festivities but my take away cider instilled a deep lazy Ness.

Gramsci and Brixton Hatter like this.
  25. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Got down for the first time this year... Just as good as I remember it, top work BH!

26. Brixton Hatter

Another great day/night, thanks to all you thirsty drinkers!

Good to see MrSki return and all the rest of you.

Twattor was that your mate who was demanding "a really dirty filthy cider, something that's gonna make me shit myself"? :D

MrSki likes this.
  27. ViolentPanda

Sorry for missing this, this weekend. I've got a real craving to get pissed at the moment, so I'm staying away from sources of temptation.

Gramsci likes this.
  28. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Cripes all over by 6pm today... Y'all drunk em dry! No evening sunshine cider for me (just a cheeky half squeezed from the box by our genial host). Well done!

Gramsci likes this.
  29. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I think that was my mate.

Or maybe there's more than one of us with friends who like drinking pantshitter cider

Gramsci likes this.
  30. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Thanks for putting on another great show of ciders. :thumbs:

Gramsci likes this.