Never Trust a Hippy: Carlos Castaneda

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Idris2002, Apr 30, 2014.

1. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Corvids are my favourite class of birds though- smart, adaptable, resourceful.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Ravens not crows

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

you win this time :mad:
    (still reckon its where he might have nicked it from)

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

There are crows in David Keck's eye of heaven and in a time of treason, which are well worth reading. But not three eyed ones

5. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama ERROR 23 : DEFAULT MODE NETWORK COMPROMISED Banned

He was the shittest hippy(read those books when I was 14 and tripping out man). There were good honest ones like Timothy Leary, Dr Alexander Shulgin (PIKAL + TIKAL are better than that stupid weirdo crap) and Allen Ginsberg. Although these people where more beatniks, and Hippy was a commercialized/mainstream rip off of the beats.

6. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

tim leary was a dodgey cunt as well.

7. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

and Ginsberg was a member of NAMBLA so properly dodgy too

8. Ralph Llama

Shit, the bed! Dirty fucking hippies :mad:!!! Fuck Ginsberg: first Rolf, now this! My childhood hippy dreams are now deleted.

*start searching Shulgin

9. TruXta

TruXta tired

Worked for Dow Chemicals and collaborated with the DEA.

10. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

should be filed next to ' The celestine prophecy bollox section '

11. Ralph Llama

He made some awesome drugs though, and PIKAL and TIKAL are fantastic.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  12. TruXta

TruXta tired

I wouldn't know, never read the books and never tried the drugs he made.

13. Ralph Llama

You have never taken MDMA?
    Well, have a look at the books if you're at a loose end. They (Ann as well) tests out mind-altering drugs with a control group of psychiatrists, social workers, and other educated idiots and rate them for different psychiatric uses.

Here is the online verson of PiKAL

Erowid Online Books : "PIHKAL" - The Chemical Story

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  14. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

Many years ago the phrase "Never trust a hippy" used to grate on me - it didn't help that I had a more positive definition of the word "hippy" (as in people who wanted to embrace a more peaceful, spiritual way of life and escape the 'meaningless existence' of Western consumer society) than those that used the phrase. Now I fully understand where they are coming from, especially when I hear more news of their charlatanism, and how push psychedelics as some cure-all for all the world's ills (a bit like a tie-dye Scientology), not to mention some of the other quack BS they like to promote. Furthermore, the Eastern religions that usually heavily inspired this nonsense tend to be just as controlling and oppressive as their Western counterparts.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Well, this is a bit presumptive, no? I am blissfully unaware that 'hippies' had any sort of manifesto...and I am positively certain that 'hippy' was only ever the loosest term which mapped onto a whole range of social positions. In some places, the mere wearing a cheesecloth grandad vest...or disdaining team sports was enough to have you classified as such.
    Anyway, I have zero milligrams of shame about my fond recollections of hippiedom...and indeed, my continuing acquaintance (kind to animals, likes gardening, bright colours and drugs).

redcogs likes this.