netflix: Altered Carbon

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by DotCommunist, Jan 20, 2016.

1. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

ChrisC, Sherman Tank, ringo and 5 others like this.
  2. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Aaaaace. Although it will of course be pap

3. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Oh yes.

4. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

5. DotCommunist

hopefully this will be a smash and the long promised Nueromancer film will get made on the back of it. Every other six months or so theres a litlle rumour...and if you adapt Morgan, why not Gibson?

SpookyFrank and ringo like this.
  6. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

I'd like to see Idris Elba play the lead in an adaptation of Morgan's Black Man (genetically engineered super soldier bites back).

likesfish and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  7. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Is Nuromancer (sorry spelling) definitely not being made? Actually was meant to be last year at some point wasn't it IIRC.

Will try and get this though.

8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Who can play Takeshi Kovacs though? Considering he inhabits several bodies.
    I had Benjamin Bratt in my visual imagination for some reason, but he's too old now
    [​IMG]

9. DotCommunist

last I saw was some concept art last year- the back of a dude with a big fist on his back, one of those SWP style fists. Good pic. Since then nada thing but I haven't been looking hard. It has to happen sooner or later

10. DotCommunist

stath
    vin diesel
    daniel craig (in a parralel universe where he'd take a netflix show role)

likesfish likes this.
  11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

james corden

Corax and Flipstick like this.
  12. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Yeah just had a Google, Seems last news was director Vincenzo Natali leaving the would be project last summer. There's been some good SF films in the last few years, you'd think the timing would have to be right circa now. Script has apparently been ready for years with Gibson's direct involvement.

I've still got the old MP3 player I listened to the audiobook version of that trilogy on, I asked him to sign at a talk. :cool:

Dom Traynor likes this.
  13. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Fucking awesome.

14. Teenage Cthulhu

Teenage Cthulhu Back at Easter Banned

There is a sequel to Thirteen out soon. Set on Mars.

Extracts of which are available on his website.

Idris2002 likes this.
  15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Driving without headlights

It's written by the guy who wrote Terminator Genisys (garbage) and Avatar (very pretty, garbage script) so hopes are not high tbh.

Teenage Cthulhu likes this.
  16. DotCommunist

its written by richard morgan so as long as the scripter (she btw) sticks to source and just adapts it for tv it'll be amazing.

Sherman Tank likes this.
  17. UnderAnOpenSky

I want to share you're faith. :)

Sadly A good screenplay is about more then just sticking to the book. Still I do hope it's good and does well so they do the others.

18. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Ooh, got this in me pile of books to read this year. I'll get cracking - i like to read the novels before the adaptations.

19. Teenage Cthulhu

Teenage Cthulhu Back at Easter Banned

This gives me hope:

The original Warner Brothers movie option had lapsed, and Mythology Entertainment took it on with pretty much the same aim in mind. Kalogridis wrote a movie script, Mythology went looking for a movie director. The problem is that Altered Carbon falls somewhat between two stools – it has a lot of the same DNA as your standard SF franchise blockbuster (explosive widescreen action, CGI futurescapes, gosh-wow locations and ultra cool tech that all demand high-budget special effects) but the book’s heart lies a long way from your average dumb shock-and-awe multiplex fest. Laeta Kalogridis understood this, and the script she wrote reflected that understanding – early drafts came in at over three hours, even the late draft that went out to directors was hitting near the two and a half hour mark. And it was complex, textured, full of lovingly rendered detail. Basically, in order not to kill the spirit of the book, she’d created a screenplay everybody loved but no-one could find the money for. The list of directors who can command the kind of studio budget you’d need for something like that is pretty damn’ short – and unfortunately, all those guys were busy.

Now, this is the point where your average Hollywood player shrugs, writes off a couple of years of hard work to experience, hands you back your property and moves on to pastures new. And there was every indication that this was what would happen. But Laeta Kalogridis is not your average anything, and she just wouldn’t quit. She’s a huge fan of the book and she’d told me, all the way back in 2010, that for her this was a passion project. And that passion, plus a lucky encounter, was enough to bring it home. Kalogridis had been working with David Ellison at Skydance on other projects, and they both ended up talking about the problems of gettingAltered Carbon onto the screen. Ellison, it turns out, was another huge fan of the book, and his solution was simple – if it won’t stand the transformation into a two hour movie, then why compromise? Turn it into a big-budget TV show and you get eight, ten, maybe even twelve hours of screen time to play with, all the space in the world you could need to lay out the soul of the book in full. Oh yeah, and by the way Skydance would love to be a part of doing exactly that.

The rest is – soon to be written – history. The Ellison/Kalogridis pitch was so impassioned, so full on, that Netflix didn’t even ask for a pilot. They commissioned ten episodes at maxed out budget, just like that.​

20. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

21. The Octagon

Few sneaky clips leaked, looks like they're throwing some money at it effects-wise, hopefully the story matches up to the book.

First

Second

Third

Fourth

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  22. The Octagon

Teaser trailer released -

Didn't picture Kovacs (in the main police officer sleeve) as that young, but a minor quibble, the rest looks good.

May re-read the book soon, been a few years.

23. DotCommunist

all the noise is that this is 'the most expensive netflix show ever made'. Now obviously money is no guarantee of quality but it does mean all the future things will look good

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  24. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

*scoffs*

25. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Looks forward to a particularly high quality ...
    head in the fridge bit
    then

26. UnderAnOpenSky

Hopefully. It's proper far future though, so be intresting to see their interpretation of just how ancient earth is.

27. DotCommunist

Thats Mark Anthony from HBO's Rome as the Meth whose murder Kovacs is looking into. This is good news. He does barely contained brutal power and amorality well.

alcopop and marty21 like this.
  28. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Just hope it doesn't follow the trajectory of that other expensive Netflix show which was ace for the first season and then gave us a terrible xmas ep followed by an average second season with a mild hope of tying it up in the future...

That said, I'm reasonably excited. If it does an Expanse vibe, which so far has been excellent, I'll be happy.

29. DotCommunist

if you've not read the novels I do reccomend. 'Woken Furies' is the best, in my humble

marty21, likesfish and krtek a houby like this.
  30. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Yeah, I'm not doing any other big novel series apart from Erikson at the mo. 4 books in and taking a breather. After that lot, I'm either doing Reynolds (Rev Space) or Banks (Culture).

Maybe in 3 years or however long it takes! Meantime, I'm all set for the telly adaptations...