1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nevada Bundy ranch - Stand off

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Barking_Mad, Apr 11, 2014.

1. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

2. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

:facepalm:

likesfish likes this.
  3. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

This was just a matter of time and I expect more of this:

Militia leader with ties to Cliven Bundy arrested in bomb plot

I do have some issues with how the feds handled this. It looks quite a lot like entrapment to me. He didn't actually build or deploy the bomb, he only pressed a button after being egged on by undercover FBI agents.

likesfish likes this.
  4. Yuwipi Woman

You have to wonder how much contact some of these folks have had with the world. In a way I feel sorry for them. They're dinosaurs on their way to extinction, and they know it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    muscovyduck and likesfish like this.
  5. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Yeah, Facebook? Might as well be banging on about Friendster or Bebo, granddad!

6. Yuwipi Woman

The problem with social media like Facebook is that it doesn't expose most people to anyone with different ideas. It all turns into a massive cluster fuck of the same, awful memes.

7. TomUS

TomUS non-resident

I have no problem with how the feds handled it. Best to be proactive with potential terrorists rather than wait until they do the deed.

8. Yuwipi Woman

I have to wonder if he'd have ever worked up the balls to actually do it if he didn't have several FBI agents egging him on. Entrapment used to be grounds for getting a case thrown out of court.

Since 9/11, and the Republican packing of the Supreme Court, its the accepted law enforcement goto. What can be used against Bundy and his crew, can equally be used against environmentalists or Black Lives Matters protesters. The Feds have a long history of breaking up groups demanding basic rights using these (and other) tactics.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    muscovyduck, Casually Red and NoXion like this.
  9. DaveCinzano

Well, quite - there's a long history of such provocateur activity, from the earliest COINTELPROs through to Green Scare stuff (Brandon Darby and the like) - which have overwhelmingly targeted those on the left, Black activists and environmentalists.

10. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

he's already been seen pointing guns at federal officers so doesnt really have much defence as after the "send snacks siege" the feds have taken off the gloves and are going to hammer any idiot who gives them an excuse.
    in any other country the"patriots defence league ":facepalm:
    would be dead or in jail.
    pose around an isolated farm in wales with real semi automatic weapons and see how long you last:hmm:

11. DaveCinzano

Given budget cuts, it's unlikely to be spotted by any copper on patrol for weeks if not months :D

UnderAnOpenSky and likesfish like this.
  12. likesfish

tbf if "britan first commandos" got hold of real guns they'd probably end of in a&e after shooting themselves or one of the other "commandos" by accident:D
    but imagine they are competent not to actually kill themselves (I wonder if you can:D) the response from the state would be overwhelming.

gawkrodger and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  13. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Though they will spam facebook with their secret drills so it will all be over by tea time. Or their mi 5 handler calls the cops as fed up listening to the morons.

likesfish likes this.
  14. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

yeah...worked fantastically with the black panthers after all . And with those damn Iraqis.

15. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

in ones and 2s surely, but by the hundreds ...and when you've a legal right to bear them and defend yourself...even from the feds in some instances ? not so simple.
    mind you it'd be pissing rain in wales .

likesfish likes this.
  16. likesfish

the feds played it well
    fortunately the fact you cant use crayon to fill in a fire arms certificate rather limits Britans first chance of an armed stand off:D

Casually Red likes this.
  17. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

18. DaveCinzano

19. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

frogwoman and DaveCinzano like this.
  20. likesfish

Even the Oath Bearers the armed loons who turned up to halp in fergursion are saying away from the trial think the Bundys have seriously damaged the "patriots" cause :D

By being utter fuckwits

21. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. 8den

23. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

We had a case like that. Two radicals were apparently going to set off a bomb at the BC Legislature. But as it turns out, most of the planning etc was done by police undercover agents. They were convicted, then the conviction was overturned on the basis that the cops went too far.

Terror convictions overturned for pair who planned to blow up B.C. Legislature

24. Yuwipi Woman

25. Yuwipi Woman

26. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

their attorney managed to get himself tasered in court which is a strange way to celebrate wining your case for the client

27. 8den

I'm not a lawyer but if you're accused of having illegal firearms doesnt the fact that theres loads of social media posts showing you with guns, you were arrested with guns, and 17,000 rounds of ammo were found in the refugee make this more of an open or shut case.

28. Yuwipi Woman

You would think, wouldn't ya.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  29. 8den

Oregon militants found not guilty in 'unbelievable, truly astonishing' verdict

I'm trying to find the article that gave a good overview of the sentencing. In summary it was the conspiracy to intimidate and harass federal employees charge that fucked up the case. The state couldn't prove that the "ranchers" set out to intimidate and harass the staff at the reserve so the charges were dropped. The trespassing and firearms charges were tied to the conspiracy charges, hence the acquittal of all charges once the conspiracy case wasn't effectively made.

30. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

How convenient. I will be hoping that the protesters at standing rock who have been arrested also escape any punishment.