Need A New Frying Pan

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Spymaster, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Lupa

Lupa A loving heart is the truest wisdom

I've a big old cast iron frying pan. Got it from my grandmother. It's well seasoned. Very good for steaks or chicken breasts or chops...good for frying sausages and bacon providing the bacon is not wafer thin. But it is absolutely the worst for frying eggs.
    I use a stainless steel pan for frying eggs and omelettes.

The cast iron pan is very heavy and really holds the heat... when I'm finished with it I just let it cool down and give it a good wipe of kitchen paper and a wipe with some oiled paper and it's ready for use again.

Badgers likes this.
  2. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

I bought my sister one years ago. She says she uses it but I've never seen her use it.

Badgers likes this.
  3. antimata

antimata neck chops

another big fan of cast iron pans...heavy is good.

aluminum nonstick can suck it, toxic junk...well the shite available here is anyway...

i cook on gas...

Badgers likes this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Badgers likes this.
  5. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

Hmmm! not for one moment doubting your experience with your Greenpan but mine is anything but brilliant - I've had an old non-stick stainless steel Meyer for coming up to 20 years now and this is so much better than my brand new treated like a baby Greenpan fry pan. Like you've we've got an induction hob but I rue the day I ever got my Greenpan - almost to the extent that I've more than once considered throwing it away, not even charity shopping it

6. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention ones with a lid as it's something I've just put on my shopping list. Although, I'm sure I could just find a lid off eBay!

Badgers likes this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Having just bought a new baby sized green pan saucepan, we found there was a fault with it when we got it home; it wont work on our induction hob despite the fact that it should be able to.
    Wrote to green pan and they replied by return to say a new pan is in the post.
    hats off to Green Pan, great customer service :thumbs:

Lupa and Badgers like this.
  8. High Voltage

I don't doubt that their customer service is excellent - it's the "non" stick surface that's anything but excellent - I treated mine like a new born baby whereas the Meyer one mentioned above I just stopped short of knocking in nails - the Green pan didn't stay very non-stick - the Meyer remained up until it's very last a far far superior product even when it wasn't as non-stick as it had been it was still better than the Greenpan

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  9. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I love the Le Creuset casserole pans but found their saucepans and frying pan just awful. It wasn’t the weight, which I liked. It was the enamelling in the saucepans, which is totally impractical. Give me stainless steel saucepans any day. The frying pan I just didn’t really get on with.

The frying pan got buggered somehow but I was one of those people that gave a bunch of Le Creuset saucepans to a charity shop.

10. High Voltage

And I did end up charity shopping the Greenpan - I replaced it with a Beka non-stick frying pan - the nearest I can find to the old Meyer by way of quality and non-stickness - run it through the dishwasher, no problem

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

don't do that, many former owners have been clattered to the ground and only then found the bloody thing's an excellent boomerang

Badgers and High Voltage like this.
  12. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I have both a Greenpan and a Creuset frying pan.The Greenpan is useless it's marked up and is really difficult to clean the Creuset on the other hand only needs a quick run around with a dishcloth and it still looks brand new.

Lupa likes this.
  13. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

I've got an induction hob and so went round charity shops testing saucepan bases with a magnet. I got a Swiss Royal line which is really good but for some weird reason has a dimpled inner base. Only thing I can think of is that it gives higher heat transfer than just a flat one but makes cleaning it a bit of a faff. Anyone know why they'd do that?

14. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I bought new frying pans in John Lewis last week. Still can't get to the bottom of the 'lifetime' guarantee but the sales assistant agreed with me that they last about 2 years if you use them very regularly.

But oh the joy of a new non stick frying pan....

Badgers likes this.
  15. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

I'm guessing it's for the fat to drain into for healthier frying?

two sheds likes this.
  16. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

If you want iron pans or woks you can't go wrong with one of Netherton's

Spun Iron Frying Pans

I've just been mulling-over buying another frying pan but the wife, not unreasonably, pointed out we already have half a dozen so I reluctantly agreed to put the purchase off for a while :mad:

Mr.Bishie and Badgers like this.
  17. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Bloody hell, woks do not need £60 spent on them.

18. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Casting his shadow weaving his spell

I’m after a “good” wok, link please that ain’t 60 notes.

19. two sheds

Interesting but I'm still not sure - they're only *little* dimples and get clogged easily - after which I have to get scraping as usual (as in the two phases of cooking: stirring then scraping).

20. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

I was wrong :oops:
    The revolutionary "Dimple" design features the closest to non-stick performance you can get in the market for cookware that is made of stainless steel. The dimples on the base of the cookware traps air while cooking. Thus forming a thin air cushion that reduces sticking of food items on the cookware.

two sheds likes this.
  21. two sheds

22. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Depends on what hob you have... To be completely honest one thing those £60 ones are probably good for is flatness (though I'm not convinced any very thin steel will keep its shape that well). I have a 'flat' wok, but I'm not sure it would be flat enough for an electric cooker. Proper woks have a fully round base, but Chinese hobs have adaptors for them, and are a bit more powerful.

I got mine from Wing Yip - Hancock 14", all of £8.34. 0.8-1mm carbon steel with a nice wooden handle. It has served me well... Chinese supermarkets can be a good place to look too.

They do need a bit of work - Chinese ones will often come with a lacquer coating (stops them rusting in transit/the shop). That needs to be scoured off (though I think I got bored and just hit it with a blow-torch). Then they'll need seasoning, plenty of youtube guides on that. But that's the same for a cast iron skillet etc.

I had a nice non-stick wok, which has vanished... Tefal I think. Good for healthy cooking, but it worked in a very different way from my proper wok.

872C0E3D-4B40-464A-A0A6-9BC4D54B127D.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Mr.Bishie likes this.
  23. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

My brothers bought me a Chinese wok for my 18th birthday. It’s fully rounded, wooden handle, massive, and is now black. I’ve never washed it just wipe it out with kitchen roll. Had it 23 years- I’d imagine it’ll last me the rest of my life as I can’t think how it could go wrong?

Mr.Bishie, a_chap, Cid and 1 other person like this.
  24. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I have a Meyer - it isn't a non stick one though, just a really hefty stainless steel job with a long handle, it is great for finishing off frittata under the grill. Have had it for - fucking hell - nearly 30 years I think, looks like new, handle still firmly attached, good bit of kitchen kit. Can't recall what it cost me at the time, I guess since it has lasted nearly 30 years so far, it counts as a right bargain - I don't recall it being massively expensive.

High Voltage likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

26. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Thank god!

It's my half-dozen non-stick pans to blame :D

Spymaster likes this.