Nearly the end at Paddington today (HST)

Discussion in 'transport' started by davesgcr, May 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM.

1. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The 1303 to Plymouth , this station will not be the same. 60303449_10212991311837551_2290082192929325056_n.jpg

60392933_10212991311157534_7866191422477565952_n.jpg

60719929_10212991310997530_8690892707440099328_n.jpg

60336794_10212991310957529_4922394110217682944_n.jpg

A380, Judelo, Poi E and 8 others like this.
  2. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Here's a pic I took of my brother and mum on one of the first ever HST's out of Birmingham New Street. It was a big deal at the time.

My mum was a station master at a small station just outside Brum.

Attached Files:

• 125.jpeg
      125.jpeg
      File size:
      164.2 KB
      Views:
    A380, neonwilderness, Judelo and 9 others like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

I don't suppose it bore the slightest resemblance to the life depicted in the lamentable "oh dr beeching"

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

There were great cheap offers (like Cardiff - London for 125 pence) , and much more. A perfect launch of a good train. Served us very well over the years. Good memories.

A380, Riklet, Judelo and 3 others like this.
  5. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I'd never seen that before and didn't delve too deep but I'm going to say no it didn't. :D

Pickman's model and Smick like this.
  6. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I can't remember where we went but it was booked for the train rather than the destination. Very exciting it was. The future. 125mph. Madness!

7. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Avoid at all costs - appalling rubbish of the highest order.

A380, Pickman's model and spitfire like this.
  8. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I remember when they were launched , there was great excitement about the 125 , way more than subsquent train launches .

I try to forget that Sir Jimmy Savile was in adverts at the time I think :hmm:

9. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse In the area

The theme tune was quite catchy.

spitfire likes this.
  10. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Around the same time Gary Glitter advertised the ‘Young Person’s Railcard’.

Loved the 125s. Or the 253s as we trainspotters also knew them.

marty21 and spitfire like this.
  11. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Best UK trains :thumbs:

A380 and spitfire like this.
  12. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

It’s not really be the same since they re-engined them a few years back, losing us the familiar high-pitched scream of the Paxman Valenta power unit. Would be nice to hear that again on the mainline.

Short formation sets will be continuing on some south west services out of Bristol, and there’s also cross country sets still in operation. Not gone just yet. Scotland has also just refurbished some for Edinburgh-Glasgow.

A380 likes this.
  13. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

East Coast Main Line ones I understand are staying there until all or most of the 91/mk4s (aka 225s) have gone (IETs like on GWR are coming there..). Also Midland Main Line still has some, I understand with screaming valentas?

All this is through occasional lurkings on railforums, but not following discussions intently..

14. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I grew up living right next to the East Coast Mainline and remember being deafened by them and also coal trains :D

The newer ones didn’t quite sound the same.

15. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 12:08 PM
  16. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

They’ll always be “flying bananas” in my mind :)

17. editor

editor Forked with electrons

The first class seats in the HSTs were absolute luxury. HUGE leather seats.

18. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

Tamworth_railway_station_MMB_27_43062.jpg

19. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

20. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

21. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

fairly sure that was only after refurbishment

(first class as new)

(second class as new)

The mark 3 coaches were the first to have the same bodyshell for first and second, so the window pillars didn't quite line up with the seats in second class - although not as badly as some of the more recent stuff...

22. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

Just noticed your wording. For services to Aberdeen and Inverness as well - "Inter7City".. Four and five car sets. Long and troubled process getting them converted (DDA mods etc) apparently.

23. editor

24. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

Real leather? ;)

25. editor

I didn't smell it to check.

Judelo likes this.
  26. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

There was a Facebook live from Padd.

Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Scroll down to post #1603.

Starts off a bit wobbly, but give it a few mins till the last HST rolls in and the slightly annoying presenter gets going. Does get better as it goes along, if you pardon the guy getting a bit confused with his facts here and there. Includes a chat with Kenneth Grange (designer of the power car 'nose'), and ends in the back cab of the last one as it departs.

27. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

And teuchter has posted a couple of pics on the 'Where are you on the transport network' thread.

28. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Went to see the last one off, and for the occasion ventured down to the footbridge at the top of the road I grew up on where I used to watch them back in the late 70s (moved away in 78). Bit poignant.

Two other people on the bridge to watch it go through, who were both GWR drivers that live locally, one of them is still driving the short formation sets that are running west of Bristol.