Netflix recommendations

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Jon-of-arc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

It's a western, isn't it? I'm trying to sell it as a "must watch" to the other half. She liked "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rober Ford" and "The Hateful 8"... I guess it's nothing like them, of course....

2. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

Best ending of any series ever? That's a bold claim

3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The last episode of Godless is pretty special, tbf.

D'wards likes this.
  4. chandlerp

Need to get watching it then

Spymaster likes this.
  5. krtek a houby

Without spoilers, can someone give me a soundbyte as to why it's so worthy?

I'm already sold without knowing much about, it btw

6. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

Godless? It's a Western but written in a more modern style. The characters are well formed and the story is well done. It looks good too.

Just watch it! :D

D'wards and Spymaster like this.
  7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Great storylines, well acted, superb scenery. I'm not big into westerns but once I'd watched the first couple of episodes I had to binge it. It ends very satisfyingly too.

8. krtek a houby

ah, self contained then, as opposed to Deadwood... ok, cheers :)

9. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

It's a Western done well. Great baddie. Great scenery and characters, slow burning but some apocalyptic action at times. I loved it.

krtek a houby and D'wards like this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

We're really enjoying La Casa de Papel at the moment. It's a Spanish heist series with a bunch of robbers holding up the Spanish mint and staying one step ahead of the cops (so far) despite fucking-up royally every now and then. Very good acting and characters and an extremely intriguing storyline but the subtitles are a bit fast for me :mad:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  11. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Is Deadwood worth a watch then if we enjoyed Godless?

12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

It was ended by the studio without resolution on anything. If you can handle that...enjoy.

My honest opinion is that there is just way too much good stuff out there, you can't watch everything. Watch Hannibal, Spartacus or Rick and Morty. Deadwood is good yup...but there is a lot better out there these days.

Spymaster and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  13. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

It kind of is really. Has the feeling of Jesse James and violence of hateful 8

krtek a houby likes this.
  14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

FUCK YEAH

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  15. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

San Francisco cocksucker :mad:

Orang Utan and DexterTCN like this.
  16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

So the story doesn't have an ending? :hmm:

17. Orang Utan

Nope. The 3rd series certainly has an ending, but there is no grand series finale. Still totally worth a watch though.
    (there is also a plan for them to finish it off with a tv movie or something, but I'm not sure if that's still happening)

Spymaster likes this.
  18. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Westerns are not my thing, so I wouldn't have watched Godless if it wasn't for this thread, but I loved it. Took me a while to work out that the lead guy was Cook from Skins all grown up.

krtek a houby likes this.
  19. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

not really- mentioning deadwood in the same breath as Hannibal for instance. Hannibals good, but its not top drawer

Nanker Phelge and Orang Utan like this.
  20. Orang Utan

Poppycock. Deadwood is leagues above all of those shows (and also not really that comparable)

21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I get really pissed off at crap endings though, never mind no ending. This sounds like it’ll have me tearing my hair out.

22. chandlerp

Deadwood told lots of stories to their conclusion but was left hanging on the last one.

Spymaster likes this.
  23. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

BoxRoom likes this.
  24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Ah, ok.

25. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

I've been watching Devilman Crybaby - I think it gives a wonderful insight into how teenage boys minds work. :D It *must* be a metaphor for teenage hormones/rage. (No, I'm not an Anime fan or connoisseur, I'm a middle aged woman ;) )

I haven't stopped watching it yet, I'm halfway through...

26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

End of the F***ing World - adapted from the Graphic Novel.

Starts off as Dexter Jnr, ends up as a poignant love story/road movie.

Great show. Really enjoyed this. Short eps that would work strung together as a film.

27. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

One definitely to watch out, premiering (I think) on Netflix on Feburary 23rd:

Mute directed by Duncan Jones (yes, son of David Bowie). Described as a sci/fi film noir set in a near future Berlin. Tips a hat to Blade Runner apparently.

Stars Alexander Skarsgard, Paul Rudd, Justin Theroux.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  28. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

I loved this series , sympathy for unlovable characters is a real sign of a great plotline and acting . I can see this being remade and almost certainly spoilt with a US remake , it just lends itself to a US back drop .

29. bryanthhen

bryanthhen New Member

house of the wax, amazing film of two twin brothers

30. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins FFS can I just have some peace??

Last night I watched "Swiss Army Man". It's probably not for everyone but I can't stop thinking about it.
    I was initially annoyed by it but it has Paul Dano and I adore Paul Dano so I stuck with it. I still can't decide whether I actually liked it or not but it is stuck in my head due to it's downright oddness. Actually I think it is mainly annoying and I would not watch it again.

starfish and Badgers like this.