1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Brixton 'Then and Now' pics

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 1, 2003.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Are you saying that the German book illustration is what lies behind the houses fronting Barrington Road?

I can imagine that - looking again at lang rabbie 's post. The drawing is a bit idealised - ignoring the railway line. How many flats are in there now?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As far as I remember, and from looking at that photo the architectural details pretty much match up, no? Sadly, my friend who lived there was a troubled soul and killed himself.

I took this panorama from his flat in the old school building

[​IMG]

CH1 likes this.
  3. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

The railway arches are in the drawing on the left hand site, but probably foreshortened a bit more than in real life to reduce their impact!

CH1 likes this.
  4. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Hate to disagree CH1 but all that stuccowork was clearly there in 1910.

Brixton Orphanage for Fatherless Girls, Barrington Road, Brixton. Historical Brixton - old and new photos of Brixton, Lambeth, London, SW9 and SW2

Brixton College of Building only took it over as an annexe in the 1930s when the orphanage moved out.

CH1 and editor like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I will refer this back to my verbal but normally authoritative source.
    The Urban/Lambeth picture is clearly of the orphanage in 1910 and not Brixton College of Building
    [​IMG]

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's definitely the same building

2018-02-17_183541.jpg

lang rabbie likes this.