Need A New Frying Pan

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Spymaster, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Ah, kitchen boasting is it? You should see my pan handle.

Yuwipi Woman, TitanSound and stuff_it like this.
  2. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

Just wait until I get my meat pounder out :D

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  3. ringo

Mrs R can barely get her hand round it.

4. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

:D @ thread

5. Hassan I Sabha

Hassan I Sabha Kick Muck !

6. ringo

I picked up one of his from TKMaxx - a deep, spherical non-stick saucepan perfect for making the bechemel sauce required for industrial quantities of macaroni cheese.

7. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

something something something big chopper.

8. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

*sucks in breath and rubs hands*

Well, if you came into my shop I'd ask what cooker you have. Induction? Go for Stellar as long as you're careful with your heat. If you're not then cast iron.

Gas? Green Pan frying pans are lovely. They're ceramic coated, don't have PTFE or the glues and heat up nicely. I have one myself. There are several websites via Google saying their pans are rubbish but mine is working out quite well for me.

AMT is a German brand which are rather good. They are cast aluminium and titanium but cook like cast iron. The Teflon is lasered on rather than sprayed so they're pretty hard working but as always, use wooden or silicone tools in it.

Yes go for cheaper frying pans, leave them on the heat to warm up and then wonder why the Teflon has withered away to nothing. It's worth forking out for a good pan full stop but especially a cast iron jobbie that you can use for years and years but it will take some time to get it up to non stick level.

Circulon are okay. Tefal and Prestige don't touch cos they're okay for a bit but they've no lifespan really since they moved production to the Far East. A lifetime guarantee on a frying pan is the lifetime of the pan, not your lifetime and of course manufacturers don't tell you what you should expect that to be. Don't put them in the dishwasher even if it says dishwasher safe and don't leave them on the heat to reach astronomical temperatures.

Oh dear. Bit of a lecture that. Mind I do say all that quite a few times in a week!

kabbes, fogbat, 5t3IIa and 1 other person like this.
  9. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

That explains it, I've got some fantastic stainless steel Prestige pans I got as a wedding present 12 years ago and when I searched for their equivalent all the current Prestige pans looked really shit. I must have got mine before they moved production.

Also, I put all my pans in the dishwasher, what's going to happen to them?

10. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Meyer Circulon.
    Had a Meyer non-stick wok that lasted about 10 years of near-daily use before the coating started to get worn, and currently have a Meyer steep-sided frying-pan that is totally the business for everything from a fried egg to a steak to a pancake.

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

All the Circulon range are bloody good. I'd buy a full set of their saucepans like a shot if my current set of stainless steel pans didn't still have plenty of wear in them.

13. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

They're not suddenly going to evaporate but it does shorten the life of your pans considerably. Time was that the cleaning agents that went into dishwasher were just very plain cleaners. Now they reek of citrus, and they salt and rinse too which is great for your dishwasher, not so good for your metal pans, stainless steel or not. Same goes for knives which also get battered by the water jets pushing them back and forth. And cutlery should be taken out as soon as the wash cycle finishes. In short. it's better to hand wash.

14. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

15. Addy

Addy cooking...

you need at least 3 different frying pans/wok IMO
    A good heavy cast iron one for the longer cook, as mentioned once seasoned, only wash with warm water and your fingers.
    A good aluminium pan for fast heating and frying of spices cause it disepates the heat evenly and fast, and cools fast too.
    A high carbon pan/wok well seasoned for the final dishes to be kept on heat.
    A general non stick pan for frying your eggs.

16. ringo

I very rarely feel the need to stick a bottle brush up my pan handle.

kabbes and pinkmonkey like this.
  17. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

Good for cooking meat too. The resulting "fond" is integral for a good pan sauce.

18. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Turns out they're prestige, from before prestige went to shit I guess.

Spymaster likes this.
  19. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I bought a couple of cast iron pans at a charity shop and they're my favorite pans. They do take some work. I like that you can brown something on the stove and put it in the oven to cook without worrying about melting the handles.

Second favorite is my ceramic coated Orgreenic pan. You can cook in it without any oil, but I use a tiny bit for the flavor.

21. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I keep one cast iron skillet and I love it. I think it would be madness to have more than one though.

I tend to buy whatever's on sale every 3 years or so. We're a bit harsh on them, and nothing with a coating is going to last much more than that. Usually there's a deal with 3 pans for £35 or something and I go for that.

22. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

i've had a small tesco's non stick frying pan since i went to uni 15 years ago. I stole it off my mum, so it is even older than that.
    Its lasted really well, and has only just started to lose its stick recently.

I doubt they still make the same one though..

23. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I've got that frying pan - picked it up when they were flogging them cheap in Sainsbury's for eight quid. Damn good pans, and dead easy to clean as all the burnt on bits just slide off the non-stick.

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I need some new pans but am probably on a tighter budget than Spymaster :D

Got a small Dunelm 'two egg' frying pan but the bigger pan and wok are cheap, shit and worn down :(
    How much stuff so you fry :eek:

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Do have a cast iron steak griddle pan which is ace.

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

27. TruXta

TruXta tired

Badgers likes this.
  28. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

Badgers likes this.
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!