Netflix recommendations

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Jon-of-arc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Fully self-actualised

UK Netflix, primarily. If you want to recommend US Netflix stuff, please state clearly that's where it's available.

So, there's a lot of dross on Netflix, and a few out and out classics. Buffy, BB, life on Mars, 24.

But there's also plenty of obscure stuff. The booth at the end, is something I've recently been enjoying. Intelligence, as well. Check them both out, for quality drama, that hasn't got the publicity of the above examples. You'll know whether your interested enough to carry on after the first episode, in both cases.

Please make your own suggestions, especially if it's something you discovered just browsing through. Ta.

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

House Of Cards, Orange Is The New Black.

3. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Been watching Contnuum, not bad sci fi type shooter, on US Netfilx I think, I use Media hint addon.

4. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Fully self-actualised

Fillums as well, please.

5. Kidda

Kidda Z is for stripey oss

afterlife

6. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

I got kind of bored of the latter after about 6 episodes, and I don't get bored easily. I really wanted to like though.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Can this be just a general review kind of thing, too? I've not watched much just by stumbling that has turned out to be good, but if we can recommend stuff to avoid then that's surely useful, too?

Cashback (film) - Absolute shite. Avoid.
    Mutant Girls Squad (film, US) - Not great but utterly ridiculous, so it's watchable.
    Hemlock Grove (series) - Absolute shite. Netflix's version of Twilight. Avoid.
    Upstream Color (film, US) - Really interesting. Well worth a watch.
    The Babysitters (film, US) - Awful. Avoid.
    Rubber (film, US) - Fantastic bit of satire, but seems to polarise. I'd say give it a try. You'll know if it's for you within 15 minutes.

Jon-of-arc likes this.
  8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Kill, Baby...Kill! (film, US) - Italian horror from the 60s. Quite dated but well worth a watch.

9. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Hemlock Grove was shit but I still really enjoyed it :oops:

Lie to Me with Tim Roth was ridiculous but very good at the same time imho

Badgers and dervish like this.
  10. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Fringe. Great Sci Fi cop drama mix.

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I watched two episodes and to be honest, I couldn't even follow it. I don't remember being stoned or drunk :confused: It just seemed bizarre to me, and not well written.

Anyway, I'm not the target audience for it, clearly. :)

12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

13. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Yeah, Fringe is basically a more scientific X-Files for the modern age. On that note, I'm rewatching X-Files from the beginning again on Netflix right now (US, not sure if it's on UK).

Also watching Parks and Recreation (US). Took a while to get going, but I'm midway through the 2nd season now and really enjoying it. Sort of like The (US) Office but different. I adore Leslie Knope.

I watched Orange is the New Black twice :oops:

Nurse Jackie - last time I looked not all current seasons were available, but perhaps that's changed since. Really got sucked in. Her life is absolutely fucked up, and yet it doesn't treat her terrible choices in life with any kind of judgement - she just does what she does. She doesn't try to apologise for it, there's no moralising, she just is who she is. It's brilliant.

Keep meaning to get around to watching Firefly, never seen it before. And a rewatch of Buffy is in order at some point. There are only so many hours in the day though, frankly. I think US Netflix has Babylon 5 too :oops:

I'm so glad I splashed out on a Netflix sub. A million times better than shitty Lovefilm.

kittyP likes this.
  14. baffled

baffled Well-Known Member

If you can get on the Canadian site then Rectify is a superb slow burning drama.

On the UK site Damages and Justified are well worth your time.

On the US site there's a documentary/film called The Imposter that's pretty good, wasn't sure where it was going at the beginning but glad I stuck with it.

15. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Damages is one of the best things I have seen in a long time.

Badgers and Spymaster like this.
  16. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Oh, and Trailer Park Boys is funny as fuck, great stuff.

J Ed, neonwilderness and keybored like this.
  17. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

My head has been a bit busy atm so I have mainly been sitting up watching old period dramas on it for shame :oops:

Lepton likes this.
  18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

American Horror Story (series) - Good. I've only seen series one and that was enjoyable enough, but apparently series two is miles better. Sadly it isn't on either US nor UK Netflix yet. Each series is stand-alone, so don't worry about having to wait too long for a conclusion.

19. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

They are both excellent!
    I personally preffered the second one but they are both really good.
    New one starts "Coven" on Sfx in a week or so. :cool:

Fez909 likes this.
  20. baffled

baffled Well-Known Member

A few things that I've got on my list to watch, think these are all on the UK site.

Downfall
    The Lives of Others
    The Baader Meinhof Complex
    5 Broken Cameras

Mab likes this.
  21. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Frasier, Louis, 30 Rock. Not sure which one they're on, I've got both.

22. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The Conversation (film) - One of the best films I've seen for ages. Won loads of awards apparently but I hadn't heard of it until I stumbled on it on Netflix

23. tar1984

tar1984 write a song, i'll sing along

This might be of interest - every netflix show arranged in order by its IMDBviewer rating. LINK

Watch 'it's always sunny in philadelphia', a funny/mental sitcom.

Edit: I think some of these are on US netflix only.

lolo, Spymaster, Fez909 and 2 others like this.
  24. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

The last gladiators.

25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Cheers for the steer on this. It's brilliant. I got well into it after watching the pilot, then watched the entire first series over the weekend. Normally I probably wouldn't have bothered with a Canadian series but this is slick and thoroughly compelling. Kind of Spooks meets the Soprano's in Vancouver. Ace.

Manter and Jon-of-arc like this.
  26. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

I really liked Touch, and Sherlock. Both good mystery/chase series.

Mrs reckoned Lie to Me was good, more for the main character than the storylines though.

27. fucthest8

fucthest8 Almost none of you want to discuss anything.

It just gets better and better. Ron Swanson is my actual hero :D

As for recommendations, let you know. Just got Netflix so I could finally catch up on Breaking Bad. Let you know what else I find!

28. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Series 2 now on Netflix (US)

29. blairsh

blairsh Reclusive wanker

Watched Super8 the other night, Spielberg & JJ Abrahams feel good sci fi. Rather enjoyed mesen :)

30. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Wild Bill. Great british film.

Mab likes this.